SLK200 owner

Guy SLK200

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK200 2001
I bought an SLK200 2001 (post facelift) 7 months ago. It's silver with black leather, auto. The bodywork was good except for some rust where front bumper meets the wings. I treated this and gave the car a full service, new rear brake pads, axle oil and auto gear oil, plus new tyres after refurbishing the wheels, which were corroded in patches. I live in Stamford and would be interested in meetings around the East Midlands area

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Guy and welcome to the forum :)

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Hi and welcome. These R170 models are much underrated in my view. With the exception of a tenancy to rust, they are really great cars and give lots of fun for little money. I also have a year 2001 one, a 230k in Obsidian black with mushroom / black leather and it's pretty much mint. Had it 4 years and it's teriffic fun in the summer and l love it to bits.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Hello there.

Nice little cars! I used to have the 230 version in Silver. And yes, Rust is an issue.
My only other bugbear was that the way I like to have the Backrest reclined I found that the Seat never had enough rearward movement, so it was always a compromise....
But a good idea is to lube the Rubbers on the Vario Roof, and all other Rubbers for that matter like Doors and Boot with this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextzett...ubber-Stick-Door-Restorer-100ml-/163760617531

It helps with sealing and stopping squeaks.

I found it to be excellent and goes a long way! I'm still using the same bottle now on my present car!

There are other brands very similar but can cost 5 or 6 times as much! (And less in the bottle!).

Enjoy.... :)

Here's a Video, a Beemer, but you get the idea. On the SLK you an stop the Roof halfway, I set mine just slightly forward of halfway and used a length of wood to stop it falling forward in case it closed - (can lose pressure over time and can't hold the Roof in place) - between the Screen and front of the Roof. It's a safety precaution more than anything else.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom