Buying new Merc before Brexit

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
How will you buy something that won't be supplied?

I'd like to see that legislation that says after the 31st December a vehicle supplied for a non EU ie third country has to be supplied within the EU for a non EU citizen.

Seek and ye shall find. I don't provide secretarial services.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Seek and ye shall find. I don't provide secretarial services.
I'll save you secretarial expenses, it doesn't exist and can't because of "roll on brexit".
Perhaps just another exit dividend?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll save you secretarial expenses, it doesn't exist and can't because of "roll on brexit".
Perhaps just another exit dividend?
Well it's an opinion, it's very wrong but an opinion nonetheless.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I'm not sure I get this. We're in the EU now and can get a car from any country and by EU law they sell it to us at the same price as they do to their local market at the same price.

After "roll on brexit" we lose this automatic protection. We may theoretically end up with it as part of a trade deal (though frankly this is one of the last things anyone will be caring about in any last minute deal) but if we leave with no deal then there will be no obligation to be competitive. Of course they may decide to sell anyway to UK consumers but there is no guarantee anymore and no possible win here regardless of what went on pre 73.

As for the UK dealer price it will go up if tariffs are introduced though tariffs will be less than the 10 percent it has already gone up by due to the pound losing the value after the referendum. There won't be any attempt to recreate a treasure island, I think car companies will be happy if supply chains still work - it only takes one risk averse company to not have export paperwork or even a vat registration that previously wasn't required on January 1st and lines could be stopped as they won't risk/be able to send it on.

There maybe other reasons to "roll on brexit" but availability and price of goods produced in the EU (or made in the UK but with parts sourced from the EU) is definitely not one of them, even less so short to medium term.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Time will tell, hypothetically any argument is a winner, supposition and crystal ball predictions I don't get involved in, we are supposed to be playing on a level playing field now and should have been for quite some time but UK customers have always been able to buy cheaper cars from mainly Holland and more recently Finland and Denmark so here we are in 2020 still buying cars in the EU and importing them into the UK because they're cheaper, it's still happening today evidenced by the number of companies in the host countries still advertising their services.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Time will tell, hypothetically any argument is a winner, supposition and crystal ball predictions I don't get involved in, we are supposed to be playing on a level playing field now and should have been for quite some time but UK customers have always been able to buy cheaper cars from mainly Holland and more recently Finland and Denmark so here we are in 2020 still buying cars in the EU and importing them into the UK because they're cheaper, it's still happening today evidenced by the number of companies in the host countries still advertising their services.
The different rates of local taxes is what "allowed" you to buy a car anywhere in the EU and import it to your country of residence where the tax rate may have been low enough to make it worth while. The manufacturer varied their price so as the total was about the same in all EU countries although the specification may have differed.
Now being out of the EU, SM, CU you won't have that ability come the 31st December, and at the moment there is also a minor detail of how you will pay for it. Thinking otherwise is cakeism with a very big cherry on top.
Over the years I imported cars from Belgium, Netherlands and Republic of Ireland all at varying rates and ease of import. Lately I imported UK cars to France all very easy but that will end.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The different rates of local taxes is what "allowed" you to buy a car anywhere in the EU and import it to your country of residence where the tax rate may have been low enough to make it worth while. The manufacturer varied their price so as the total was about the same in all EU countries although the specification may have differed.
Now being out of the EU, SM, CU you won't have that ability come the 31st December, and at the moment there is also a minor detail of how you will pay for it. Thinking otherwise is cakeism with a very big cherry on top.
Over the years I imported cars from Belgium, Netherlands and Republic of Ireland all at varying rates and ease of import. Lately I imported UK cars to France all very easy but that will end.
It's already been clearly stated that because of the differing tax rates across the EU and Finland dealers are more competitive with their pricing so it isn't JUST the difference in tax rates, if it were there would be no advantage to importing to the UK, we can all have opinions on what may happen on Jan 01st and that's all it is, an opinion, my opinions are based on historical fact and the amount of trade that went on buying cars from Holland before we were part of the EU, which we are soon to be again! The last time I sailed between Scandinavia and Teesside wasn't that long ago and the deck set aside for passenger transport was likened to a car showroom full of new imports, mainly high end vehicles, as I said in my last post, time will tell what will happen after Jan 01st but one thing for sure, death and taxes will never change!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
It's already been clearly stated that because of the differing tax rates across the EU and Finland dealers are more competitive with their pricing so it isn't JUST the difference in tax rates, if it were there would be no advantage to importing to the UK, we can all have opinions on what may happen on Jan 01st and that's all it is, an opinion, my opinions are based on historical fact and the amount of trade that went on buying cars from Holland before we were part of the EU, which we are soon to be again! The last time I sailed between Scandinavia and Teesside wasn't that long ago and the deck set aside for passenger transport was likened to a car showroom full of new imports, mainly high end vehicles, as I said in my last post, time will tell what will happen after Jan 01st but one thing for sure, death and taxes will never change!
It isn't the Finland dealers who are more competitive it's the price the manufacturers charge them for cars to keep a basic price balance through the EU.
Basing your thinking on anecdotal survey of cars seen on a ferry whilst at the moment there is no paperwork or guidance from the UK government on how this may continue is really grasping at straws.
It also says something when the OP points out that even a main dealer won't quote a price for delivery!

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It isn't the Finland dealers who are more competitive it's the price the manufacturers charge them for cars to keep a basic price balance through the EU.
Basing your thinking on anecdotal survey of cars seen on a ferry whilst at the moment there is no paperwork or guidance from the UK government on how this may continue is really grasping at straws.
Then I guess it's your opinion, we're both playing the same game and time will tell who's right.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom