Engine out job!?

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Ant used an air line to change the valve stem seals in the latest Wheeler Dealers. He did it on a Jeep.
Is it me, or is this programme getting more and more annoying? The longer it's been with Discovery the more it's morphing into a shouty, bickery American car show. I now record it, watch the car bits and fast forward the rest.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ant used an air line to change the valve stem seals in the latest Wheeler Dealers. He did it on a Jeep.
Is it me, or is this programme getting more and more annoying? The longer it's been with Discovery the more it's morphing into a shouty, bickery American car show. I now record it, watch the car bits and fast forward the rest.
I stopped watching it when Edd left. Nothing against Ant but that marked the transition from an interesting backdoor production focusing on attainable cars, to ridiculous American cack.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I served my apprenticeship in a VW dealership....when you look back at it, they were incredibly well engineered. Travel on the ice or in the desert, or across fields. And very easy and economical to service. 4 1/2 pints of engine oil, clean the mesh filter, 2 new paper gaskets, tighten the ring of 10 mm bolts, check gearbox oil level, 4 grease nipples on the front axle beams, and two each side on the trailer arms., blow out the brake dust ( asbesto's :eek:. ) with compressed air. Job done !!! And as you said about engine in / out... we could do a clutch replacement ( two of us ) in 45 mins. But it often took a bit longer to fit a clutch cable, especially if it slipped off the hook on the pedal assembly inside the tunnel.:eek:
Anyway, here is a few pics that I recently took at a meeting. Brings back the memories...:)
Note the lever by the pedals for switching to the reserve tank.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Wheeler dealers is crap now seems to be aimed at 12 year olds.
Love car sausage though :geek:

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
There's a fitting that allows you to use compressed air into the bore via the spark plug hole .... never used one though.
Many years ago my Dad had the heads off his Granada, he'd finished the job & then saw the row of valve stem seal still sitting on a shelf. I used string/cord fed into the bore via the spark plug hole & then wound the piston up by hand so that the string supported the valve. I made a tool to compress the valve spring while we removed the collets. It worked very well. :):)

In the dim and distant past I found I had a broken valve spring on a V6 Granada (I said it was long ago) so got an adapter made with an old spark plug and Schrader valve to pressure the cylinder. While getting set up I dropped it on our stone chipping covered drive and it totally disappeared never to be seen again. I managed to do the job with a junior hacksaw frame to hold the valve up and two spanners on a convenient stud to compress the spring; but I digress!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
That’s a pre 1958 version with the small back window. Weren’t they cable brakes all around? I had two a 1960 1200cc & a 1966 1300cc, both great cars. Did all my own servicing, & I did change a clutch cable once. Great pictures thanks for sharing.

As far as I know, the change from cable to Hydraulic brakes happened in 1951/2 ( open to correction though) Next time I meet him, I'll check it out, and yes it had the split rear window. There was only one brake light on this VW, directly over the rear Nr plate, and the interior is 100% original. I remember an Aunt of mine had a 1950's beetle, also with the split rear window, but the other details are a bit hazy now. But it's in pristine condition, as the pics show.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Note the lever by the pedals for switching to the reserve tank.
Yes, and surprisingly enough, it worked quite well, The engine would start to "Hiccup" a bit and that was the signal to flip the switch with your foot, and provided you had not left it too late, within a few seconds, normal service would be resumed...:geek:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, @Jim2 that Beetle is beautiful.

It honestly seems like something that you might see in a Vogue magazine about some modern take on an old Beetle and tweaked etc for the quintessential lady. Kind of like Urban/Overfinch/Kahn.

This is in its original pristine condition, as it rolled off the production line. That was one of the things I asked him, had he altered the interior in any way, and he was very empathic about it being original in every way. But it was different from the very first beetles produced, which by comparison, were very spartan. They wanted to increase sales and compete with other marques, so it was "upgraded" to the standard you see in the pics,,would be about 1950's I'd say. Definitely a lovely car though.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I too learnt the trade at Audi/VW '79 -84. Never owned a VW, well don't think I did?? Had An Audi 80 :D Loved the Audi 200T, very impressive :cool:

Yes they sure were lovely cars..all of them, 80's, 100's, 200's etc. Before I changed over to MB, I had an Audi A Sport, and would not have any objection to having another one either.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Yes they sure were lovely cars..all of them, 80's, 100's, 200's etc. Before I changed over to MB, I had an Audi A Sport, and would not have any objection to having another one either.

I got to drive the Audi Quattro short wheel base version, when it was at work. Then one of the other workers got in it and tried his best to wheel spin it, it kept leaping off the line like a rabbit. Awesome bit of kit, I'm sure that was 1981?
We did BMW cars too in the panelshop.
While working there I got to drive a Mercedes and that's how I got into the marque, I had Yanks, Triumphs, BMW and Damlier's before that. This Mercedes 450SEL was something else, I had to have one. When I eventually bought the 450, it never preformed how I remembered this brown one went, until it came back into the workshop again.......had 6.9 on the boot lid, I'd bought the poverty model 4.5litre :rolleyes:
I tentatively look at the Audi's and think. My childhood days are over :(

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom