Brake caliper refurb

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
The calipers on the (black) CL have, at 11 years old, taken on the patina of an unwrapped toffee left in a pocket for several months. Would like to repaint, but I'm not confident of being able to do a good enough job myself to do the car justice. The original goldish colour didn't do much for me, so a change of colour is on the cards. I'm thinking red might not suit this elderly gentleman's carriage, as too blingy. Any ideas as to a possible colour change?
I know people who have gone to Big Redd but have been disappointed that their colour refinish has lasted no time at all. Anyone know of a refurbisher in the North West who I can deliver to and collect from?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
The calipers on the (black) CL have, at 11 years old, taken on the patina of an unwrapped toffee left in a pocket for several months. Would like to repaint, but I'm not confident of being able to do a good enough job myself to do the car justice. The original goldish colour didn't do much for me, so a change of colour is on the cards. I'm thinking red might not suit this elderly gentleman's carriage, as too blingy. Any ideas as to a possible colour change?
I know people who have gone to Big Redd but have been disappointed that their colour refinish has lasted no time at all. Anyone know of a refurbisher in the North West who I can deliver to and collect from?
Wighty's your man for this.
As I use the six foot test when looking at my wheels and calipers (whilst squinting) I'm happy enough with mine, about six months back when I replaced the pads I did a bit of a refurb various wire brushes and a couple of coats of grey metallic paint from Lidl and it has so far stayed clean.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Wighty's your man for this.
As I use the six foot test when looking at my wheels and calipers (whilst squinting) I'm happy enough with mine, about six months back when I replaced the pads I did a bit of a refurb various wire brushes and a couple of coats of grey metallic paint from Lidl and it has so far stayed clean.
Wighty is not the man for this , he doesn’t usually paint calipers , because when he did spend time doing it he may as well not have bothered 6 months later :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
When I looked into getting the CLK calipers refurbed by someone , I found the prices on the high side , so I refurbed my own calipers and tidied them up for £50 ish

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Did mine with Halfords engine paint, it's thicker than there caliper paint, so it goes on easier and less coats, mines been on for two years and still looks good. :D
20200114_160702.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Did mine with Halfords engine paint, it's thicker than there caliper paint, so it goes on easier and less coats, mines been on for two years and still looks good. :D
View attachment 61960
You'll invalidate your insurance using engine paint on your brake calipers...:rolleyes:
It won't have been type approved or been through testing (@Craiglxviii will be able to advise on the standards :p)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You'll invalidate your insurance using engine paint on your brake calipers...:rolleyes:
It won't have been type approved or been through testing (@Craiglxviii will be able to advise on the standards :p)
I had cost responsibility for exterior paint, but not painted non- body parts such as callipers. Sorry, I cannot help here.

Jason63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG
I used expensive black caliper paint on my other car and only the front calipers (that had extensive preparation work on them) look reasonable after a year or so.

Next time I think I'd let a professional place do them.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
there's half tin of Halford's red caliper paint knocking around somewhere in my garage if anyone wants it ;)

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Just a personal opinion Pete but I think it has to be a factory colour, especially being an AMG and a V12 at that. :)

I'd personally do them grey, which is what mine are finished in, as I didn't fancy red either on what could be considered a barge. I don't know anyone who'd paint them off the top of my head, apart from the usual car painters I suppose. I could prep them for you by media blasting and a bit of a polish if that would benefit in any way?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Your calipers, are a bit different to the usual.

You have steel plates bolted to the caliper housing, which contain the amg lettering etc.

The rest just clips onto the face, meaning, you can remove these plates and have them powder coated, or buy new ones from MB and they will look brand new, see this pic:

S65BCS_F2.jpg

The outer housing can sometimes do with a pain though, depending on condition

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom