I don't care how souped up it is.. £150k for a 8 year old E Class!?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I didn't know that and no reason to doubt the valid point. Thing is though - I don't think EVs got much of a look in until recent batter developments made them feasible.
Nothing is new...

DE4988EA-898E-4C50-81D5-DA46F970D6AB.jpeg

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
No problems with electric cars here...
At least it's not a diesel!

Hey! What's wrong with diesel Alistair? :shock:

These days I'd walk past a petrol to get to a diesel, mainly due to the economy I might add, however, I do like the torque of the diesel too. :p

My E350 CDi Coupé is one of the nicest, quietest, comfortable, excellent perfoming diesels I've ever driven, and no doubt, there will probably be better models in the range too. ;)

There's only one petrol car I'd like to buy and not the most expensive by a long chalk, I've hankered after a Porsche Cayman since the car was introduced, it just ticks all the boxes for me. :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hey! What's wrong with diesel Alistair? :shock:

These days I'd walk past a petrol to get to a diesel, mainly due to the economy I might add, however, I do like the torque of the diesel too. :p

My E350 CDi Coupé is one of the nicest, quietest, comfortable, excellent perfoming diesels I've ever driven, and no doubt, there will probably be better models in the range too. ;)

There's only one petrol car I'd like to buy and not the most expensive by a long chalk, I've hankered after a Porsche Cayman since the car was introduced, it just ticks all the boxes for me. :D

I have had Diesel Jim and I must say I do prefer Petrol by a country mile. Particularly with MB. I have only had a 220d but is was so agricultural on start up and not the quietest not the most economic Diesel I have ever driven. :(

My last two have both been Petrol, the current one being a 2ltr Petrol. We did a round trip 0f 210 miles in this current one and it returned just over 44 mpg, keeping to the speed limits with my speed limiter in place with the passenger seat and with the A/C on !. That is about the same as the old 220d. My vote goes to a much sweeter Petrol engine :)

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had Diesel Jim and I must say I do prefer Petrol by a country mile. Particularly with MB. I have only had a 220d but is was so agricultural on start up and not the quietest not the most economic Diesel I have ever driven. :(

My last two have both been Petrol, the current one being a 2ltr Petrol. We did a round trip 0f 210 miles in this current one and it returned just over 44 mpg, keeping to the speed limits with my speed limiter in place with the passenger seat and with the A/C on !. That is about the same as the old 220d. My vote goes to a much sweeter Petrol engine :)

A lot of diesels are rather agricultural as you say Andy but the V6 is not one of them, when it's warmed up you can barely hear it at tick over, in fact you need to be absolutely kicking the backside out of it to hear it at all.

I can listen to classical music on the Command system at 70mph and still hear the triangle being played in the background, which is awesome mate, in fact I usually drive in full auto most of the time because I like to listen to music.

When I drive and change gear with the paddles, I need to be able to hear the engine to get the best out of it. So, no music, however, if I'm trying that hard the music is being supplied by the engine anyway. :D The lift from the torque and the sound of the engine when being driven in this mode is stunning. I love it, the petrol takes too long to get there, lol, although it does usually sound sweet when it's "on song". :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
A lot of diesels are rather agricultural as you say Andy but the V6 is not one of them, when it's warmed up you can barely hear it at tick over, in fact you need to be absolutely kicking the backside out of it to hear it at all.

I can listen to classical music on the Command system at 70mph and still hear the triangle being played in the background, which is awesome mate, in fact I usually drive in full auto most of the time because I like to listen to music.

When I drive and change gear with the paddles, I need to be able to hear the engine to get the best out of it. So, no music, however, if I'm trying that hard the music is being supplied by the engine anyway. :D The lift from the torque and the sound of the engine when being driven in this mode is stunning. I love it, the petrol takes too long to get there, lol, although it does usually sound sweet when it's "on song". :D

The C200 is still o-60 in 7.2 secs which is plenty fast enough for me. Here in Suffolk folk like to just cruise along. Nobody rushes about in Suffolk, if you rush you rush on your own and achieve nothing :rolleyes::D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Absolutely this.
Petrol engines are quieter with no diesel 'thrum'.
They rev out better and have a far more enjoyable sound track. I'll take you out in the 129 some time to demonstrate. Lovely soft burble at low rpm rising to a lovely sonorous roar at high rpm.
Then outside the MB world you have the screaming Honda VTECs, the super smooth Mazda rotary engines and even the oh so willing to rev Smart three cylinders that hit the limiter without you even being aware it's revving that high.
If you want torque a petrol turbo delivers in spades (ever tried driving a normally aspirated diesel - they are truly awful).

Then there's the emissions hassle of diesels with DPFs, adblue, black death, injector issues and EGR just waiting to bite you (how often do you hear of EGR issues on petrol cars - far far less often) and even with all that emission control they're usually not as clean as petrol in the real world.

So for the sake of economy you give up reliability, smoothness, refinement and the pleasure of a high revving petrol engine. I'll keep the petrol cars thanks.
The old 2.6 V6 210 clocked up 160k miles yesterday. I've done 1/3 of them and had no engine work other than a crank sensor on the day I bought it. That's a car that cost me £600 to buy because it was a petrol estate that no one wanted because the economy was poor (at 31 mpg average over 666 miles whilst heavily laden and including an hour idling while waiting to board at Eurotunnel to keep the dogs cool with aircon).

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Jimbo needs a passenger ride in an E63 Biturbo to feel some torque:D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Absolutely this.
Petrol engines are quieter with no diesel 'thrum'.
They rev out better and have a far more enjoyable sound track. I'll take you out in the 129 some time to demonstrate. Lovely soft burble at low rpm rising to a lovely sonorous roar at high rpm.
Then outside the MB world you have the screaming Honda VTECs, the super smooth Mazda rotary engines and even the oh so willing to rev Smart three cylinders that hit the limiter without you even being aware it's revving that high.
If you want torque a petrol turbo delivers in spades (ever tried driving a normally aspirated diesel - they are truly awful).

Then there's the emissions hassle of diesels with DPFs, adblue, black death, injector issues and EGR just waiting to bite you (how often do you hear of EGR issues on petrol cars - far far less often) and even with all that emission control they're usually not as clean as petrol in the real world.

So for the sake of economy you give up reliability, smoothness, refinement and the pleasure of a high revving petrol engine. I'll keep the petrol cars thanks.
The old 2.6 V6 210 clocked up 160k miles yesterday. I've done 1/3 of them and had no engine work other than a crank sensor on the day I bought it. That's a car that cost me £600 to buy because it was a petrol estate that no one wanted because the economy was poor (at 31 mpg average over 666 miles whilst heavily laden and including an hour idling while waiting to board at Eurotunnel to keep the dogs cool with aircon).

I can't really argue against any of this because, when you get right down to it, from my perspective anyway, it's about money, a commodity I would like to own more of but, I have to live by cutting my cloth....

The Merc diesel gives me a balance I can live with in performance and economy, touch wood, so far at least, it has been reliable, I find it both smooth and refined too, granted I could have better performance with a large petrol engine but as soon as you drive it as it was meant to be, and as I am inclined to do, the economy goes out the window and costs get stratospheric. It's not really about economy per se, it's about getting the best performance with a hint of affordability for me tbh.

I have driven most of the models you have mentioned along with Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc... and I agree with your assessment and opinion but... the lack of money prevents me owning and running the more powerful of them, well apart from the Smart. :D N/A diesels are not funny in any shape or form, been there done that never, ever want to do that again. :rolleyes:

Regarding the emission, DPF, EGR, injector issues you mention, personally I have never experienced these in any diesel car I have owned, I put that down to driving them all as if I'd stolen them. They don't get to clog up by driving solely for economy, they get an Italian tune up on a regular basis. I run turbo diesels because I can map them and get increased power or, economy to use and abuse when I need/have to.

Black death, I have never experienced either, in fact I only heard of it after joining the forum.

As for Adblue, I rather obstinately refuse to own a car that needs it to function.

My next and last car will be a Porsche Cayman, not your favourite marque I know Alistair, however, I love them, they tick all the boxes for me and I can still do most of the service and consumables work that crops up on them myself. Being a petrol it will be a bit of a return to sensible motoring for me, in as much as, driving like I stole it will no longer be the norm, rather an occasional pleasure I will have to get used too. I suppose I will appreciate the handling and maintaining mid corner speed all the more as a result.

Money....ain't the lack of it a bitch? Where's that bluddy Lottery ticket? :D:D:D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jimbo needs a passenger ride in an E63 Biturbo to feel some torque:D

Passenger...passenger? bugg£r that, I want a shot behind the wheel Roger!

Anyone feeling brave enough? :D:D:D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I can't really argue against any of this because, when you get right down to it, from my perspective anyway, it's about money, a commodity I would like to own more of but, I have to live by cutting my cloth....

The Merc diesel gives me a balance I can live with in performance and economy, touch wood, so far at least, it has been reliable, I find it both smooth and refined too, granted I could have better performance with a large petrol engine but as soon as you drive it as it was meant to be, and as I am inclined to do, the economy goes out the window and costs get stratospheric. It's not really about economy per se, it's about getting the best performance with a hint of affordability for me tbh.

I have driven most of the models you have mentioned along with Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc... and I agree with your assessment and opinion but... the lack of money prevents me owning and running the more powerful of them, well apart from the Smart. :D N/A diesels are not funny in any shape or form, been there done that never, ever want to do that again. :rolleyes:

Regarding the emission, DPF, EGR, injector issues you mention, personally I have never experienced these in any diesel car I have owned, I put that down to driving them all as if I'd stolen them. They don't get to clog up by driving solely for economy, they get an Italian tune up on a regular basis. I run turbo diesels because I can map them and get increased power or, economy to use and abuse when I need/have to.

Black death, I have never experienced either, in fact I only heard of it after joining the forum.

As for Adblue, I rather obstinately refuse to own a car that needs it to function.

My next and last car will be a Porsche Cayman, not your favourite marque I know Alistair, however, I love them, they tick all the boxes for me and I can still do most of the service and consumables work that crops up on them myself. Being a petrol it will be a bit of a return to sensible motoring for me, in as much as, driving like I stole it will no longer be the norm, rather an occasional pleasure I will have to get used too. I suppose I will appreciate the handling and maintaining mid corner speed all the more as a result.

Money....ain't the lack of it a bitch? Where's that bluddy Lottery ticket? :D:D:D
Nothing against Porsches per se.
I've just found the ones I've driven slightly underwhelming and see the 911as a triumph of engineering over poor design.
I've always hankered after s 928 GT for example. I couldn't live with s e speed manual so it would have be a manual (hence GT).
I did start looking at Porsche Cayenne a number of years ago but was severely put off by the reputation for Nikasil bore issues and the number that were advertised with 'a ticking tappet' - the early symptom of Nikasil failure (a failure that writes the engine off).
One of the only cars I'd replace the Smart Roadster with is a Boxster S (the other being a Z4 3.0). I've never been overly impressed with build quality of the interior of Porsches either.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you around my way Jim, anytime you like.

Ach Roger, sadly you're an 8 and 1/4 hour drive away, as near as damn it 500 miles . :( Shame. :rolleyes: Thanks for the offer though. :p

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Passenger...passenger? bugg£r that, I want a shot behind the wheel Roger!

Anyone feeling brave enough? :D:D:D

Likewise Jim, I could create an awful smell as a passenger in one of those being driven in anger :eek::eek::eek:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Ach Roger, sadly you're an 8 and 1/4 hour drive away, as near as damn it 500 miles . :( Shame. :rolleyes: Thanks for the offer though. :p
Wouldn’t be the first time Rodger handed over the keys to another member for a quick spin, we were at a dyno day at MSL a few years ago and he threw the E55 keys at me and said give it a try, needless to say I was hooked on the 113k

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Likewise Jim, I could create an awful smell as a passenger in one of those being driven in anger :eek::eek::eek:

Not a good passenger then Andy?
I would not drive in anger, particularly someone else’s car, as that’s when mistakes happen.
Much better to make progress with a cool head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not a good passenger then Andy?
I would not drive in anger, particularly someone else’s car, as that’s when mistakes happen.
Much better to make progress with a cool head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I'm not Jim. The only one I am alright with is my Son-in-Law who is not only a very good considerate driver but he is also not a fast driver. Perhaps a little frustratingly slow at times. :rolleyes::D In his XF 3.0s he drove pretty enthusiastically but now he has an MB he is a different driver altogether :rolleyes:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Wouldn’t be the first time Rodger handed over the keys to another member for a quick spin, we were at a dyno day at MSL a few years ago and he threw the E55 keys at me and said give it a try, needless to say I was hooked on the 113k

I remember that:D
It may have been the same day ChrisA gave me the keys to his 700+bhp Weistec supercharged CLS55 with nitrous for a run up the drag strip.
I wanted to bury the throttle but you just can't in someone elses car.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
It may have been the same day ChrisA gave me the keys to his 700+bhp Weistec supercharged CLS55 with nitrous for a run up the drag strip.
It certainly was Roger, although I did bury the throttle briefly in yours :confused:

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Oh dear Roger, you may want to withdraw your offer sir!

Although I agree in principle with your statement regarding someone else's car, I'm afraid the the last time I was given carté blanche in a colleagues Boxster S I gave him a bit of a start. Not really knowing what my skill set was, he rather unwisely said "Go on, just go for it Jimbo, you know you want too".
So, taking him at his word I did.
As we entered and exited the roundabout in a beautiful four wheel drift I heard him utter "Oh God" just under his breathe, and as he recounted the moment to his friend later, he paid me the ultimate compliment by saying "I was a little worried at first however, it soon became apparent that he knew exactly what he was doing", which, I thought was mighty big of him.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom