Its official, trackers and physical theft deterrents are useless.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Not specifically MB but interesting none the less........My LV renewal is due soon on my Audi S5 and my insurer LV have written to me in advance to warn my that my premium will be increasing due to an increase in S5 thefts over the last 5 years! If they deem it necessary to warn me then I guess the increase is going to hurt. LV have also stated that I will not get a discount for installing a tracker or any form of physical theft deterrent such as a steering lock as these devices are easily defeated and have no effect.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
snap off steering wheel it is then pal ;) , honestly though it is ridiculous how easy cars still are to steal and Audi S models are pretty much the new sierra cosworth of the car crime tree

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
Not specifically MB but interesting none the less........My LV renewal is due soon on my Audi S5 and my insurer LV have written to me in advance to warn my that my premium will be increasing due to an increase in S5 thefts over the last 5 years! If they deem it necessary to warn me then I guess the increase is going to hurt. LV have also stated that I will not get a discount for installing a tracker or any form of physical theft deterrent such as a steering lock as these devices are easily defeated and have no effect.

Isnt autowatch ghost an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What surprised me is that my S5 is 6 years old, who steals a 6 year old car when there are so many newer ones about! I would have thought that insurers would take into account the cars age.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What surprised me is that my S5 is 6 years old, who steals a 6 year old car when there are so many newer ones about! I would have thought that insurers would take into account the cars age.
They do, as they become older they’re easier to steal as the scrotes have worked out how to do it...

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
They do, as they become older they’re easier to steal as the scrotes have worked out how to do it...
Its not got keyless entry or go so I bet its way harder to steal than modern cars ;)

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Older cars are easier to offload in overseas countries, especially Africa, either as a complete unit of as spares!

But a slight slant on your post - I wonder how much you would be paid out in the event of your car being stolen and never retrieved? Now work out how much you have paid in premiums over the last 6 years..... What's the difference?

In most instances you will have paid in far more than you will get paid out - not always, but mostly.

Insurance companies are not poor - anything but! Legal Theft!

And I wonder how much goes into the government coffers as a "thank-you" for insuring, (pun not intended) that all car must be insured...!

Did you know in New Zealand it's optional?

Last edited:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Working on the theory that there are thieves everywhere, currently working on a defeat for every commercially available anti-theft device/system ever developed with a belief that if man created it then man is also capable of working around it! and it's all just a cat-and-mouse industry funded by the end users. In addition to the usual/required factory options, Inventing your own bespoke design to inhibit an engine start and installing a switch/pneumatic valve in a secret location within easy reach of the driver's seat is an attractive option for me. Yes with a few tools test equipment and time it's not infallible but it would need a hiab crane on a flatbed to steal it away in the night. :)

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I remember a story doing the rounds in Harare, (that's in Zimbabwe - Africa) this one chap got sick and tired of getting his car stolen - I think the number was 3 in as many months - so he came up "with a plan", (another thing we had to be good at).
Anyway, I digress.

He decided to get a half bottle of Brandy, have a few out of it and then refill it with poison, Rat Killer - Arsenic maybe, and leave it in the cubbyhole. (Get the picture).

Anyway, as sure as Jannies a couple of nights later in the morning it was gone. The car was soon found a few K's away parked on the side of the road. The car was still in good condition. The same couldn't be said about the 2 thieves...lol. :D

Apparently he did get originally charged but at court it was found that the deaths were "self-inflicted"! Case dismissed!

Allegedly the Judge had lost a few cars to thieves himself. ;)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I remember a story doing the rounds in Harare, (that's in Zimbabwe - Africa) this one chap got sick and tired of getting his car stolen - I think the number was 3 in as many months - so he came up "with a plan", (another thing we had to be good at).
Anyway, I digress.

He decided to get a half bottle of Brandy, have a few out of it and then refill it with poison, Rat Killer - Arsenic maybe, and leave it in the cubbyhole. (Get the picture).

Anyway, as sure as Jannies a couple of nights later in the morning it was gone. The car was soon found a few K's away parked on the side of the road. The car was still in good condition. The same couldn't be said about the 2 thieves...lol. :D

Apparently he did get originally charged but at court it was found that the deaths were "self-inflicted"! Case dismissed!

Allegedly the Judge had lost a few cars to thieves himself. ;)
This is my kind of car anti-theft device, :D

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Although legal in South Africa, the guy that invented it only sold a few hundred before taking it off the market as thieves would just shoot you through the window and take your car without the risk of getting their eyebrows singed.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Working on the theory that there are thieves everywhere, currently working on a defeat for every commercially available anti-theft device/system ever developed with a belief that if man created it then man is also capable of working around it! and it's all just a cat-and-mouse industry funded by the end users. In addition to the usual/required factory options, Inventing your own bespoke design to inhibit an engine start and installing a switch/pneumatic valve in a secret location within easy reach of the driver's seat is an attractive option for me. Yes with a few tools test equipment and time it's not infallible but it would need a hiab crane on a flatbed to steal it away in the night. :)

Aka Autowatch Ghost.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Isnt autowatch ghost an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they cannot get a Thatcham rating for it (works differently to trackers and other anti-theft devices) , insurance companies aren't interested.

I believe that like the car flame thrower:shock:, it is also a SA invention.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom