W209 2008 CLK320 CDI - Dead Battery - Window Reset

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
My car has been stood for some months and yes I know I should have been out giving it a quick run, there are some mitigating reasons why not ;)

The battery is dead other than enough juice to unlock the car. First challenge was to get the battery out, I can only spy one small bolt at the front and just about feel but not see one at the back. If the battery does need replacing does anyone know how it's secured?

In the meantime the car is in a safe enough spot that I can feed power from the garage and I have CTEK charger hooked up running away in recondition mode. From recollection on other cars I've had, if it can resurrect the battery, then that could take 24 to 48 hours to get it near fully charged.

What I found when I grabbed something from the car is that the front and rear window dropped but didn't return. I then tried opening and close the door again and both dropped a little more. It might be because there's virtually no juice in the battery.

Is there anything I'll need to reset when the battery is back up and running?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
many cars need the anti trap window reset after disconnecting the battery..... often u wind it down, then raise fully and keep the switch depressed after it reaches the top, after about a second you hear a clunk (I guess where it registers the force increases and cuts out), once u get the clunk, the one touch up and down should be back in action. Each windows needs doing.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My car has been stood for some months and yes I know I should have been out giving it a quick run, there are some mitigating reasons why not ;)

The battery is dead other than enough juice to unlock the car. First challenge was to get the battery out, I can only spy one small bolt at the front and just about feel but not see one at the back. If the battery does need replacing does anyone know how it's secured?

In the meantime the car is in a safe enough spot that I can feed power from the garage and I have CTEK charger hooked up running away in recondition mode. From recollection on other cars I've had, if it can resurrect the battery, then that could take 24 to 48 hours to get it near fully charged.

What I found when I grabbed something from the car is that the front and rear window dropped but didn't return. I then tried opening and close the door again and both dropped a little more. It might be because there's virtually no juice in the battery.

Is there anything I'll need to reset when the battery is back up and running?
Windows , press and hold the button at the top and bottom for a few seconds . Radio channels as well are lost .
You may also have to turn the steering lock to lock ??

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
Thanks both. Charging looking promising so far, onto step 3 on the recon program so it least it's accepting charge, whether it holds it is another matter.

On a different subject I remembered the master windows switch has one faulty button. If you lift the button to shut the driver's window it pulls all the way up and doesn't do anything. However if you wiggle it around it does get enough purchase to bring the window up. I'm guessing the button/switch isn't serviceable? I've seen a fair few complete units for around £20 on eBay ranging from "new" to pre-owned salvage parts. Any suggestions?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks both. Charging looking promising so far, onto step 3 on the recon program so it least it's accepting charge, whether it holds it is another matter.

On a different subject I remembered the master windows switch has one faulty button. If you lift the button to shut the driver's window it pulls all the way up and doesn't do anything. However if you wiggle it around it does get enough purchase to bring the window up. I'm guessing the button/switch isn't serviceable? I've seen a fair few complete units for around £20 on eBay ranging from "new" to pre-owned salvage parts. Any suggestions?
Get the battery fixed first ;)

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
Get the battery fixed first ;)

:) I wish I'd whipped the switch out before I taped up the gaps in the windows when the rain started. As you say one for when the battery is sorted ;)

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Do not press/pull window button to full bottom, use 'mid position' and window may move better. It's true sometimes it wont accept more than 1cm per attempt but when you finally reach end point, hold button fully pressed as said above. After that auto up/down should work too.

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
Good news on the battery, went through all the steps on the CTEK program. Car running fine.

Window reset worked ok first time around. Been out in the car and all was fine. Now back tidying up and the driver side window isn't dropping and when I shut the door there is no automatic movement and there's a gap. Tried the reset process a few times and making no difference. Passenger side is fine.

Job no.2 and unrelated:

I've just been out struggling with the door card so I can have a look at the master switch as one of the buttons is broken on one part of its hinge. Hoping I can just change the button but that's another task if I can get the door card off. This is as good a guide as any I can find

"Popping" trim off with a screwdriver wasn't in my plan, I have some strong plastic pry bars but will that arm section pop-off, maybe I do need a screwdriver...

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
Thanks, gave that a try but no luck. Window stopped before the top and would go no further. Resolved now though

When I'd been looking to remove the door card I had taken the small piece of plastic trim off around the door lock. I can't see why but as soon as I put it back on everything was fine with the window.

I'll remember that when I start tackling the door card again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GJP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400d 4MATIC Premium Plus
Have seen reports of issues after using the Recond setting of a CTEK caused by higher voltage used (15.8V which is known to kill AGM batts) on the electronics if applied to an in-situ battery.

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
The CTEK manual says it will increase the battery to 14.4V however, I did make sure the battery was disconnected whilst it was charging. The car is starting perfectly, now just need to sort out all the other niggles.

I have an cigarette lighter adapter with the CTEK charger. I've never tried it although it should work with my 5A charger and most cars.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The CTEK manual says it will increase the battery to 14.4V however, I did make sure the battery was disconnected whilst it was charging. The car is starting perfectly, now just need to sort out all the other niggles.

I have an cigarette lighter adapter with the CTEK charger. I've never tried it although it should work with my 5A charger and most cars.

Ciggy lighter sockets are normally ignition live so your charger won't charge via the lighter socket without modification. ;)

OP
I

iainjo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2007/2.2
Ciggy lighter sockets are normally ignition live so your charger won't charge via the lighter socket without modification. ;)

Good to know, tried it on one of my previous cars and it didn't work so the cable adapter has sat idle in the CTEK bag ever since.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
W211 has a fuse slot option which allows socket live all the time. Not sure if W209 has it.

Top Bottom