Side light

KenofScotland

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 2016
H.. I'm new to the forum and, sadly,not a happy bunny. I've always enjoyed my mercs in the past (300TEs) and now have an E220 estate with a "simple" problem. Front offside side light has stopped working. It's not the led that has failed because it lights up at night when I unlock the car. When I start the engine, however, it goes out. Must be a "simple" bad connection...right? It seems that to find out the car has to be plugged in at the dealer's workshop (£99 just to get started!) This should then show if it's the control unit that's at fault and needs to be replaced (£400 and the least expensive option) or the actual headlight which needs to be replaced (£1300). End of the story....£500 plus 2 hours labour minimum or £1400 plus labour to get a sidelight working! This does not show up Mercedes in a very good light (excuse the pun) and has me now waiting for the nearside to follow the same breakdown. I think my love affair with Mercedes is coming to a sad end.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
H.. I'm new to the forum and, sadly,not a happy bunny. I've always enjoyed my mercs in the past (300TEs) and now have an E220 estate with a "simple" problem. Front offside side light has stopped working. It's not the led that has failed because it lights up at night when I unlock the car. When I start the engine, however, it goes out. Must be a "simple" bad connection...right? It seems that to find out the car has to be plugged in at the dealer's workshop (£99 just to get started!) This should then show if it's the control unit that's at fault and needs to be replaced (£400 and the least expensive option) or the actual headlight which needs to be replaced (£1300). End of the story....£500 plus 2 hours labour minimum or £1400 plus labour to get a sidelight working! This does not show up Mercedes in a very good light (excuse the pun) and has me now waiting for the nearside to follow the same breakdown. I think my love affair with Mercedes is coming to a sad end.
Hello and welcome

Before you jump ship other manufacturers have the same issues... £1,100 for a VW Polo headlight...
I’d find a decent indie and see what they can diagnose

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Rather an expensive way about getting it fixed via a dealer. As mentioned above. Get hold of a merc indy near you. If you want merc to diagnose then so be it. But surely you could source the parts of ebay and have any garage replace.

Using a dealer for these issues is where merc garages are rubbing their hands and yoi chose to go there. So saying its not a good light for then is questionable as they are providing their rates for the job.

As mentioned many cheaper options to get the lights put right.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom