Motorised reversing camera colossal cost

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d estate premium plus 2015
Hi, I am new to this but wonder if I can start a topic for discussion. The reversing camera on my 15 plate has just failed for the second time. Now I know running and maintaining a luxury car is expensive and I’m in for that but isn’t this just taking the mickey. Or in my ignorance is there something I’m unaware of that makes it totally justifiable for Mercedes to charge £498.98 for a part which only lasts a couple of years?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi, I am new to this but wonder if I can start a topic for discussion. The reversing camera on my 15 plate has just failed for the second time. Now I know running and maintaining a luxury car is expensive and I’m in for that but isn’t this just taking the mickey. Or in my ignorance is there something I’m unaware of that makes it totally justifiable for Mercedes to charge £498.98 for a part which only lasts a couple of years?

I'm sure MB's response would be that you're reversing too much:). I'd be taking it back and asking for a free replacement, but before installing a new one, check if there's not some other reason why 2 have failed in 5 years. Can't solely be down to poor cameras, surely?

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank, you Peter. Well, I only bought it 6 weeks ago. Talked to the previous owner who told me about the first failure but the reason is unknown. The latest problem is down to the canbus cable becoming detached from within the camera. Still under 3 month RAC warranty and had a devil of a job getting them to accept claim but got there in the end. So they cover £500 but that will still leave me with £150 fitting Bill+ £80 original diagnostics.☹️ I still don’t get what makes this camera so expensive. (Would have been quite happy with a fixed camera for about 1/50th of the price!!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Could have been worse I suppose, but annoying nonetheless. What's the motorised bit all about? Does it fold away or something?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could have been worse I suppose, but annoying nonetheless. What's the motorised bit all about? Does it fold away or something?
They do to keep them clean

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Expensive? Nah - try Kia.
I priced a Kia replacement reversing camera a short while ago. £660 from the local dealer.
I told the parts guy how shocked I was, and said that they're only around £20 on Ebay.
He replied, 'You've got your answer then, haven't you.'

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, I was wondering. Thank you Eddie

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, it folds away. Unnecessary sophistication imho. As for getting cheap ebay substitutes not possible for this Merc component. Only cheaper option seems to be second hand

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I noticed a fold away camera on a drop head Merc recently ..... it's hidden behind the boot badge. VW do the same on some of their cars ... also behind the badge

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If you talking to the previous owner and the replacement is less than 2yrs ago, will he give you a receipt and you can get it done under parts warranty.

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Star

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Out of interest: image shows canbus cable separated from within the camera itself. Irreparable. Hope this doesn’t happen to you! Cost £730 . Insanity.

4E0AD716-3779-40CC-A8AA-9BC8A0ABA951.jpeg

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
They do to keep them clean

I'm happy with my low tech (incorporated in the numberplate light fitting) - give it a wipe with a damp cloth on the rare times it needs it. Sometimes they seem to add technology for the sake of it.

I recall an incident when I worked for SAB Miller building breweries. Our engineers had specified temperature monitors that could measure the temperature of the fermenting beer to 1/100s of a degree every half second or so. Chatted to the brewmaster and his attitude was that in the old days he'd stick his finger in the brew a couple of times a day and could tell if the temperature was ok. Asked the engineers why.... "it is the latest technology" was the answer. I was responsible for monitoring budgets, these things were 10x the price of the units we normally used. We went back to the old type.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm happy with my low tech (incorporated in the numberplate light fitting) - give it a wipe with a damp cloth on the rare times it needs it. Sometimes they seem to add technology for the sake of it.

I recall an incident when I worked for SAB Miller building breweries. Our engineers had specified temperature monitors that could measure the temperature of the fermenting beer to 1/100s of a degree every half second or so. Chatted to the brewmaster and his attitude was that in the old days he'd stick his finger in the brew a couple of times a day and could tell if the temperature was ok. Asked the engineers why.... "it is the latest technology" was the answer. I was responsible for monitoring budgets, these things were 10x the price of the units we normally used. We went back to the old type.
On my VW Caravelle I fitted a reversing camera inside the rear window in the swept area of the wiper so no issues with a dirty lens :cool:
My W213 had the 360’ cameras and the rear one would retract back in besides the boot release handle.
I would switch the cameras on in the car wash so the lens got a wash ;). I could also check if they’d missed any bits on the pre-wash :cool:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

funny, consumer law states if the fault is due to a manufacturing fault its their problem for 6 years...

two failures in 5 years of a 500 quid item doesn't fit with that first sentence. I suggest you ask someone who understands consumer law to get your original repair costs back and another one fitted for free

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
funny, consumer law states if the fault is due to a manufacturing fault its their problem for 6 years...

two failures in 5 years of a 500 quid item doesn't fit with that first sentence. I suggest you ask someone who understands consumer law to get your original repair costs back and another one fitted for free

That, unfortunately, is not as clear cut as you quote.

Judge Google does give a rather blinkered view of the Law.

OP
N

Newconvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Frontsep. 2 wise and helpful posts

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom