The “A” button on Mercedes A class dash

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
Hello guys hope you are all doing well.
So I know the A button is the eco stop/start button, but how does it work?
I have it on (see image) and whenever I stop at traffic lights etc, the car doesn’t turn off.
I have the break pedal pressed and the clutch pressed and it is in first gear. I read in the integrated manual that certain conditions had to be met and as far as I know, they are met.
So why doesn’t the car engine turn off?
Am I doing something wrong?
the dash board advises me to put car in neutral but I read somewhere that it has to be in first gear for the auto stop/start to work.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• F432A5A1-9BF2-41F5-ABDF-F2FAD58922B1.jpeg
    F432A5A1-9BF2-41F5-ABDF-F2FAD58922B1.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 29
  • B46897D2-3401-4F33-9F1D-AA60B8499014.jpeg
    B46897D2-3401-4F33-9F1D-AA60B8499014.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 30

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Most of us on here have autos so not too sure about a manual gearbox, but, on my wife's last Mini, we had to come out of gear into neutral and take the foot off the clutch before the engine would cut out. The engine started again when we depressed the clutch. I have no idea whether the Mercedes system works the same though.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Disable it, most drivers are more interested in disabling it as there is some concern about premature wear and damage with constant stop starting, only brought in to placate the anti motorist brigade within the EU legislators.

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Sarakh9

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
Disable it, most drivers are more interested in disabling it as there is some concern about premature wear and damage with constant stop starting, only brought in to placate the anti motorist brigade within the EU legislators.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Oh ok thank you

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Most of us on here have autos so not too sure about a manual gearbox, but, on my wife's last Mini, we had to come out of gear into neutral and take the foot off the clutch before the engine would cut out. The engine started again when we depressed the clutch. I have no idea whether the Mercedes system works the same though.

It's the same on every manual car I have ever driven with stop start. You have to put the car into neutral.

Once you press the clutch the car restarts

Personally I like the system on my (auto) Mercs and it is said to save up to 5% of fuel but some disagree

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
the dash board advises me to put car in neutral

And that's why

PS you already know that other conditions have to be met before the system will work but it is very hard for the driver to know when they are all satisfied as they include battery condition and charge for example, as well as some which you can assess like engine temperature

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
And that's why

PS you already know that other conditions have to be met before the system will work but it is very hard for the driver to know when they are all satisfied as they include battery condition and charge for example, as well as some which you can assess like engine temperature
The little A light turns from green to amber when the other criteria is wrong, it can double up as a battery monitor, if permanently orange then your battery may need replacing....

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Sarakh9

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
The little A light turns from green to amber when the other criteria is wrong, it can double up as a battery monitor, if permanently orange then your battery may need replacing....

Mercedes SL500 R231
Oh kkkk so the light is not amber...like ever. So maybe it’s the fact that I’m not putting it in neutral. It just seems like too much faff to be honest.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Oh kkkk so the light is not amber...like ever. So maybe it’s the fact that I’m not putting it in neutral. It just seems like too much faff to be honest.
Lol 5% fuel saving in an A class if your lucky over a year just not worth it, especially as it puts extra load on your engine over it's lifetime. If like my wife you put say £20 in your tank a week you might save around £40 a year if you are religious about it, if you end up replacing the battery a year earlier due to the extra load it would cost you more!

Mercedes SL500 R231

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
It's the same on every manual car I have ever driven with stop start. You have to put the car into neutral.

Once you press the clutch the car restarts

Personally I like the system on my (auto) Mercs and it is said to save up to 5% of fuel but some disagree

Maybe but u spend the difference and maybe a lot more on timing chains, gears and starters, ring gears,
nothing convinces me that these components are made more durable to balance the extra use/ stress. For makers it's win win as the issues
statistically occur outside warranty.
So it's auto reflex to "off" stop start as soon as a get in car.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We have an A Class although it's an automatic. When we first bought it the stop/start didn't work at all and we weren't bothered. After it's last service it suddenly decided to work! Have to say find it so annoying and try to remember to turn it off every time I drive, just wish I could find a way to keep it off all the time!

OP
Sarakh9

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
Lol 5% fuel saving in an A class if your lucky over a year just not worth it, especially as it puts extra load on your engine over it's lifetime. If like my wife you put say £20 in your tank a week you might save around £40 a year if you are religious about it, if you end up replacing the battery a year earlier due to the extra load it would cost you more!

Mercedes SL500 R231
Yeh forget it

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
We have an A Class although it's an automatic. When we first bought it the stop/start didn't work at all and we weren't bothered. After it's last service it suddenly decided to work! Have to say find it so annoying and try to remember to turn it off every time I drive, just wish I could find a way to keep it off all the time!

Do a search. I am led to believe a fuse removal solves that.. I just have not got around to that and pressing the button to off it don't stress me. I also believe that if DPF needs regen stop start don't work till that's done so maybe yr service people did that? , someone will correct me if I wrong.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
When I was a learner, my instructor (lovely lady) told me if you are stopped for more than seven seconds put the gearbox in neutral and take your foot off the clutch or you will prematurely wear the thrust bearing. You could actually see her counting and getting the clipboard ready to clout me! She was right though, and it stuck with me. I take every opportunity to pass the message on, but I don’t take a swipe at anybody over it. Those days are gone ;)

OP
Sarakh9

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
When I was a learner, my instructor (lovely lady) told me if you are stopped for more than seven seconds put the gearbox in neutral and take your foot off the clutch or you will prematurely wear the thrust bearing. You could actually see her counting and getting the clipboard ready to clout me! She was right though, and it stuck with me. I take every opportunity to pass the message on, but I don’t take a swipe at anybody over it. Those days are gone ;)
The instructors these days don’t teach that... atleast I was not taught that.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It was over thirty years ago. I think its veeeery different now ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Do you ever sit behind cars at traffic watching them roll back slightly then move forward and repeat until the light changes, riding the clutch the whole uptime.
I dread to think how long their clutch won’t last...:rolleyes:

OP
Sarakh9

Sarakh9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class, 2017. 2.1 A200d
Do you ever sit behind cars at traffic watching them roll back slightly then move forward and repeat until the light changes, riding the clutch the whole uptime.
I dread to think how long their clutch won’t last...:rolleyes:
Oh... yeh that would be me.. :oops:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom