Modern cars & lucky escape on A19 this morning (daughter-in-law)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Sadly too many drivers not aware of road rules.

It's also hazard perception/defensive driving that too many drivers are not aware of though. Here flashing lights means "get out of my way/beaware of my presence". That said, if I was flashing my lights because I thought someone was going to pull out on me and doubted they were aware of my presence I would already be braking anyway just in case.

But then I drive an old "unsafe" car. I am fully aware that despite the W124 crash testign being adopted by NCAP, and it's 2* performance was amazing for 1987, it would no doubt come off worse against pretty much any new car and do not delude myself that it is better in a crash than even a new, small, cheap car. I am aware of that and the car makes you more aware of speed etc. I'm not sure I'm safer if I drive a new hire car because I feel so isolated I don't conecentrate as much and don't practice so much "defensive driving". That said, I think even in a W124 you can crash into stationary vehciles at 60mph or a tree at 35mph and generally expect to survive with little or no injuries...there's certainly many stories of people doing such...I think it's more a head-on crash where I would be in trouble, or a T-boning, but even modern cars haven't fully developed systems to protect from T-boning at high speed, and it does not make up a high proportion of accidents.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Rule of thumb is, the bigger the car and the newer the car, generally the safer one is in the event of crash.
The big step change occurred in the mid ‘90s when Volvo introduced the “crumple zone” or permanent deformation energy absorption system. Then, some genius worked out how to make an effective side impact protection system with multiple door guard bars linked into the front and rear crash structure. Then, airbags were added into the mix to produce a genuine safety cage system (key point- system, not individual components acting on their own).

So, cars from before 1995 ish have a big, big drop in occupant safety vs those from later.

Pedestrian safety features didn’t take off until much later, around the late noughties.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
A good news story, keep an eye on them sometimes things can crop up later.

All accidents are different and cars will behave differently depending on the circumstances of the crash.

I have walked away from a horrendous crash, yet profoundly affected by a simple shunt.

Sometimes it's just down to luck.

It is strange how things happen. Brings to mind the famous ad for MB when we were still in SA. The driver survived an accident where the car went down a steep mountainside. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. I had friends who rolled a Japanese car at high speed in the 70s and all three only had a couple of bruises...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A bit of luck goes a long way but isn't it Volvo who used to say no one will be killed in our cars by I think 2020 ?

Maybe someone remembers it better than me.

I used to imagine a 40 tonner full of sand going into your Volvo at 60MPH and thought it was an idle boast.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Thanks folks.

My wife nearly T boned a car about 12 months ago. They were doing a U turn and (coming from Africa) she flashed them to say 'danger get out of my way'. They thought it was a flash to say 'go ahead'. I still wonder how we missed them. Fortunately no oncoming traffic. We had British expats in serious accidents in the ME. The Arabs flash their lights to say 'get out of my way' and the brits thing it means 'after you sir'.

I've learned to learn the 'road culture'.

I worked a lot in the ME & we used to say that the only thing a light on a car(indicator or otherwise) means is that the bulb is functional.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I worked a lot in the ME & we used to say that the only thing a light on a car(indicator or otherwise) means is that the bulb is functional.

Yep we soon learned that the arabs always have the right of way regardless of any signals, traffic lights or road signs.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
One of the first things my driving instructor said to me (back in 1968!!) was "look at every car you can see and think - what's the most stupid thing each one could do next - and be prepared, 'cos you can bet that one day one will!!" Sound advice that I've tried to follow, has served me very well. It does mean you can be quite antisocial to your passenger/s as it requires concentration on driving rather than the yapping from especially the passenger seat!

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My son must have good and or expensive insurance - courtesy car is a Range Rover Sport. He better hope that wifey doesn't get too used to it.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Is that a step up or down from a Q7??:D:D

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Is that a step up or down from a Q7??:D:D

I wouldn't know! Been in the Q7 a few times and it is a nice motor. Last time I was in a RR was in the 70s in central Africa using one for the purpose it was designed for. Off-road and in thick mud.

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
when i joined the fire service in 92 , being involved in removing folk from all sorts of vehicle related incidents , i got to see how the car has evolved into a much much safer place to be , they are pretty much a safety cage on wheels these days , yes they appear to explode into many pieces but the structure itself can take a hell of a hit and folk will get away with only minor injuries

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
when i joined the fire service in 92 , being involved in removing folk from all sorts of vehicle related incidents , i got to see how the car has evolved into a much much safer place to be , they are pretty much a safety cage on wheels these days , yes they appear to explode into many pieces but the structure itself can take a hell of a hit and folk will get away with only minor injuries

Yep, so we have many cars written off but people with less injuries and less deaths. Must be a good thing. I was a policeman in the 80s and arriving at an accident with shredded bodies was not pleasant!

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
It seems recently that indicators simply aren't used when people either change lanes or overtake each other. It absolutely boils me when this happens as it's more often than not accompanied by no use of wing-mirrors nor a glance at ther blind-spot. These insects need removing from the roads. Glad to see your family walked away.

I've been riding bikes since I was fourteen, same as most my mates. When a lad I know joined the fire service he stopped riding bikes after attending a few biker fatalities where they would decide on the day who was going to look for the helmet.
Thumbs up bembo for being a fire-fighter, I applied and walked the fitness tests etc (trained hard) and ended up lucky enough to have an interview for a position. I wasn't successful, politics were being employed at that time which was a shame and I obviously didn't meet the grade.
You have a rewarding career for sure.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Too many cars too many of the me, me, me ,me generation,. People just do not care - look at how the youth are spreading Covid. "I will probably not die - so what if my older family get it".........

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
driving standards have dropped significantly in this country over the last 10 years or so imo , some of the moves some people pull just begs belief ! makes me wonder what they are like as people if they drive with such care free abandon ??
I did 20 years and then retired pal , ( politics being the main reason ) searched for a good few helmets myself too unfortunately and ive never owned a bike for that very reason

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I've taught at sixth-form college and in adult education where my groups are mainly in their early twenties, and Y E S the newer generations are so self-entitled. The lack of manners really disgusts me. I won't rant about that, but I do find it's snotty young birds and blokes who sit in the outside lane and won't move, don't indicate when pulling into my way, don't thank me when I let them out of a junction or slow down for them, and are the guilty party who overtake other cars in 30mph zones ffs. One trampy scrote missed me (barely) head-on this week by overtaking a line of cars in a v i l l a g e (30mph) and through a blind-bend, and he couldn't give two shits. Good job I have firm brakes, my tolerance however isn't.

I've changed my mind, I'm having a little rant:
Self-entitled, self-important, self-obsessed look-at-me generations since the launch of social media.
Nasty little fukkers who can't see beyond their own noses and imaginary identites they create for themselves on facebook.
No I'm not miserable old and bitter pensioner (not yet anyway), but even growing up without carpets and in social housing for the most part I was taught good manners, to be non-judgemental (above everything else) and to show respect for my elders.
Kids these days dick about with their phones whilst having a conversation with you, and expect everything to be given to them because they deserve it. Also they're work-shy and moan abouth everything:geek:

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I've taught at sixth-form college and in adult education where my groups are mainly in their early twenties, and Y E S the newer generations are so self-entitled. The lack of manners really disgusts me. I won't rant about that, but I do find it's snotty young birds and blokes who sit in the outside lane and won't move, don't indicate when pulling into my way, don't thank me when I let them out of a junction or slow down for them, and are the guilty party who overtake other cars in 30mph zones ffs. One trampy scrote missed me (barely) head-on this week by overtaking a line of cars in a v i l l a g e (30mph) and through a blind-bend, and he couldn't give two shits. Good job I have firm brakes, my tolerance however isn't.

Self-entitled, self-important, self-obsessed look-at-me generations since the launch of social media.
Nasty little fukkers who can't see beyond their own noses and imaginary identites they create for themselves on facebook.
No I'm not miserable old and bitter pensioner (not yet anyway), but even growing up without carpets and in social housing for the most part I was taught good manners, to be non-judgemental (above everything else) and to show respect for my elders.
Kids these days dick about with their phones whilst having a conversation with you, and expect everything to be given to them because they deserve it. Also they're work-shy and moan abouth everything:geek:

My thoughts precisely :rolleyes:o_O

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)

Almost had a head in the other week where some young lad in his MX5 was in the middle of the road approaching a blind summit, I came over said summit and swerved to miss him, he did swerve the other way but lost it and crashed into someone’s garden, luckily the garden had some huge granite blocks (about the size of a traffic cone) just in the edge of the hedge, if they hadn’t have been there the car would have gone through and into the owners children’s slide and swing set, I did stop and reverse to make sure everyone was alright and waited while he called his dad. Dad turned up and asking if everyone was alright have his son a right bollocking.
Now I’m probably old for my age (only 37) but your right, there is so little respect for others these days, even those of my generation are shocking, myself and my wife have very few friends for exactly that reason, we can’t stand faceache and twatter, and can’t abide constantly sitting in coffee shops or having everything on credit because they have to have it NOW, we’ve worked hard and luckily I’m in a position now where my wife doesn’t have to work and can look after our 15 month old until she start pre school, but some many people we met with children the same age can’t wait to get back to work and shuffle their snowflakes off to nursery where they can teach them everything.
Sorry totally off topic there but I feel better now having a rant :oops:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom