Help! Mercedes technicians still not fixed car!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi guys thanks so much for all your advice - I’ve spoken direct with Mercedes in hull (nice guy Steve) explained everything and that I’ve been on this forum etc... offered to do the Star diagnostics for £100 (instead of £116) and if there is anything to do this will come of the cost of any repairs - which I think is fair - he’s Also got us a courtesy car which we need to get to work - if Mercedes can’t diagnose the problem then We are in trouble! It’s going in Thursday so will update you on what they come back with - thanks again
That’s a great immediate offer. Best of luck to you.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
The more I read then the more likely this is an electrical problem. I'd still suspect a wiring issue. The SAM sounds like a possible if nothing at OBD

Star scan should find it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
well at least it will be in a place where any required software updates can be applied

there's a thought.... if yours's was at 166k miles maybe it had had many visits to a main dealer in its life? if the donor was on 28k maybe some engine sensors on that engine are OLD iterations and don't agree with later software your engine management computer has in it

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
First thing will working out why there is no communication via odb, if there is no coms even STAR will be useless here.

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
Has done the juddering Thing again today and this time the engine light has stayed on orange! As we are not booked in till Thursday - I just hope By still driving it we won’t cause any more issues!!

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
In general an orange EML is triggered by a consistent failure in a fuel and/or emissions routine though not exclusively and means ' get me fixed sometime soon'

Sometimes folk disconnect the EML light because it annoys them - so I wouldn't panic..

A Red EML means 'stop now and call a tow truck!'

So you are 'probably' ok.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
im looking forward to fining out exactly whats causing this issue , I do feel it was an issue with the replacement engine though so you may find you inherited it rather than it being part of the original failure

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
Yes we never had this problem before it went in!
If that’s the case there was only a 3 month warranty with the replacement engine and because it’s been in the garage so long it might be out of the warranty now! Not sure where we stand on this? But the garage assured us there was nothing wrong with the replacement engine - it’s a bit of a mess just hoping Mercedes can identify the actual problem then we will just have to take it from there and depending what they come back with might have to take it further with the original garage - I’ve looked at the automotive ombudsman but they are not members

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
To be fair most garages are very aware of negative comments on social media and provided you keep smiling, they will keep working on your side.
Don't worry about 3mth warranty. You reported the problem within 3mth and so they have liability until the problem is fixed.
Just keep them informed so they can be as helpful as need be.
But always keep a written record of what's been done and said 'just in case'. The more detail the better.

Such as

"09 September, 135,000 miles, - driving - 50mph - juddering, loss of power, Orange EML,

As an example...

Same detail if you call them.

Keep all receipts from anywhere as a possible reclaim of costs.

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
You would hope so! I’ve just checked the paperwork we first picked it up When ‘completed’ and paid the £4100 on the 9th July so this is when the warranty started - So we have to 9th October - they collected the car on the 14th July when the juddering problem started got it back on the 17th July not fixed same problem- car went back into garage 22/7 and has been in since we picked it up on the 8/9 with the same problem

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
Do you think I should send an email to original garage to advice same problem and having Mercedes doing a full diagnostics? Just to pre warn them a) there is still a problem and b) getting a second opinion ?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I think you should inform them the car still isn't running properly so you have a record of events as suggested above , you don't want them to think all is ok anyway
This ∆∆ keep them informed.

You could, but do not need to, tell them that you are taking it to MB for a second opinion.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
maybe a pin on the connection to the ecu is bent / not happy / wire damaged getting the engine in and out

no comms to the device via diagnostic port is usually a dead module (can't be its running) or a wiring issue between the car and the part somewhere

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
OP, You need to have a serious discussion about the benefits and pitfalls of volunteering such information with anyone who you may end up in a serious dispute with and how they will interpret this information and any potential effects it may affect their relationship with you!

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I may be wrong (it happens!) But I think MB Star Diagnostics is self powered and doesn't rely on the power through pin 16 on OBD.
So should still be able to read errors.
I also have to question that if bembo449 couldn't connect to the diagnostics? Did the Indy manage to connect last time it was in?
I'm thinking that judging by the length of time they had the car last time maybe they didn't?
Most garages want to get cars in and out as fast as possible so why the delay?
Anyway, like others, I'm very interested in finding out what this one is.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom