Mercedes CLC 180k RF ariel / Central locking issue

Anthony Salvatore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 2008 CLC 180k sports coupe
Hi all,

I've seen similar threads where people have their rear window tinted & they eventually lose the ability to lock their car via RF, I have had the issue for several months now, I first checked the fuse 8 I think it was which was fine, changed the batteries on the key which didn't help, and then thought it must have been my key which was damaged and dented.

I then got a brand new key and the locksmith checked my fuses and said they were fine and that I had an radio antenna issue.

I have a aftermarket android head unit with DAB+ radio attached so it's not an easy job for me to check if my FM radio is working fine, it wasn't great after installing the new head unit anyway.

My question now is do I have to replace the antenna amp & the rear window on my CLC?

Would the cheapest option be to buy a new tailgate and get someone to change the rear window over as I've seen mentioned before or is there an alternative?

Unlocking the car via IR aiming at the driver side door handle seems to work about half of the time, sometimes it takes me about 10 button presses or different angles before I finally get the car to unlock.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm based in London and don't mind traveling if it means getting my central locking working how it should.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I may be wrong.
The antenna amp in the rear C-pillar is one suspect, as is a possible break in the window antenna itself.
I'm pretty certain that these issues have come up before - the window antenna could be checked with a multi-meter I guess. I had a feeling that someone in the past has managed to repair a window antenna with some conductive paint, but I'd have to search.

OP
Anthony Salvatore

Anthony Salvatore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I may be wrong.
The antenna amp in the rear C-pillar is one suspect, as is a possible break in the window antenna itself.
I'm pretty certain that these issues have come up before - the window antenna could be checked with a multi-meter I guess. I had a feeling that someone in the past has managed to repair a window antenna with some conductive paint, but I'd have to search.

I've read up on it quite a bit, I read 1 person changed their whole rear window which fixed the issue, didn't see anything about the conductive paint but I'd be happy to remove the tint and give it a try at this point, I've had the issue for about 5 months now and it's a headache at times.

andrew Slater

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi ES sport coupe / 2006 / 2148cc
Hi,
Contact Ian at star, he's on here, based in Caversham Reading.
I'll be taking my car to him as soon as I possibly can, I have the same issue with the antenna modulator.
Hope you get it sorted.

OP
Anthony Salvatore

Anthony Salvatore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
Contact Ian at star, he's on here, based in Caversham Reading.
I'll be taking my car to him as soon as I possibly can, I have the same issue with the antenna modulator.
Hope you get it sorted.

Hi, any chance you could get me his contact details?

Email or a phone number would be great, I'd really like to sort this issue ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom