Engine Management Light on after Service (Bradford Dealership)

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
Hi All,

my first post so hi all!

A little background, i live in Bradford and i booked in my car for a service on Friday (26/06). My car was overdue a service for 108 days and i finally got a booking for the 26th.

I get a call half way through the service from Mercedes saying that we have noticed a small leak from your water pump and we can change it for £387 (WTF). So i declined and asked if it was something i need to do urgently and the answer was no. The dude on the blower said it's usually a serious issue when you get a warning on the dashboard and and that point it's important to get it fixed.

So at the end of the day i collect my car after the service and there are no issues BUT later in the evening i start the car and the engine management light comes on FFS.

So the following Monday (today) i call up Mercedes and inform them of the issue and the lady on the phone basically says i don't think its related to the service and we can't see you before Thursday! so i have no car for 4 days and my kids are back at school too.

I have had the car for 3 years (bought from the Leeds dealership) and the lights never come ever. All of a sudden the lights come on after a service, can't be a coincidence can it?

What do i do?
If it is related to the water pump why has the light not come on before? why straight after the service?

Not sure how i approach this?

Thank you.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I would imagine that you should get a "low coolant" message rather than an EML if it was relating to the water pump issue.

Loads of possibilities regarding the EML so until the codes are scanned it is just a guessing game , possibly a sensor has been left unplugged during the service and once refitted and reset it will be fine.

As the car has a FMBSH then you should have Mobilo breakdown cover , give them a call and they should scan the car at home and point you in the correct direction they may even be able to "fast track" the car through the dealers if required.

Kenny

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A water pump will not cause an engine management light to come on unless the engine starts to overheat.
Check coolant level to see if it has leaked.
Unfortunately you'll need a code reader to determine why the light has come on.

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
I would imagine that you should get a "low coolant" message rather than an EML if it was relating to the water pump issue.

Loads of possibilities regarding the EML so until the codes are scanned it is just a guessing game , possibly a sensor has been left unplugged during the service and once refitted and reset it will be fine.

As the car has a FMBSH then you should have Mobilo breakdown cover , give them a call and they should scan the car at home and point you in the correct direction they may even be able to "fast track" the car through the dealers if required.

Kenny

thank you i will give them a ring.

I'm just worried they might use the pump as an excuse.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thank you i will give them a ring.

I'm just worried they might use the pump as an excuse.

Just tell them (Mobilo) you are unsure about driving the car with the EML light on , from a "damaging the car POV"

K

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
What is a reasonable cost for a coolant replacement on a C220?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is a reasonable cost for a coolant replacement on a C220?

I would verify the leaking coolant pump before looking at replacing the coolant as it will need refilled anyway if the pump needs swapped.

K

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
right, so an update.
Mobilio have come out and said its the nox sensor that is showing up as faulty and not related to the service.

The bloke who attended said the first step is to clear the error and reset the nox sensor.

He said if it was to appear again then i'd have to replace the Nox sensor and its usually around £400 (WTF).

I don't understand, i take my car for a service then bring it home. Start it an hour later and the EML is on which has never been on in the 3 years owning this car. Really annoyed to be honest.

He said i can raise with the Bradford dealership but i might not be able to do anything as it's not related.

How do i approach this? Am i screwed ?

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
Do i let the dealership check it without me telling them what the mobilio has said and see what the outcome is?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Unfortunately NOx sensors seem to be a regular failure on MBs. Some of the Independent garages bin here have had success getting MB to replace them FOC on some vehicles.
What year is the car and what mileage?

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
Unfortunately NOx sensors seem to be a regular failure on MBs. Some of the Independent garages bin here have had success getting MB to replace them FOC on some vehicles.
What year is the car and what mileage?

its on a 64 plate and mileage is around 85k

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
NOx sensors are as big a pandemic on these engines as Covid is right now. Nothing to do with service. You can't just replace the sensor (its not really a sensor, more a mini control module hence the price) you need to update the software and teach in the new sensor too.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Did the car have the Nox software update (recall) while in the garage it’s quite a coincidence that the EML has come on directly after the service

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
NOx sensors are as big a pandemic on these engines as Covid is right now. Nothing to do with service. You can't just replace the sensor (its not really a sensor, more a mini control module hence the price) you need to update the software and teach in the new sensor too.

The recovery dude who came out just reset the EML light on the dashboard and he said as a first step hes reset the sensor (no idea what he meant) and see what happens. If the EML appears again then it will need replacing.

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
Did the car have the Nox software update (recall) while in the garage it’s quite a coincidence that the EML has come on directly after the service

I don't think so but not entirely sure. Why would they do the nox software update when servicing?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I don't think so but not entirely sure. Why would they do the nox software update when servicing?

Software updates are routinely carried out with servicing at Mercedes dealerships. Some forum members have avoided the dealers for this very reason. Oh and cost of course.

OP
R

rafter_01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c220
Software updates are routinely carried out with servicing at Mercedes dealerships. Some forum members have avoided the dealers for this very reason. Oh and cost of course.

My service has always been from Mercedes and didn't really want to change even though it was pretty expensive. Its easier to sell the car in future when you have FMBSH.

Top Bottom