Avoid navigationupdate.co.uk for sat nav update

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
I’ve recently purchased a 2011 c220 estate and love it, my first Mercedes.
I wanted to update the sat nav to the most recent maps and purchased the discs from navigationupdate.co.uk - don’t make the same mistake.
The discs were copies and not genuine, foolishly I tried to instal them and it does not install past 32% and sat nav is stuck in instal disc mode. I tried contacting the company as they have a ‘chat to us’ option on their site to see if they had any suggestions - no reply to text, no reply to calls, no reply to email. Charlatans!
I’m going to dig around the forum to see if their are any posts to help me rectify this before I take it to a main dealer.
Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up so the same thing does not happen to anyone else.

garethbevan59

Reaction score
Perhaps a 30min battery disconnect may reset factory

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
OK thanks, I might give that a go!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Get in touch with Comandonline in Lightwater if the unit is bricked. They may have a solution and deal only in Mercedes OEM products.
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

The OP's experience above really is a warning not to use copy/counterfeit discs and if its unusually cheap, it probably isn't OEM.

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
Thanks for the recommendation!
And very true, if it’s cheap there is a reason for that, even if they appear with an ad at the top of a Google search and have a decent site.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just one quick question.... Were you installing with engine on or with a battery charger connected?

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
Just one quick question.... Were you installing with engine on or with a battery charger connected?

I was installing with engine on

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
Ok. You can get a similar issue on some cars if battery voltage too low.
Won't be that if engine running.

Good to know for the future, thanks!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
As AMGeed has suggested, hope you're close to J3M3 as comandonline.co.uk AKA unique car sounds are your best first port of call, hopefully they can rescue you as the only other option may be a replacement HDD for your comand system - ouch, but not as ouch as replacing the entire comand system! Have you VIN handy when you contact them so they can look up the build sheet for your car.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if you buy a nav disc for £30 when the retail is £250 then it wasn't going to be genuine was it.
if you don't know exactly how to install, on any system after 2009 then you shouldn't just put a disc in and hope

these days there are many attempts by the manufacturer to stop you using fakes and the cars electrical system has to be on for so long that a flat battery is to be expected.

thirdly so many systems need dealer installed firmware / software updates to support changes, security flaws and enable later mapping to load successfully, that a session with an expect with the dealer spec tools, a connection to germany and a hefty power supply are pre requisites

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
As AMGeed has suggested, hope you're close to J3M3 as comandonline.co.uk AKA unique car sounds are your best first port of call, hopefully they can rescue you as the only other option may be a replacement HDD for your comand system - ouch, but not as ouch as replacing the entire comand system! Have you VIN handy when you contact them so they can look up the build sheet for your car.

Thanks for the info about having my VIN when I contact them.

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
if you buy a nav disc for £30 when the retail is £250 then it wasn't going to be genuine was it.
if you don't know exactly how to install, on any system after 2009 then you shouldn't just put a disc in and hope

these days there are many attempts by the manufacturer to stop you using fakes and the cars electrical system has to be on for so long that a flat battery is to be expected.

thirdly so many systems need dealer installed firmware / software updates to support changes, security flaws and enable later mapping to load successfully, that a session with an expect with the dealer spec tools, a connection to germany and a hefty power supply are pre requisites

In my defence I honestly thought that these would be genuine as the company appeared at the top of the Google search, they had a good site and I would not have thought that a company would be so bold to sell counterfeit products. I purposely went to a 'store' too as reading on the forum here people said to avoid buying copies from eBay. It was a 2019 version that I purchased and just assumed because it was not the most up to date that this was the reason it was cheaper.

Naive indeed and I have been told Botus!

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
Thank you everyone for taking your time to reply to me. I was not expecting anything as I just posted to give people the heads-up about this company.

It is very much appreciated!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
It certainly looks like a decent organisation form their website. I would always looks at reviews on Trustpilot as well and they are not so good.
Reviews

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
It certainly looks like a decent organisation form their website. I would always looks at reviews on Trustpilot as well and they are not so good.
Reviews

Very good point re Trustpilot!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
How much hassle to fit an aftermarket satnav? I put a kenwod in my a lass 8 yr ago cost about 450 euro no hassle so far does radio, CD satnav reverse cam and other stuff I have yet to understand, to busy. IMG_20200705_135918.jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I would not have thought that a company would be so bold to sell counterfeit products. I purposely went to a 'store' too as reading on the forum here people said to avoid buying copies from eBay.

many sellers of these "fake discs" claim they have made you a back up disc... whether this is legal, I don't know. Certainly using the non legit software would be "wrong", but selling may be a different story.

There is only one source of legit stuff and that's Mercedes... The only retailer of legit stuff other than the dealership I'm aware of (but the prices are right up there with the main dealership....) is comandonline, where they are a bit more customer friendly and informed than Mercedes

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
How much hassle to fit an aftermarket satnav? I put a kenwod in my a lass 8 yr ago cost about 450 euro no hassle so far does radio, CD satnav reverse cam and other stuff I have yet to understand, to busy. View attachment 59967

Looks a good aftermarket fit, ideally would rather not have to do this!

OP
J

Jimster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate/2011/2.1
many sellers of these "fake discs" claim they have made you a back up disc... whether this is legal, I don't know. Certainly using the non legit software would be "wrong", but selling may be a different story.

There is only one source of legit stuff and that's Mercedes... The only retailer of legit stuff other than the dealership I'm aware of (but the prices are right up there with the main dealership....) is comandonline, where they are a bit more customer friendly and informed than Mercedes

Thanks for the tip!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom