Speed camera laser detectors and jammers.........

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have some important info to share:

When driving my work van I was awarded speeding points. In a van the limit in a 60mph car zone is actually 50mph for a van as they have uneven loads so brake/crash unpredictability.

So........ when I drove home from work the other day in my car I actually saw the camera van scum in front of me. I’d overtaken a tractor and then it was in my sight. I hit the cruise control at 60mph on the nose, the Cnut in the safety van was slowly accelerating away from me :eek:
For starters the ginger scrote should only be driving at 50 M A X I M U M.
I then followed through the 40 and 30mph zones with cruise control set again, and he was still increasing the gap between us!
I’ve contacted the ticket office already as I have the video file from my dash cam. They can use the same method of time travelled over distance and frame rate to determine the speed of the van just like they do for us.

I’m not on any social media at all other than this forum so can’t share with the world.

Suggestions please:
Upload the file to Hants Police. Unlikely to prosecute but an investigation may give the driver some grief.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I don’t own a separate sat nav. If I need to I use my iPhone in my other car on a dash mount.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Nice one. I’ve bookmarked that.
Hypocrisy if that’s ignored when I send it to them.
I don’t know why I thought you were in Hampshire but was probably getting you confused with another new GLC member.

Try this Nextbase site where you can upload video nationally for the police using any make of DashCam

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I’m not in Hampshire no, I reside in the greatest shire of this fine land of Eng.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
When I got my S203 I investigated the cost of retro-fitting a Mercedes Sat Nav and my wallet screamed in pain at the idea. I had used a Tom Tom for years so eventually I upgraded it to a 600 series and between that and cruise control (just like Lost Kiwi) I hope to stay clean. I very rarely use the speed limiter - except one particular stretch where the cameras grew like weeds a few years back.

I think the worst thing is not complacency as Tony said but it's relaxing - which I find very easy "in my Merc". I just hope + touch wood and whistle, to continue to avoid a momentary lapse which is how most of us get into trouble!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I only use TomTom AmiGO when on long journeys, as said already it is so easy to get caught by a speed camera in an unfamiliar location.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
That: it's relaxing
I totally agree.

It's far too easy to drift up the speedo in comfort and in what would seem 'total safety'. If you're on the road for a couple of hours a day it's easy to do in a torque laden motor with sound proofing and comfort.

Maybe thats why beemers are always in the outside lane:D

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I get the same on my bike but instead of the shouting(it's a Harley & very loud) I get punched in the kidneys.
An old mate of mine got the red mist one day and both wound the handle and laid over the tank to race another biker. Good job he caught his lasses legs as she got hit with the wind and almost rolled off backwards ankle-first :-D
His kidneys and man vegetables were sore after that for all the wrong reasons.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Jammers do work with camera vans, but there is a problem in the camera van always has a video camera running. The jammer will jam the speed reading but the car details are still on the video.
I dealt with one about 20 years ago, he got hammered in court.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Jammers do work with camera vans, but there is a problem in the camera van always has a video camera running. The jammer will jam the speed reading but the car details are still on the video.
I dealt with one about 20 years ago, he got hammered in court.
Yeah I've seen the cameras all around the van, some for the safety of the operator. Initially people were parking in front of these to obstruct their view, leaning in with their cameras and taking pictures of the operators, blocking them in with lorries/vans, but I've seen first-hand the plod are keen to turn up and move people along. The cash cow needs her milk it seems.

It's bonkers that jammers are legal to buy and fit but not use. How the yanks get away with this baffles me, maybe it's because they live in a democracy.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I still can’t quite work out how you’ll be caught if your using the cruise control and taking note of the speed limit changes, if others want to be tits around you let them, they will get frustrated quicker than you and do something stupid, just sit relax and drive your own drive.
Speed has its place and it’s not in the road, I like to know I have power available to get me out of trouble when needed or to get moving quickly but I stick to the speed limit, even if I get stuck behind someone doing 52 in a 60 it’s easier just to sit behind and wait for the next roundabout or them turning off to get past, the over speed you need to get past safely means you will have to break the law and no matter what you think it’s simply a choice you made and have to live with the consequences if your caught,

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I still can’t quite work out how you’ll be caught if your using the cruise control and taking note of the speed limit changes, if others want to be tits around you let them, they will get frustrated quicker than you and do something stupid, just sit relax and drive your own drive.
Speed has its place and it’s not in the road, I like to know I have power available to get me out of trouble when needed or to get moving quickly but I stick to the speed limit, even if I get stuck behind someone doing 52 in a 60 it’s easier just to sit behind and wait for the next roundabout or them turning off to get past, the over speed you need to get past safely means you will have to break the law and no matter what you think it’s simply a choice you made and have to live with the consequences if your caught,
It's pretty much how I drove the 911, they can go past as much as they like, it's me sat in the 911 I've already won :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
It's pretty much how I drove the 911, they can go past as much as they like, it's me sat in the 911 I've already won :)
But have you really won if you cannot enjoy that engine? There are a lot more comfortable drives than a 911 to do 30, 60 and 70mph in. As stated above to overtake (enjoy the accelleration) you will most likely break a speed limit/the law. The 911 doesn't even have much of a soundtrack, it is purely about outright performance.

This is why I decided to go the Convertible route, you can enjoy the Countryside and sunshine while getting from A to B. I do not pretend to be a model law abiding citizen (hence the 4.7l V8) but will only be naughty where it is very safe to do so with minimal risks all round (39 years with a clean licence).

I still believe Motorway speed limits can be safely increased taking modern car capabilities into consideration.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
But have you really won if you cannot enjoy that engine? There are a lot more comfortable drives than a 911 to do 30, 60 and 70mph in. As stated above to overtake (enjoy the accelleration) you will most likely break a speed limit/the law. The 911 doesn't even have much of a soundtrack, it is purely about outright performance.

This is why I decided to go the Convertible route, you can enjoy the Countryside and sunshine while getting from A to B. I do not pretend to be a model law abiding citizen (hence the 4.7l V8) but will only be naughty where it is very safe to do so with minimal risks all round (39 years with a clean licence).

I still believe Motorway speed limits can be safely increased taking modern car capabilities into consideration.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Trust me the sound of the flat 6 in the back of the 911 is an aural delight. It's also a lot more comfortable (with the £5K optional seats...) than many mainstream cars.

I'd also say I'd won, I've taken it around the Nürburgring as well as Croft and had it well north of 150 mph legally :cool:

I've also a convertible that sounds pretty nice as well :p (and one that doesn't...:rolleyes:)

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
You can legally break the speed limit to overtake or to make yourself safe. I was informed of this by a pursuit driver when training with the police as part of my advanced course.
On radar cruise control it’s dead easy to maintain speed on the motorway as it’s all done for you. Drivers still indicate and move into your braking gap at the last minute and without apology ( yes every journey every day in my commute). when you follow a Pratt that keeps speeding and slowing down and at 10-15mph beneath the limit, for example : driving at 46mph in a sixty zone , braking around every bend and swerving when cars approach from the other direction, to me they are inept and I don’t have the patience nor the time in my day nor the lust to want to sit behind such a moron.
If I felt I could handle driving everywhere at 50 and be governed by the speed of other drivers I’d have a 600cc robin reliant or an electric moped.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
You can legally break the speed limit to overtake or to make yourself safe. I was informed of this by a pursuit driver when training with the police as part of my advanced course.
On radar cruise control it’s dead easy to maintain speed on the motorway as it’s all done for you. Drivers still indicate and move into your braking gap at the last minute and without apology ( yes every journey every day in my commute). when you follow a Pratt that keeps speeding and slowing down and at 10-15mph beneath the limit, for example : driving at 46mph in a sixty zone , braking around every bend and swerving when cars approach from the other direction, to me they are inept and I don’t have the patience nor the time in my day nor the lust to want to sit behind such a moron.
If I felt I could handle driving everywhere at 50 and be governed by the speed of other drivers I’d have a 600cc robin reliant or an electric moped.
Or a Porche 911...

I think overtaking 2x cars at 100mph in a 60mph zone for "safety" would still get you a Court Appearance, especially if you were passing a speed camera regardless of what plod may have told you.

I was once invited to have a race with a police panda by a policeman through local streets when I was 18, said policeman was dating my Aunt at the time, I still didn't trust him!

He never did get promoted (I wonder why) and eventually left the force (thank god)..

Mercedes SL500 R231

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I had a friend prosecuted for doing 80 in a 60 to pass slower cars.
He had to pay the fine and take the points.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom