Any F1 fans

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Im not surprised by Bottas staying at Mercedes....but interestingly it only appears to be a 1 year deal.
I dont think it will put any pressure on Hamilton at all because he has never been in a rush to sign contracts in the past, and I would reckon Mercedes ultimately want him more than he wants them....but having said that he will absolutely want to stay exactly where he is.
What will be very interesting is how long a contract he signs with Mercedes.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where could Lewis go that would give him a consistently better car?
There isn't anywhere - so he's really forced to stay where he is.
Toto has the stronger hand.
He could walk away.....don't rule out that option.
Toto will definitely not want him to do that though.
What I have read about past negotiations is that they have been long and intense.
I dont think either side has a significantly stronger hand in this case...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Bottas has signed to stay at Mercedes next year (1 year deal again!!!!)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bottas has signed to stay at Mercedes next year (1 year deal again!!!!)
I just got a deja vu feeling there. :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that. :oops:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Grrrrrr!!!!
I never watch the news but I turned on the tv to see what time the F1 highlights were on tonight and they announced the winner!
I'm so cross!!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The tyres are much safer because of the sidewall rigidity but that lack of flexibility is ripping the tread off them especially the medium compound - some way to go to design that out of the tyre structure

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was it only Mercedes that was struggling so badly with the tyres? Red Bull didn't seem to have any problems.
Even though Lewis continues to have a 30 point lead in the championship he crucially extended his lead over Bottas to 34 points, who realistically should be the only one he needs to worry about.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Was it only Mercedes that was struggling so badly with the tyres? Red Bull didn't seem to have any problems.

No, McLaren had problems as did RP. You can't blame the tyres. Ferrari one stopped LeClerc!!!!

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
True.
It'll be a mix of things.

Christian Horner was saying that he thinks that the higher down force that Mercedes ran over Red Bull is the cause, but knowing how teams like to hide their advantages I think that may be a red herring.

In any case blistering is caused by overheating in localized areas, hence why drivers are asked to take it easy when first leaving the pits until the tyres have warmed up evenly.

Normally teams run the tyres at as low a pressure as permitted (the air has weight) and over the last race Pirelli had raised the minimum pressures in order to protect against the sudden delaminations experienced the week before.

Perhaps Red Bull normally run their tyres at higher pressures than Mercedes and set the suspension geometry accordingly.
We know that they've optimised their car for higher temperatures than Mercedes and with increased temperatures you'd expect to see an increase in tyre pressures.

Mercedes optimisation for cooler race temperatures and maybe lower tyre pressures could be causing them issues that have only now become apparent as last years design philosophy has progressed into this years car.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That's a real trade off isn't it? a m3 of air will be c1.3kg, I'm too lazy to work out the m3 of each tyre (and don't have the dimensions to hand anyway), but against these delamination problems whatever it is, it ain't worth it....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That's a real trade off isn't it? a m3 of air will be c1.3kg, I'm too lazy to work out the m3 of each tyre (and don't have the dimensions to hand anyway), but against these delamination problems whatever it is, it ain't worth it....
They use Nitrogen so m3 ~ 1.251kg (air m3 ~ 1.225kg)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
which is why c.....(Forgotten about the N though, which was @brandwooddixon fault anyway for mentioning air!)
There will be some air as I doubt they fit the tyres in a purely Nitrogen environment...:rolleyes:
And I doubt they vacuum them out when they've fitted them...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There will be some air as I doubt they fit the tyres in a purely Nitrogen environment...:rolleyes:
And I doubt they vacuum them out when they've fitted them...
Ah but how much is 'some'?....could be the difference between the driver having a full **** or half ****?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom