MAF Delete (CDI 2)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Next on the menu is to punch out your cats. Then it will go like a rocket like mine does.
What a f***ing dumb thing to say.
Take the silencer off the exhaust as well why don’t you?

OP
stumo

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
Nice to know you care so much for your fellow human beings and the environment.

I bet these guys would be interested in your modifications.
https://www.epa.vic.gov.au/for-comm...ion/air-quality/vehicle-emissions-air-quality

They only care about smokey vehicles. Mine isnt smokey in the slightest. In fact it was slightly smokey with the breaking-down 1st CAT before I punched it out, as pieces of CAT had started to block the second CAT.

Mine is now identical to my OM612 Sprinter as it came stock from the factory with no EGR, no MAF, no CATs, no flaps. And the sprinter is a newer vehicle!

Why is it fine for a Sprinter to not have all that unreliable crap on it, yet a car with identtical drivetrain has to?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
They only care about smokey vehicles. Mine isnt smokey in the slightest. In fact it was slightly smokey with the breaking-down 1st CAT before I punched it out, as pieces of CAT had started to block the second CAT.

Mine is now identical to my OM612 Sprinter as it came stock from the factory with no EGR, no MAF, no CATs, no flaps. And the sprinter is a newer vehicle!

Why is it fine for a Sprinter to not have all that unreliable crap on it, yet a car with identtical drivetrain has to?
Because light commercial vehicles are legislated differently to passenger cars. Which, given that passenger cars outnumber LCVs by about 30-40:1 is as it should be.
Oh and your justification sucks a**e. Just because your car doesn’t appear smokey doesn’t mean it isn’t kicking out very fine particulates or NOx, which it’s factory- stock design mitigates against.

OP
stumo

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The factory stock design means the car becomes worthless as the cost of maintaining those devices is more than the cost of buying a replacement vehicle.

How much environmental damage is done creating a brand new vehicle? And damage done earning the coin to buy that vehicle? Considering the perfectly good vehicle I already have can be fixed for pennies and run more efficiently than it ever did stock.

BTW a commercial vehicle does a lot more miles than a passenger vehicle.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The factory stock design means the car becomes worthless as the cost of maintaining those devices is more than the cost of buying a replacement vehicle.

How much environmental damage is done creating a brand new vehicle? And damage done earning the coin to buy that vehicle? Considering the perfectly good vehicle I already have can be fixed for pennies and run more efficiently than it ever did stock.

BTW a commercial vehicle does a lot more miles than a passenger vehicle.
I’ve owned 9 cars withDPF, EGR & catalytic converters. Total maintenance cost across the lot for environmental control measures:

Vauxhall Vectra- 1 x new cat (£340)
Nissan X- Trail- EGR removal, clean, replace (£60)

and that’s it. I’ve spent more on servicing, brake and suspension components than environmental kit by a factor of ten or twenty. Or more.

Without being snobbish, none of those cars cost less than £400 even when sold (and all were bought secondhand for not much money) so your assertion of the cost of maintaining their environmental control systems just doesn’t stack up.

Similarly, a white panel van doesn’t do more miles across its lifetime typically than a passenger car, the numbers tend to favour cars by 10-15% I know, I’ve been at the design & build end for both with a Big5 carmaker. So that doesn’t stack up either.
Next baseless claim?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
There are lots of diesels around blowing black smoke often as a result of a malfunctioning egr. Particulates are a major problem. Deleting egr prevents that - almost no visible particulates and, if used in conjunction with a dpf, they are really clear. The dpf doesn't regen nearly as often which stops that horrible black cloud of soot emanating from the tailpipe during regen. The only drawback I see from egr deletion is the Nox increase and that depends on how well the egr is working anyway.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

If you bodge the emissions systems because you're too tight to fix it properly what else do you bodge.
NOx and Particulates are known to cause lung disease and cancer.
Just because your government allows commercial vehicles more lax emissions regulations does not make it right for passenger vehicles (which significantly out number commercial vehicles).
Man up and fix things properly to how they left the factory instead of being too tight to accept your responsibility of car ownership.

OP
stumo

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why are you even in this thread then if you'd rather spend $250 on a MAF every 6 months, than $0.25 on a resistor and diode. Jog on.

I dont attack you guys for blindly going to the dealer for repeated wallet flushes. So why can't you just leave the rest of us to work out cheaper and better ways to maintain our cars. Thats what forums are supposed to be for. Contributing relevant useful information.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why are you even in this thread then if you'd rather spend $250 on a MAF every 6 months, than $0.25 on a resistor and diode. Jog on.

I dont attack you guys for blindly going to the dealer for repeated wallet flushes. So why can't you just leave the rest of us to work out cheaper and better ways to maintain our cars. Thats what forums are supposed to be for. Contributing relevant useful information.
I’ve spent £70 for a MAF in 20 years.

Next baseless claim?

Fora (not forums) are there to help people. Not to contribute towards illegal acts, which is what you’re doing by the way.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I haven't been to a dealer in years. I do 90% of my work myself.
I don't entirely agree with MAF deletes or EGR deletes (EGR reduces poisonous NOx emissions) but removing cats and DPFs is a step too far. You'll note I didn't comment until you made the comment of coring the cats.
My SL blocked a cat a while back. I cored it but only to get it running until I sourced a new one.
It made no difference to power refitting the cat but complies with EU3 emissions regulations with it fitted.

OP
stumo

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And for other people, writing off an otherwise perfectly servicable vehicle due to the cost of a failed CAT or DPF, is a step too far.

There are plenty of other threads you can "contribute" to if this one doesn't suit your tastes.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And for other people, writing off an otherwise perfectly servicable vehicle due to the cost of a failed CAT or DPF, is a step too far.

There are plenty of other threads you can "contribute" to if this one doesn't suit your tastes.
You still don't get it do you. It's illegal to remove or tamper with emissions systems in many parts of the world.
There's no discussion about that and no justification.
It's black and white.
No judge will say "Oh ok you couldn't afford to replace the parts so we'll just let you off."

It's completely indefensible.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Southern hemisphere tempers:D?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I’d like to know how many of your cars have, honestly and truthfully, been written beyond economical repair due to a failed cat or DPF? Please tell us. Because a £300 emissions control part usually fails far less than many other wear and tear related parts, such as turbochargers (don’t see you ranting on about those, but I’ve had 200% more turbo failures than cats), piezo injectors (lets go back to SU carbs eh?), a/c systems (just open the window).....

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
OP
stumo

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fantastic contributions as ever. Not sure what we'd all do without them.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fantastic contributions as ever. Not sure what we'd all do without them.
Yep. Try answering the questions and we could have a meaningful conversation.

rayofsunshine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 270 cdi 2001 CLK230K
IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1906.jpg IMG_1908.jpg Well after that diatribe I will get back to the point of this forum MAF Delete. As previously stated I was to try different resistors, so I rechecked my wiring and cleaned it up with new wires no relay but fitted a plug as J911 did in EGR post page 7, worked fine but still low pressure fault as previous.
Then fitted Stumo's delete with 8.2k resistor no faults now all works well but untidy so I cut back an old MAF to expose the pins fitted the parts and sealed in epoxy see pics

Top Bottom