Active Lane Assist

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
This is a question I never anticipated, and demonstrates an irrationally simplistic attitude to the problem.
Just to be clear this is one specific feature.

You yourself originally very much doubted that this feature would autonomously turn itself on again.
The majority of cars fitted with this feature allow the driver to permanently disable it.
The handbook makes no mention of this feature being a default setting for every ignition cycle.

I suppose that I don't understand why you would buy a car with something that you do not like and then complain about it! Why did you not properly research the car's features and do test drives before shelling out your "hard earned"........:rolleyes:?

Seems like 'making a mountain out of a mole hill' as far as the "one specific feature" is concerned.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
@rorywquin I have decided not to respond to you anymore.
I have countered everything you have said but it is clearly a wasted effort on my behalf.
Thank you for your concern though. :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So .... lane assist. Does it only work above certain speeds or does it monitor you crossing each & every white line on the road? Just thinking about this thread on my way home from work tonight & there are loads of occasions when you might wander over a line when you're not actually moving to another lane eg when you move over the centre line to pass a parked vehicle or generally straightening out A/B roads.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So .... lane assist. Does it only work above certain speeds.
It is only active above a certain speed although I'm not sure what this speed is. Also I'm not sure if the type of road plays a part too.
My drive to work includes a dual carriageway section and changing lanes results in only a mild vibration of the steering wheel....but where it really went crazy was moving over into a filter lane approaching a roundabout. I was probably doing around 50 mph but with foot off the gas slowing down, and it felt like I had lost control of the car....I got quite a fright!!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It is only active above a certain speed although I'm not sure what this speed is. Also I'm not sure if the type of road plays a part too.
My drive to work includes a dual carriageway section and changing lanes results in only a mild vibration of the steering wheel....but where it really went crazy was moving over into a filter lane approaching a roundabout. I was probably doing around 50 mph but with foot off the gas slowing down, and it felt like I had lost control of the car....I got quite a fright!!

ta :)

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to add an interesting point......
I had driven this same road the whole of the previous week when working day shift and my car did not react, but only difference when it did was during the hours of darkness.

Silly me.....I should have had a test drive in the dark before placing my order, then I would know how it was going to react. :D
That would have been difficult though because when I placed my order there were no CLA 250 models in stock at any Scottish dealer.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
So .... lane assist. Does it only work above certain speeds or does it monitor you crossing each & every white line on the road? Just thinking about this thread on my way home from work tonight & there are loads of occasions when you might wander over a line when you're not actually moving to another lane eg when you move over the centre line to pass a parked vehicle or generally straightening out A/B roads.
From my owners manual

Screenshot 2020-07-17 at 10.22.10.png

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The lane assist braked to pull you back in lane?
Wow I'm glad that on mine it only vibrates the steering wheel.
The collision avoidance as part of the blind spot assistance is good though. Saved me once from being hit by a driver who decided to try and race past everyone to get to a motorway roundabout exit first. "He" cut in front of me, even though he hadn't past me, before he hit the barriers. He only achieved it because, my car automatically braked and pulled my car to the left away from his.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it applies the brakes to only one side of the car and is a seriously unsettling experience if you are not expecting it. Of course if you happened to have fallen asleep at the wheel then it would absolutely wake you up again! :D

I was experimenting with the system on my usual route home from work this afternoon and have discovered that it activates at 40mph and deactivates at 35mph, and will operate on any road with white lines.
Approaching the point where it gave me quite a fright on Monday evening, I was travelling at 48mph and confirmed that the system was active.....but absolutely nothing happened. o_O
So far the system has activated twice at the exact same point on the road that I drive every day, but these 2 times have been during the night while the others were in daylight.
I am struggling to understand why the system should be selective like this, but in the absence of any other explanation this is all I have to go on.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The collision avoidance as part of the blind spot assistance is good though. Saved me once from being hit by a driver who decided to try and race past everyone to get to a motorway roundabout exit first. "He" cut in front of me, even though he hadn't past me, before he hit the barriers. He only achieved it because, my car automatically braked and pulled my car to the left away from his.

It does not "slam on brakes" as some might think. If you are unaware as to how the system works it might come as a bit of a surprise if it is activated. I've had it activate a couple of times in the 3 years I've had my car and it is not a big deal!

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found something else that has a default on setting - Parktronic.
I thought to myself I am never ever going to use this not even out of curiosity, so as there is a setting to turn it off I decided to do so.....but was very surprised to find it on again next time I started the engine. o_O

Just for clarification and before anybody attempts to berate me for "making a mountain out of a molehill" :D I am not complaining about this....just find it illogical that a feature like this has a default on setting.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mercedes tend to turn safety systems back on at the next start. Theory being it may not be the same driver and they may not know it's disabled.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mercedes tend to turn safety systems back on at the next start. Theory being it may not be the same driver and they may not know it's disabled.
The attention assist - coffee cup warning bugged me. Came on just with time. I had to remember to turn it off every decent drive. I'm not sponsoring motorway services :rolleyes:

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
The Insignia has lane assist, to be fair I didn't realise how irritating it is until I'd driven the car for a couple of months, not a big fan of the electric handbrake either, and as for stop start technology....

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That maybe so....but I wouldn't call Parktronic a safety system. ;)

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Hey I could live with that :) Would be a very minor annoyance just like the seatbelt pop up warning I have to cancel when starting the engine.
The fact that Mercedes have now chosen to make Active Lane Assist a default setting is a bit more than a minor annoyance though. :(
I am reasonably confident it can be disabled via the OBD port and appropriate software.
Where would that leave you in the event of an accident?

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where would that leave you in the event of an accident?
At best probably facing the prospect of losing my unblemished insurance record. :(

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and as for stop start technology....
Actually on a manual car I quite like it because I can easily control when it activates so that it suits me, but on an automatic car it is truly the work of Satan and I hate it with a passion. :mad:
With my previous car I got into the habit of pressing one button as soon as I started the engine, and the habit has simply carried over to this car.

Cricket1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 200 CGI
My problem with Blind Spot & Lane Assist is that it is activated on start up,then after a few miles it displays the “inoperative message” You stop the car,switch off,wait 5 minutes,switch back on and it is active again.
Reading between the lines these 2 systems are temperamental. Think I will run a diagnostic to see if it can spot the problem. Very low mileage but out of manufacturers warranty period. Any thoughts people?

Cricket1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 200 CGI
Having problems with Blind Spot and Active Lane Assist. Rear sensor initially the problem,removed,checked,cleaned,wrapped refitted. Still playing up. Latest diagnostics now indicates front sensor?? So any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2197699E-CC45-4A1E-A599-918E3BCC6E63.jpeg
    2197699E-CC45-4A1E-A599-918E3BCC6E63.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 6

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom