NOX sensor

Big Gordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previous c200k coupe, c350 petrol coupe, clc220d, e350cdi coupe present E220d coupe 2015
My E coupe 220 d had an orange engine management light on. I put car in for diagnostic check and my technician says it’s the NOX sensor. Cost roughly £400 but as this was a month ago can’t get parts cos of Covid.
He turned light off said see how it goes and if need be he would source one of the 2 sensors. Meanwhile light came back on after 3 weeks.
I happened to stumble across a video on YouTube showing a guy soaking sensor in carbon cleaner. So I put an overdose of Redex into fuel tank. My engine management light has gone back off. It’s been out for 3 days now.
I’ve hardly used my car as I’ve been furloughed. Could this fault be because the car isn’t getting a decent run.

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
If your really lucky it may stay off, BUT it will probably return as there is a fault with the original sensors , the new sensors have to be changed as a pair and be the later versions, look out for the q code as it should be q5 , will also need an update, mine would stay off for a couple of weeks at a time but it was always a stored fault.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
If your really lucky it may stay off, BUT it will probably return as there is a fault with the original sensors , the new sensors have to be changed as a pair and be the later versions, look out for the q code as it should be q5 , will also need an update, mine would stay off for a couple of weeks at a time but it was always a stored fault.

Any clue as to what year car mercedes sorted out the nox sensor issues ?

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi i,m not sure, the independent that fitted mine to me not to replace like for like as they would fail again, i would of said 2016 onwards but i,m not 100%. mine is a 2014 model.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
hi i,m not sure, the independent that fitted mine to me not to replace like for like as they would fail again, i would of said 2016 onwards but i,m not 100%. mine is a 2014 model.

Mines a 2017 so hoping I won't get issues.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Benz nox sensors are 1 rubbish and 2 a major earner for Benz. They just cannot make em properly. I would like to see Benz forced to extend the warranty on these and other sensors.
Maybe they can explain how my 01 clk320 still has all its original sensors and 2013 on cars have repeated failures. I sure I know why..

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agree completly ,wifes 16 year old z4 has its original sensors and is still on its original silencer.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Oxygen sensors are different from Nitrous oxide sensors. Your older cars didn’t have Nox sensors.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Understood. My point, they are very unreliable, very expensive, and Benz have organized such that a paid visit to them is required. None of which has been the case with my 02 clk or my 02 A Class
And that's no accident, in my view.....

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Sorry, but that’s the way modern cars are, too much tech, built buy accountants and not engineers. It’s a throw away society we live in. It’s like saying my steering lock never went wrong on my old 202 c class, because it was mechanical unlike the later Locks which we replace on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, but that’s the way modern cars are, too much tech, built buy accountants and not engineers. It’s a throw away society we live in. It’s like saying my steering lock never went wrong on my old 202 c class, because it was mechanical unlike the later Locks which we replace on a weekly basis.

I have recently learnt to stay away from Modern cars for exactly that reason! 68 ngtf 01 clk 02 aclass. I bought last yr a 2013 ml250 50 k miles but tho it's a nice drive I know now it's full of dtf and I will shift it on when chance appears. Frankly I prob should not have bought it. If I can't shift it without major hit I will disable any tech that I can get away with if it gives me financial dramas. Adblue, nox, DPF erg , ect. If this stuff was relatively economic, I would maintain it. But as I see it most of this stuff is seem by makers as a license to print cash at our great expense, I have been and will continue to collect all info I can on maintain, disable, delete and hope that I don't get the dramas often highlighted on here.

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cars are more advanced than they were 20yrs ago thats for sure but it seems we pickup the cost twice, firstly by buying a car thats full of tech for a big price then pay again when these so called advancements go wrong . tech is only any good if its as reliable as the old tech it replaced.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
design to fail....

its just to get everyone on a lease scheme. this way their revenue stream will be constant and the accountants can optimise further to get costs down.... not enough interested in taking up the idea just make them die faster,

they are prepared to kill every living thing on the planet to increase their share price / profitability

we should jail for life the CEO, the whole of the engineering team, all the suppliers involved in making trash and all of the accountancy team for environmental vandalism

most things (outside food) should be designed to last for a minimum of 20 years. with most components on a car aside from the style of wheels, the bodywork, interior trim and entertainment graphics interchangeable between three sizes

small commuter
family
luxury

front to back that's 6 types of brake disc ever....

yet it would not surprise me to find more than 10,000 different disc sizes being manufactured around the world today. Multiply that by 10 reputable OEM and aftermarket businesses, another 10 crooks and we could have shelves with stocks around the world with 175,000 individual brakes discs.... and we wonder why Siberia just went up 10C and the world died 6 months ago !!!!

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom