ESP Inoperative and check engine light - limp mode

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes A Class A180CDI 2014
I have a 2014 (64) A180 CDI and most mornings lately when I start the car, it comes up with ESP inoperative and a check engine light and drives in limp mode.

If I take the car to work, by the time I leave, the ESP fault has gone but the check engine light remains for a while but the car will drive as normal.

I gave the car a good run on the motorway a couple of nights ago to see if it made any difference and the following morning, there was no faults and the car started and drove as normal. My Dad said perhaps the DPF needs cleaning? Also seen people say it could be a brake light switch etc.

Anyone able to help me out and have any idea what this may be so I can get it sorted? Cheers.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Low battery voltage, abs sensor, brake light switch. Steering angle..... any of this can cause it. Its not so easy to diagnose when its intermittent.

OP
J

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Low battery voltage, abs sensor, brake light switch. Steering angle..... any of this can cause it. Its not so easy to diagnose when its intermittent.
I’ve seen all those things mentioned a few times on other posts, I’ll try get it on a diag later and see if anything comes up. Cheers.

OP
J

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also have a pre-safety functions limited warning on when I start the car, which I think is down to a faulty collision sensor, could that possibly be related to these other issues?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I also have a pre-safety functions limited warning on when I start the car, which I think is down to a faulty collision sensor, could that possibly be related to these other issues?
A couple of years ago I had a couple of warning lights because of a front impact sensor , after changing my battery it hasn’t reoccurred .

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Possibly low battery voltage , if its down to low 12 or 11.9 . These features go nuts.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
EML will save a code. You have a goodmerc indy nearby, you need the codes read and it diagnosed by a competent person.

OP
J

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly low battery voltage , if its down to low 12 or 11.9 . These features go nuts.
We ran the car on a diagnostic and the voltage drops to 7.4v when it first starts, but then it goes up to over 14v, does that sound like a weak battery? We’re going to retest it the weekend after it hasn’t ran for a while to see if that voltage is different as its had a decent run today.

OP
J

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My collision sensor at the front is definitely faulty, hasn’t worked for a while, I’m gonna replace that regardless and see if that helps the other faults.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
7.4 ????? 14 v is the alternator charge.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
7.4 volts wont crank a car.
How old is the battery.
Have you got a voltmeter, no need for fancy diags to test a battery/alternator.

V always drops when starting, uses alot to turn an engine.

Check the voltage nothing running, check the voltage running - seems alterantor is fine, but you need to check battery with no load.

Last edited:

Chris16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 1.5 dci
Did you manage to fix the problem with the esp inoperative and amber engine light? Also my car goes into pre safe mode (limp mode) it’s also a 2013 a180 1.5 dci thanks

Chris16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 1.5 dci
I have a 2014 (64) A180 CDI and most mornings lately when I start the car, it comes up with ESP inoperative and a check engine light and drives in limp mode.

If I take the car to work, by the time I leave, the ESP fault has gone but the check engine light remains for a while but the car will drive as normal.

I gave the car a good run on the motorway a couple of nights ago to see if it made any difference and the following morning, there was no faults and the car started and drove as normal. My Dad said perhaps the DPF needs cleaning? Also seen people say it could be a brake light switch etc.

Anyone able to help me out and have any idea what this may be so I can get it sorted? Cheers.
Hi mate did you fix the issue I’m having the same problem, any help would be much apreciated I’ll love you forever

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
If you have the original battery it's probably time for a new one. Mercs hate a weak battery

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Did you manage to fix the problem with the esp inoperative and amber engine light? Also my car goes into pre safe mode (limp mode) it’s also a 2013 a180 1.5 dci thanks
The op joined and was last seen on the same day 18 months ago , I wouldn’t hold out too much hope for a reply

OP
J

JordanF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry guys, the issue was always intermittent for me and it didn’t re-occur for a long time but recently, it came back and it was persistent.

Took it to a local garage and they said it was the accelerator position sensor after running it on the diagnostic, he’s reset it and since that the fault seems to have cleared for now.

AmaanA

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 A180 CDI 2014
Hi mate I am having the same problem on my car. In the end did the problem manage to resolve?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom