Howdy, I'm new here.

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Hi all,

I'm Dan, from West Yorkshire.. I just bought a 2002 CLK 500. I didn't do my due diligence though and ended up with something I can't justifiably repair. Anyway, I'm currently trying to get another so I'll be lurking around.

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Hey Dry run, thanks for the welcome.

The problems are fairly drastic unfortunately. I knew it had issues and I had budget to spend left over so I took a risk. Unfortunately I let myself.be pushed away from the RAC inspection and took it to a local garage who estimated about a grand for repairs. Unfortunately this wasn't the full picture.

I knew there was sealant in the coolant. And a previous owner had fit a manual switch to the cooling fan in the engine bay. Some varioo cosmetic issues and some accessibility issues (keyless entry failing on driver's side for example).

Anyway it appears the sealant is most likely masking a head gasket issue; in itself this isn't that much of an issue really. But it explains the fan mod done. But, and this is the kicker... To facilitate the fan mod, it turns out that the engine loom has been completely butchered. To the point that the cooling level sensors, washer jets and probably more just don't function. So on top of it likely needing the heads skimmed and reseated and whatever else might need doing, it needs a new full wiring loom fitted. Plus the cosmetic issues and a few other things, for me it's just not economical to repair. Parts, labour and not having the car for who knows how ever long it would take to fix, it's cheaper for me to source another (with full RAC inspection) and sell this one (honestly and candidly) to get anything I can back.

What's even worse is I've already lost about 3 grand on a car sale this summer. The one I had to sell in order to get this one as no one wanted to part ex "down" so all in all, I've had a pretty crappy year, automotively speaking.

*And breathe*

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome! Tale of woe which I hope will be replaced with a better tale on your next purchase!

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Welcome! Tale of woe which I hope will be replaced with a better tale on your next purchase!
Thank you. I'm hoping so too. To be fair, the tale goes even deeper but I'll spare you that haha.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Dan. :D

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Welcome to the forum MrPJs, unfortunate intro post. Could you net find a breaker car for most parts, ex whats needed for the HG.
If your capabale some bits you may be able to do yourself.
Those rad sealers a the worst thing even when something else in the circuit fails later on, it all needs taking aparts and cleaning.

The experience will keep you aware for the future.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum :) and hopefully a happier future :) MB is a good place to be so don't give up :rolleyes:

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum :) and hopefully a happier future :) MB is a good place to be so don't give up :rolleyes:
Thank you.

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Welcome to the forum MrPJs, unfortunate intro post. Could you net find a breaker car for most parts, ex whats needed for the HG.
If your capabale some bits you may be able to do yourself.
Those rad sealers a the worst thing even when something else in the circuit fails later on, it all needs taking aparts and cleaning.

The experience will keep you aware for the future.

Thank you. I'm not capable unfortunately. I understand how some things works but when it comes.to actually doing them, I'm not the guy. Plus I don't have the facilities and timescales to manage it. And to be paying for the labour just isn't economical.

I've got my eye on another and have RAC going down next week.

My best hope is someone who is capable may want to do the work for themselves and purchase it from me. It's worth saving I think but not for me. I've put it on auto trader as is so we'll see if I get any interest. If I can recouperate some of my losses, it's better than nothing.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Could it be worth braking and sellling the parts one by one, will be worth more in parts, but that takes alot of effort your side taking bits apart and posting.

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Could it be worth braking and sellling the parts one by one, will be worth more in parts, but that takes alot of effort your side taking bits apart and posting.

It would be worth it for someone but again, not me. I can't keep it on my driveway like that. Plus it's gravel so getting underneath is nigh on impossible. Anything longer than a quick Jack to take a wheel off becomes dangerous. I'll just have to keep it in tact until it can go somewhere. But I think if you take away labour costs, it is economically viable to repair it and save it as a project, so it's possible I might get lucky

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hello and welcome, Dan. Let's hope the one you're after now works out okay!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome buddy , after that tale of woe I bet you wish you hadn’t got out of bed :D (too soon for the pyjama joke ? :rolleyes: )

OP
MrPyjamas

MrPyjamas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2002/M113
Welcome buddy , after that tale of woe I bet you wish you hadn’t got out of bed :D (too soon for the pyjama joke ? :rolleyes: )
Haha. Don't worry. It sort of is a joke. I love coming home after work, locking the door and putting my PJs on. Social anxiety of going out etc

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Haha. Don't worry. It sort of is a joke. I love coming home after work, locking the door and putting my PJs on. Social anxiety of going out etc
I’m more of a birthday suit kind of guy :shock::shock::shock:

Top Bottom