Hi - E270 W211 - looking for advice on ABS and ESP malfunction

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 270 CDI W211 177 bhp (2005)
Hi All

My E class 2005 W211 is showing an ABS and ESP malfunction. It's been plugged in for diagnostics to no avail. I've tried changing the brake light switch (youtube recommend that can apparently fix it sometimes - it didn't). Needs an MOT soon so am anxious to be able to resolve the malfunction without getting a second mortgage! Any advice gratefully received.

Also, looking to upgrade to a newer vehicle. Not brand new, just newer than mine so prob a 2011/2011 plate. Tempted by the E class E250 (sadly only the 2.1 engine - would love a 3.00 litre but fear its a bit OTT for the minimal motorway miles I do - mostly just around local area which I know isn't efficient but I do love an MB!). Any thoughts / recommendations gratefully received.

All the best
N

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All

My E class 2005 W211 is showing an ABS and ESP malfunction. It's been plugged in for diagnostics to no avail. I've tried changing the brake light switch (youtube recommend that can apparently fix it sometimes - it didn't). Needs an MOT soon so am anxious to be able to resolve the malfunction without getting a second mortgage! Any advice gratefully received.

Also, looking to upgrade to a newer vehicle. Not brand new, just newer than mine so prob a 2011/2011 plate. Tempted by the E class E250 (sadly only the 2.1 engine - would love a 3.00 litre but fear its a bit OTT for the minimal motorway miles I do - mostly just around local area which I know isn't efficient but I do love an MB!). Any thoughts / recommendations gratefully received.

All the best
N
Course I mean 2011/2012....

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Any fault codes at all? W211’s of this age are prone to the reluctor rings breaking up on the rear driveshafts

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Benz, thanks for reply. No codes ....
Someone else has mentioned the reluctor ring. I guess the cost in sorting that is mainly labour... is it difficult to replace?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Is the steering affected at + 10 mph . Is the main battery in good health ?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
If lights are on, there are codes. Plug it on compliant reader...

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id defo try a different diagnostic machine and I feel it will turn out to be a reluctor ring , they rust and rott so no longer give the sensor the correct reading , not a massive job to change , just nee to make sure the old ring is completely removed

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the steering affected at + 10 mph . Is the main battery in good health ?

Steering is all good. Main battery is fine - it was depleted during lockdown due to no use, but was charged overnight and has been fine since.

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
id defo try a different diagnostic machine and I feel it will turn out to be a reluctor ring , they rust and rott so no longer give the sensor the correct reading , not a massive job to change , just nee to make sure the old ring is completely removed

Thanks Bembo, that's helpful. I don't have my own diagnostics machine, but will ask the garage for the codes when they plug it in. Previous garage plugged in their machine and said they couldn't find anything - could just be fobbing me off tho. Good to know reluctor ring isn't a massive task..

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If lights are on, there are codes. Plug it on compliant reader...
Thanks mersum. don't have my own code reader so will ask garage for codes.... like I say, prev garage said it could be any number of things, relieved me of some cash for the priviledge of plugging it in and sent me on my way. I'd like to think garages didn't fob off the fairer sex anymore these days, but sadly its still possible I guess...... :)
Cheers for your help.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Unfortunately that is still a big problem in the motor trade , I would not be surprised if they did have codes , just didnt want the work , ive been fixing cars for 30 years now but until a few years ago ( and this forum ) and never heard of a reluctor ring

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately that is still a big problem in the motor trade , I would not be surprised if they did have codes , just didnt want the work , ive been fixing cars for 30 years now but until a few years ago ( and this forum ) and never heard of a reluctor ring

Yes, you might well be right! Every day a school day eh?!
I've booked it in with another garage who I know and trust... fingers crossed. Although they've already looked for a reluctor ring and can't source one so the only other option is to replace the drive shaft which they say is horrible money - poor car, its days might be numbered! Still, all I can do is let them have a look and see what they say.

OP
N

Nicki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
Garage have confirmed its the reluctor ring - no longer attached to the CV joint (whatever that is). Trouble is they can't get it off the drive shaft despite lots of elbow grease. Any tips for removing the reluctor ring from the drive shaft without damaging the whole thing?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Don't quite get this. If the ring is no longer attached to the CV what's the issue?

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
Don't quite get this. If the ring is no longer attached to the CV what's the issue?
On the same car with the same fault my local garage pulled the rear shaft out and replaced the ring with no problem.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom