First Mercedes ML 270 CDI

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Hi Everyone

I bought my 2001 ML 270 just over a week ago.

I needed a replacement for my 300 tdi Discovery which although has been extremely reliable over the years, I have had to weld it every year for the MOT, which is a pain. I'm worried it will reach the stage where I have to scrap it .

The ML 270 ticks all the boxes. Low range gear box, good towing capacity and full time four wheel drive. It also offers a significant jump in power over the Discovery and way better brakes.

After looking at a couple of dogs I picked up this car for £950. It had no MOT and hadn't been driven much for the last 5 years. Relatively low mileage at 123K.

It spilled all its power steering fluid at the start of the test drive and as it was in decent condition I bought it anyway at a reduced price and brought it home on the back of a recovery truck. Not the best start for a new car LOL.

The power steering was an easy fix and I have now got an MOT, after tidying up a brake line and welding up a patch on the rear cross member. Pretty ironic having to get the welder out on the new car I bought to get away from welding.

I've a few other niggles to sort out.

A diesel leak from a (overflow?) hose at the back of the engine near side.

No power and not revving past 2K. I suspect the MAF is shot as I unplugged it and it picked up better but will still not rev out.

Pulsing from the steering when turning corners. Suspected steering rack fault and will look in to a reconditioned one.

I'll post some threads on the issues in the relevant sections as needed.

Here it is with the rear bumper off for welding. Stupidly easy to remove.
20200729_164156.jpg

Cheers, Andy

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Fuel system is a closed system.
I would check for a leaky return pipe from the injector at the rear, but it's a guess.

A known issue, and cheap fix, is the fuel line 'o' rings that are pressed flat over time and allow air ingress. That inhibits starting, especially on cold mornings. It's worth replacing those for the sake of it, about £7 for the 7.

When you replace the fuel filter it will be a bitch to pull the fuel through from the tank as I'm pretty sure there is no tank lift pump on those.

Good luck.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Thanks for the welcomes and the tips.

Cheers

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi Andy, nice little project :coffee: it's probably worth investing in a ICarsoftMB11 it will take the guesswork out of diagnosis and pay for itself very quickly, for example you would be able to get a live data reading from the MAF to confirm that it's toast, or not...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Pulsing from the steering is more likely to be tie rods or a lose ball joint.

The rev limit is because its in limp mode, could be anything, but as above use something like the carsoft to read them and give you a better idea of where to go.

Seems like a few minor issues!

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Pulsing from the steering is more likely to be tie rods or a lose ball joint.

The rev limit is because its in limp mode, could be anything, but as above use something like the carsoft to read them and give you a better idea of where to go.

Seems like a few minor issues!

Thanks. When nothing was flagged for the steering on the MOT it was pushing me towards the rack being faulty. To be more clear, when cornering the steering feels vague and I get left and right movement from the steering wheel. I'll check the ball joints and tie rods.

The Carsoft scanner sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks also to Taffy7hfa for that suggestion.

Cheers.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Hi Andy, nice little project :coffee: it's probably worth investing in a ICarsoftMB11 it will take the guesswork out of diagnosis and pay for itself very quickly, for example you would be able to get a live data reading from the MAF to confirm that it's toast, or not...

Torque on a smart device, with a £4 BT sender can monitor the MAF.

There is some chance I will be selling the iCarsoft V2 before too long. They do have some purpose.

Kiwi_Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003 Diesel
Hi Andy, welcome and I will be watching!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hi Everyone

I bought my 2001 ML 270 just over a week ago.

I needed a replacement for my 300 tdi Discovery which although has been extremely reliable over the years, I have had to weld it every year for the MOT, which is a pain. I'm worried it will reach the stage where I have to scrap it .

The ML 270 ticks all the boxes. Low range gear box, good towing capacity and full time four wheel drive. It also offers a significant jump in power over the Discovery and way better brakes.

After looking at a couple of dogs I picked up this car for £950. It had no MOT and hadn't been driven much for the last 5 years. Relatively low mileage at 123K.

It spilled all its power steering fluid at the start of the test drive and as it was in decent condition I bought it anyway at a reduced price and brought it home on the back of a recovery truck. Not the best start for a new car LOL.

The power steering was an easy fix and I have now got an MOT, after tidying up a brake line and welding up a patch on the rear cross member. Pretty ironic having to get the welder out on the new car I bought to get away from welding.

I've a few other niggles to sort out.

A diesel leak from a (overflow?) hose at the back of the engine near side.

No power and not revving past 2K. I suspect the MAF is shot as I unplugged it and it picked up better but will still not rev out.

Pulsing from the steering when turning corners. Suspected steering rack fault and will look in to a reconditioned one.

I'll post some threads on the issues in the relevant sections as needed.

Here it is with the rear bumper off for welding. Stupidly easy to remove.
View attachment 60951

Cheers, Andy

Well, despite your "todo" list, it looks like a nice car (a lot of MLs seem to hold their looks). Well done and good luck - I think when you've finished you'll have a very nice set of wheels :).

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Well, despite your "todo" list, it looks like a nice car (a lot of MLs seem to hold their looks). Well done and good luck - I think when you've finished you'll have a very nice set of wheels :).
Thanks very much. Cheers

Top Bottom