Help with importing my car from Germany

rodisi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI 1999 W210
Has anyone got experience in bringing a car to the UK and registering it? I am going crazy trying to do that. I filled the NOVA form for HMRC. Now I'm trying to register it, which I'm doing through the V355-5 form
https://assets.publishing.service.g...-and-registration-of-a-used-motor-vehicle.pdf
‘Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle’. The information required is unbelievable. Ive managed to fill most of it using their guide and from my EC Certificate of Conformity but several boxes cannot be filled because the certificate doesn't have that information
e.g. Vehicle family identification number - not even the dealer knows what that is.
Then there is a list of Supporting Documents that are required, some of them adding "Where Appropriate". How do I know if it's appropriate?
The worse part is their statement that if the form and documentation are not complete, they will return the application. Even scarier is the statement "Note: we do not return original non-UK registration documents or certificates". I need those so I can return my plates to Germany and deregister the car.
Any help will be gratefully accepted.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
This is why we needed the local DVLA offices. It's a shame they have been closed. Last car I imported from the US I had to fill in the equivalent form you have. A lot of the information requested I couldn't make head or tail of, but the guy in the local office went through the forms with me and it was all sorted in a couple of days with the new UK plates.

I'd be tempted to telephone DVLA and explain the problem, although you might have difficulty in getting through. They don't return registration documents, but they must be able to tell you what to do as far as deregistration in Germany is concerned.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I had the opposite problem -I had to register in France a Mercedes bought in UK.

On my French 'Carte Grise', the type of car is indicated "M1", which corresponds to "Fahrzeugklasse" on the COC.

It's also what the DVLA took for the temporary export registration as "Vehicle Category".

HTH
COC TYPE S350.JPG COC TYPE DVLA S350.JPG

OP
R

rodisi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI 1999 W210
This is why we needed the local DVLA offices. It's a shame they have been closed. Last car I imported from the US I had to fill in the equivalent form you have. A lot of the information requested I couldn't make head or tail of, but the guy in the local office went through the forms with me and it was all sorted in a couple of days with the new UK plates.
I'd be tempted to telephone DVLA and explain the problem, although you might have difficulty in getting through. They don't return registration documents, but they must be able to tell you what to do as far as deregistration in Germany is concerned.
I've found a telephone number but it's constantly busy.
I had the opposite problem -I had to register in France a Mercedes bought in UK.
On my French 'Carte Grise', the type of car is indicated "M1", which corresponds to "Fahrzeugklasse" on the COC.
it's also what the DVLA took for the temporary export registration as "Vehicle Category".
Vehicle category is covered in another question. I shall just have to keep trying the telephone. Apparently there are companies that will test the car and provide the necessary information but the car is so old the expense is not worth it.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hey Rodisi,

I did this a few years ago bringing my VW Golf into the UK from Ireland. It was an arduous process to say the least.

* I too was concerned about the note about rejecting the form if it was in error.

I really spent a lot of time and Google translate to do my very best to ensure accuracy. It was accepted. I'm not sure to what level the DVLA clerk will even inspect and perhaps they have that warning on their as a kind of mind trick to vastly reduce the chances of incorrect documentation. That said, I would spend the time to get it right. If there are parts that are missing try and do your best to find the relevant info online. Maybe try and contact the OEM in Germany.

In the end though, it is a leap of faith and just go with it. If they reject it they will send back everything.

* Note on return of documents - It's strange.

I remember when I sold my Golf a couple years later I still had the original Irish registration document. I think I recall sending the DVLA only copies, which they probably accepted. I think the note is there for that reason.. they are basically saying "send copies".

I'm not sure what phone number you are using but I never had any problem contacting them and the DVLA people were always helpful. In fact, while I don't have much experience with many UK agencies I really do think the DVLA are very professional and easy to deal with. They also seem to turn around applications/process form rather quick.

Best of luck with it all. It is a lengthy and somewhat stressful process but you will succeed and be glad you persevered after!

If you need any further help, do let me know and I'll try my best to answer.

Conor

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Has anyone got experience in bringing a car to the UK and registering it? I am going crazy trying to do that. I filled the NOVA form for HMRC. Now I'm trying to register it, which I'm doing through the V355-5 form
https://assets.publishing.service.g...-and-registration-of-a-used-motor-vehicle.pdf
‘Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle’. The information required is unbelievable. Ive managed to fill most of it using their guide and from my EC Certificate of Conformity but several boxes cannot be filled because the certificate doesn't have that information
e.g. Vehicle family identification number - not even the dealer knows what that is.
Then there is a list of Supporting Documents that are required, some of them adding "Where Appropriate". How do I know if it's appropriate?
The worse part is their statement that if the form and documentation are not complete, they will return the application. Even scarier is the statement "Note: we do not return original non-UK registration documents or certificates". I need those so I can return my plates to Germany and deregister the car.
Any help will be gratefully accepted.

There are car transport companies that will do everything for you.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom