Car judders just before a stop

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
I was wondering if someone could give me advice.

On March 31st 2020 (just before lock down) i took my Mercedes GLC for a Service A at an official Mercedes garage for a service at 67k miles. Prior to this service my car was as smooth as butter.

Part of the service A mercedes carried out involved a brake fluid change, engine oil change, filter change and adblue top up as well as an emission software update.

After this service my GLC now judders for 1 or 2 seconds at low speeds just before you come to a stop. I have taken the vehicle back three times to mercedes - they carried out a gearbox and torque convertor adaptation test and changed the gearbox oil. This seem to still not solve the problem. Mercedes representatives carried out all checks and no error codes show up. They inform the vehicle is fine but the judder is so obvious.

The judder only occurs just before the vehicle comes to a stop. It always occurs regardless of whether the vehicle is hot or cold.

I then took the vehicle to an independent garage and had the transmission mounts changed today and that still hasnt solved the problem.

Can anyone advice? I feel really down by the situation and it has caused me a lot of stress.

Ruhul

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd keep pestering the dealer till they sort it if its that obvious.

OP
R

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
I'd keep pestering the dealer till they sort it if its that obvious.

I have taken it back three times it but had no luck. They have tried to resolve but cannot.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
I was wondering if someone could give me advice.

On March 31st 2020 (just before lock down) i took my Mercedes GLC for a Service A at an official Mercedes garage for a service at 67k miles. Prior to this service my car was as smooth as butter.

Part of the service A mercedes carried out involved a brake fluid change, engine oil change, filter change and adblue top up as well as an emission software update.

After this service my GLC now judders for 1 or 2 seconds at low speeds just before you come to a stop. I have taken the vehicle back three times to mercedes - they carried out a gearbox and torque convertor adaptation test and changed the gearbox oil. This seem to still not solve the problem. Mercedes representatives carried out all checks and no error codes show up. They inform the vehicle is fine but the judder is so obvious.

The judder only occurs just before the vehicle comes to a stop. It always occurs regardless of whether the vehicle is hot or cold.

I then took the vehicle to an independent garage and had the transmission mounts changed today and that still hasnt solved the problem.

Can anyone advice? I feel really down by the situation and it has caused me a lot of stress.

Ruhul

Hi Rahul,

Could you explain the judder? Does your seat shake? Steering wheel shake?

Did you have a loaner car for the day?

Jan

OP
R

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
Hello Janchee,

The whole vehicle briefly shakes for 1 or 2 seconds just as the auto gearbox downshifts from gear 3 to 2 i.e. just before you come to a complete stop.

Ruhul

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hello Janchee,

The whole vehicle briefly shakes for 1 or 2 seconds just as the auto gearbox downshifts from gear 3 to 2 i.e. just before you come to a complete stop.

Ruhul

Hi Rahul, does it do the same in manual mode ie flappy paddles? Is it a 4matic?

Does the car pull to one side when you brake?

OP
R

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
Hi Rahul, does it do the same in manual mode ie flappy paddles? Is it a 4matic?

Does the car pull to one side when you brake?

Hello Janchee,

Yes the judder is still there even in manual mode and yes the car is a 4matic. The car does not pull to one side when braking. I have got mercedes to change the transmission fluid, a gear adaptation and even changed the transmission mounts privately. All of which has not got the problem to go away!

The judder predominately occurs the moment the car downshifts from gear 3 to 2 followed by a stop. Also when driving in gear 2 the judder sensation you get is like when you ride the clutch on a manual car. Other than this the car drives fine at higher gears. Mercedes have carried out a diagnostic twice and even tried privately but no fault codes show up - which is extremely frustrating because there is definitely something wrong with the car. My car use to be as smooth as butter when downshifting and braking to a stop.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hello Janchee,

Yes the judder is still there even in manual mode and yes the car is a 4matic. The car does not pull to one side when braking. I have got mercedes to change the transmission fluid, a gear adaptation and even changed the transmission mounts privately. All of which has not got the problem to go away!

The judder predominately occurs the moment the car downshifts from gear 3 to 2 followed by a stop. Also when driving in gear 2 the judder sensation you get is like when you ride the clutch on a manual car. Other than this the car drives fine at higher gears. Mercedes have carried out a diagnostic twice and even tried privately but no fault codes show up - which is extremely frustrating because there is definitely something wrong with the car. My car use to be as smooth as butter when downshifting and braking to a stop.

Sorry to hear that Mercedes won't pursue the problem. It really is rubbish with the manufacturer/dealer setup when it comes to being a service customer!

I would try getting up to speed, knocking the car into neutral and then apply the brakes to come to a stop. See if the judder is still there. When you're in manual shifting from gear 2 to 3 ... any response there?

Does the judder come in gently and then get really bad and then gently decrease? Or is it like an on/off switch?

My original question of did you have a loaner car? Because believe it or not, they can be culprits for creating a different ride to your own car: which then makes you question! I know this may not be the case however, something to think about. It's not often you drive a brand-new car and nine times out of ten, it drives so nice.

OP
R

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
Hello Janchee,

The judder is very similar to the sensation of riding a clutch in a manual car. Yes its like an on/off switch - it lasts a few seconds and then stops when the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

Yes the car was loaned to a Mercedes representative who took drove the car in for a service.

OP
R

Ruhul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC 220d
Also to add - shifting up from 2 to 3 is fine. The judder occurs when downshifting from 3 to 2 followed by a stop.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Also to add - shifting up from 2 to 3 is fine. The judder occurs when downshifting from 3 to 2 followed by a stop.

Hi Ruhul, if you put the car in manual mode and just shift from 3rd to 2nd with no brakes - how does it feel then? Will Mercedes let you try another model to compare?

BigDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate (56 plate)
Hi All,

~ Was the above problem resolved?
~ Can anyone advise what it could be and possible costs (to weigh it up with car value)?

I'm having the same problem with my E320 CDI Auto, 2006, 182k

Many thanks.

sarah_h

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250D 4matic 2016
Also now having this issue with my 2016 GLC250D 4matic after service including brake fluid change, engine oil change, filter change and adblue top up - and an ECU update. Did anyone get a resolution? Tempted to ask them to roll back the ECU update.

Donnyhearn

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito/2022/119/OM654/9G-Tronic
Hi, I'm new to this forum and found the above threads on Google when trying to make sense of why my new Vito which has a transmission judder before comming to a completete stop. When I say judders it's actually more like a wobble for a couple of seconds before comming to a complete stop. The judder/wobble occurs when both using the brakes and just coasting to a stop I.e up hill and unbraked. It seems like it is something to do with downshifting and its like the transmission is not disconnecting quickly enough. An analogy would be not declutching quickly enough in a manual when comming to a stop. I would be very interested if anyone else is having this issue and whether anyone has found a solution to this issue.
My Vito has been doing this since hew and currently only has about 7000 miles on it

takegotet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 GLC
Hello Ruhul,

Did you manage to resolve the issue with your GLC. I am experiencing the same issue with mine.

takegotet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 GLC
Also now having this issue with my 2016 GLC250D 4matic after service including brake fluid change, engine oil change, filter change and adblue top up - and an ECU update. Did anyone get a resolution? Tempted to ask them to roll back the ECU update.
Hello Sarah,

Did you manage to get the issue sorted as I am having the same issue with my GLC.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hello Sarah,

Did you manage to get the issue sorted as I am having the same issue with my GLC.
Sarah was a one hit wonder I’m afraid . Last seen 2022

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Rahul has not been seen since his last post either - pity feedback is sooo… important

Top Bottom