Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Hi Andy,

I was stripping my 6CD player down last night, and was thinking WWTVD?o_O
(CL500 -215)

(What would Television Do):)

Taking it nice n slow, think it’s just ‘sticky’ grease on the mech, so q-tips, isopropyl alcohol, and a new blob or 2 of silicon grease and it should be ok!

Glad you are still enjoying the car they are rather special.;)

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
It is very nice indeed to see you on here. Your dad knew my other half from back in the days of Midnight Motors in Watford and of course he was local to where I am so we had that in common. I met him a couple of times at meets, one at Silvermere back in 2007 and then a few years later with Lillian at one of the Christmas gatherings. Here he is tucking into a lovely huge biscuit back in 2007!

GQmO8lF - Imgur.png

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
It is very nice indeed to see you on here. Your dad knew my other half from back in the days of Midnight Motors in Watford and of course he was local to where I am so we had that in common. I

Midnight Motors!! Was that related to the branch of the same name behind Wembley Stadium? A life saver for their long opening hours. I lived in Kilburn in the mid 70's and remember trekking there early on a Sunday morning in my then landlord's Daimler to get the right clutch plate for my Hillman Avenger GT (bright yellow with Roman shield wheel discs, remember them?). Dealer in London had looked up the wrong number in the parts book (in those pre-computer days) so a long Saturday under the car sweating the gearbox off and on the car extended into doing the same thing on Sunday. Moral: check the new part is EXACTLY the same as the old one!
I left for the Far East shortly after that and my days of grovelling under cars were over.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Yup. We lived in Harrow back in the 60’s and 70’s... Midnight were a life saver on more than a couple of occasions and didn’t charge ripoff prices. When I bought SWMBO a well-used but not rusty VW Passat, I discovered VeeWee. Not only did they always have what you needed but but you just told the Partsmsn what you needed and he went and got it - no lookup - one of the best brains behind a Parts Counter!

I wonder if they’re still around?

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Great thread with great memories...did the stickers every happen??

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yup. We lived in Harrow back in the 60’s and 70’s... Midnight were a life saver on more than a couple of occasions and didn’t charge ripoff prices. When I bought SWMBO a well-used but not rusty VW Passat, I discovered VeeWee. Not only did they always have what you needed but but you just told the Partsmsn what you needed and he went and got it - no lookup - one of the best brains behind a Parts Counter!

I wonder if they’re still around?

We had one just like that when I lived in Ealing, West London at the local Austin/Morris dealer. He never looked up the part on his parts list, new exactly what you wanted and exactly where it was. I believe that species are now long since extinct. :rolleyes:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
We were let down some years ago .When we were told that stickers were going to be produced to remember Malcolm,, it fell by the road side . Most of us signed up to purchase one . Anyone remember this ?

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
We were let down some years ago .When we were told that stickers were going to be produced to remember Malcolm,, it fell by the road side . Most of us signed up to purchase one . Anyone remember this ?
I do and am waiting patiently..........

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
@silestanix hasn’t been online since Nov 2019...

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Craig maybe thats the reason why .. Mind it would be hard to find words to put on the sticker ,Some would want this,, and some that . Would be easy to get them made once the logo is sorted out . If we have stickers made for the club, then they could be made there .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think the originator of the idea was let down by various companies he contacted and probably lost interest (which I'm not surprised at).
I personally don't want a sticker. I don't like them and don't have any on my vehicles. I prefer to remember Malcolm in other ways such as giving a like each time one of his posts helps me, carrying on his willingness to give advice and guidance and trying to assist where possible. That was what Malcolm would have done.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Midnight Motors!! Was that related to the branch of the same name behind Wembley Stadium? A life saver for their long opening hours. I lived in Kilburn in the mid 70's and remember trekking there early on a Sunday morning in my then landlord's Daimler to get the right clutch plate for my Hillman Avenger GT (bright yellow with Roman shield wheel discs, remember them?). Dealer in London had looked up the wrong number in the parts book (in those pre-computer days) so a long Saturday under the car sweating the gearbox off and on the car extended into doing the same thing on Sunday. Moral: check the new part is EXACTLY the same as the old one!
I left for the Far East shortly after that and my days of grovelling under cars were over.

Yes it was related to the branch in Wembley, the one in Watford is still there but I doubt they open till midnight anymore :geek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When I was a teenager midnight motors was the term used for people who would steal stuff off parked cars in the middle of the night!

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I remember when fuel injection had just started to show up on English cars . Like Triumph 2500 PI and a few others .And at that time only 2 copanies in England that could set them up right.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I ran a Rover-Triumph parts distributorship back then. Among my ultra-fast movers were two 'PI' parts: the fuel pump situated in the boot (about £50 even then) and the metering pump (way over £100 - can't remember exactly how much). I always thought a high proportion of these parts were changed because the repairer didn't have enough knowledge to tune them etc.

It's amazing when you think that diesel had already been pumped in to the engine with injectors for years and nowadays virtually every petrol engine on the market is injected and mostly run trouble-free.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Dave ..Along with the SU carburettors .One of the best makes of carbs that you could get at the time . With the main set up company in B/H So many of my friends with Jaguars cars made visits over there from time to time,, to have a superb set up caried out . A guy with a stethoscope would work his wonders on them just by sound alone .
Nothing special i had so many twin carburettors cars, so in the end i could do my own with a Colour Tune and an air guage you put on the intake orifice, you had to disconnect the linkage and tune one at a time .. I have only just given them both away .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I ran a Rover-Triumph parts distributorship back then. Among my ultra-fast movers were two 'PI' parts: the fuel pump situated in the boot (about £50 even then) and the metering pump (way over £100 - can't remember exactly how much). I always thought a high proportion of these parts were changed because the repairer didn't have enough knowledge to tune them etc.

It's amazing when you think that diesel had already been pumped in to the engine with injectors for years and nowadays virtually every petrol engine on the market is injected and mostly run trouble-free.
German cars (and aeroplanes) used mechanical fuel injectors all the way back in the 1930s.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
German cars (and aeroplanes) used mechanical fuel injectors all the way back in the 1930s.
It was one of the advantages the ME109 had in WW2 - fuel injection rescued the issues of fuel starvation when inverted for example.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dave ..Along with the SU carburettors .One of the best makes of carbs that you could get at the time . With the main set up company in B/H So many of my friends with Jaguars cars made visits over there from time to time,, to have a superb set up caried out . A guy with a stethoscope would work his wonders on them just by sound alone .
Nothing special i had so many twin carburettors cars, so in the end i could do my own with a Colour Tune and an air guage you put on the intake orifice, you had to disconnect the linkage and tune one at a time .. I have only just given them both away .

Happy days...
Well in my days Triumph had switched to Stromberg which some of our mechanics thought were better. But once BL bought SU just about every car they made with carbs had SU fitted.

I had varying degrees of success with Colour Tune. I could get my mate’s TC Vitesse to purr like a kitten but on the Dolomite I had it was hopeless!

Funny thing was I had a couple of Triumph 2.5 PIs and a Triumph 2000 Our workshop foreman tuned the carbs ‘by ear’ and a 2.5PI couldn’t touch it. The joke is, that one was an automatic which everyone said was slower. it was just a lucky find -a real enthusiast had it before me).

Remember how we used to see the 2000s and 2.5s screaming around corners and roundabouts (the North Circular Road was their race track!). The cars were okay but the reason they apparently went so well was because most of the time they were absolutely flogged to the axles and never got past second! I successfully stopped my BIL from buying an exPolice one for that reason.

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Dave i also had a H reg Triumph 2000 M2 with twin Stromburgs on . One of the nicest cars i have had,, it only had 14.000 miles on the clock . One owner car,, that belonged to a very good friend of mine. Who at the time was promoted to transport manager at his firm. My friend was then given a brand new Ford Granada gia to drive around in . And the Triumph was put in his sisters garage for safe keeping . Untill i purchased it from him, it also had a full service history .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom