New 4x4 Advice: GLE

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thank you...I just need to figure out what Active curve is...dealer made a big point about it and I have never heard of it before to be honest.

Active Curve System (ACS) is an optional feature fitted on many Mercedes-Benz SUV models. It uses electro-hydraulic stabilizer to stiffen or relax the stabilizer bars which can help the vehicle when cornering. ACS is fitted on some vehicles with air suspension. Overall vehicles equipped with ACS handle better than Mercedes vehicles that don’t have ACS. To have Active Curve System your Mercedes-Benz needs to have air suspension

Recall:

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercedes-active-curve-system-leak-from-oil-reservoir/

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Active Curve System (ACS) is an optional feature fitted on many Mercedes-Benz SUV models. It uses electro-hydraulic stabilizer to stiffen or relax the stabilizer bars which can help the vehicle when cornering. ACS is fitted on some vehicles with air suspension. Overall vehicles equipped with ACS handle better than Mercedes vehicles that don’t have ACS. To have Active Curve System your Mercedes-Benz needs to have air suspension

Recall:

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercedes-active-curve-system-leak-from-oil-reservoir/
Great thank you! More tech to go wrong then!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
All four wheels work independently to make sure all four wheels are on the ground at the same time. While this is happening, front and rear stabilizers will push on either side to level the cabin with Earth’s core, comfortably keeping you in your seat even when climbing up the side of a rather large mountain. :eek::D

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Wow, sounds like some great marketing guff there. Will see how it is like in real life. Seller tells me it was a £3.5k option!!

I had better take the advice of JBell above and try to get the recall booked in.

Edit: Just called my local dealer (or the group call centre should I say)
The vehicle had the Active Curve recall in July this year (along with the ECU update)

Saved me a trip then. Thanks again JBell for posting.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Thanks all...picked car up today and very pleased...the drive home was great and this car seems less 'bouncy' than some others I test drove. Maybe the active curve actually does help!?

Wasnt a great start. There was a warning message, ILS not operative. But I took key out and restarted and that went away!

Other fault I have noticed is the DAB radio cuts out very regularly. Did some reading and seems a common issue. Have spoken to Braybrooks and they mention they can do a software update which should resolve this...they are fitting a reversing camera for me so hopefully can sort the DAB at the same time.

Other than that, very pleased so far.

There is some sort of tracker sticker...assume I can just rip this off?

a56fa4792da31cec9bd41b020401a105.jpg
8bae0330ae430ff5125761b2b02acb72.jpg

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Thank you John. Strange it is there, but will pull it off and bin it!

Will hope to stick around and interact a bit more often here going forward. I used to be a more regular poster a few years ago, but since switching to a new Mercedes I felt a bit removed from the usual forum banter! I mean, they are main dealer serviced, under warranty, nothing to fix, change or usually go wrong. Boring really!

I am sure I can get up to more mischeif with this slightly older car so hope to report back soon on how the reverse camera retrofit goes to start with.

Was also tempted to add car play at the same time, but hesitating at the moment only due to cost...may change my mind, let's see!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thank you John. Strange it is there, but will pull it off and bin it!

Will hope to stick around and interact a bit more often here going forward. I used to be a more regular poster a few years ago, but since switching to a new Mercedes I felt a bit removed from the usual forum banter! I mean, they are main dealer serviced, under warranty, nothing to fix, change or usually go wrong. Boring really!

I am sure I can get up to more mischeif with this slightly older car so hope to report back soon on how the reverse camera retrofit goes to start with.

Was also tempted to add car play at the same time, but hesitating at the moment only due to cost...may change my mind, let's see!
I have newer , warranty covered and dealer serviced cars now that are not even Mercedes and I still hang around for the banter and the odd time I remember something useful !

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Nearly two years in...how time flies.

1000 hours and 22,000 miles of smiles. Doubling the car’s mileage as that was the mileage on purchase.

I must say this old ML is one of the best cars I have owned. Supremely comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
We also have a new 2021 Tesla, but I always end up picking up the keys for the ML when I have the choice.
Issues in two years:
- Initial issue with the DAB cutting out on purchase (MB software update sorted it)
- One time the boot would not close (sorted itself out after a few minutes)
- Diesel has become mighty expensive in recent months!

Overall, hasn't really seemed to miss a beat. I have had it serviced twice, once when I bought it, once again a year later, next service due shortly. Have had all the filters done (official MB); gearbox fluid and filter, two rear tyres replaced with MO Continental (matching to front), also had all the brake pads and discs done all around (official MB).

Let's see what happens next. I do have a new car on order which is due to arrive in next few months. However, I cannot see the usability and stress free experience of the ML being matched. I can park it where I want without worrying. Use it for dump duties. Let the kids make a mess...I will struggle to part with it anytime soon. Probably my second longest period of car ownership after the 2008 facelift CLS I had in 2012.

bcd8f9b0d47bf364b239c2f6e93217a6.jpg

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom