Gear shifts out of park when the brake pedal not depressed.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I always depress the clutch pedal when starting a manual car - it takes the gearbox loading off the starter.

but also pushes the crankshaft forwards onto the thrust brg .... :rolleyes: and I'm not really sure how a gearbox can load a starter/engine

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
but also pushes the crankshaft forwards onto the thrust brg .... :rolleyes: and I'm not really sure how a gearbox can load a starter/engine

Operating the clutch means the first motion shaft is disconnected from the engine - the clutch driven plate doesn't spin ( saves a bit of load) and no gears are turning in the gearbox in the hydraulic oil so no drag /load on the starter from that either.

Try it in winter with a bad battery, it can be the difference between starting and not starting....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I always depress the clutch pedal when starting a manual car - it takes the gearbox loading off the starter.
Ditto but more to prevent me inadvertently starting it in gear if I haven't put it in neutral properly.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom