Seatbelt sluggish!

Biggles1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 A Class CVT A180 2006 Elegance
My seatbelt (W169, 2006) is being a pain. Have to feed it back in because it doesn't always retract properly. Can they be cleaned/lubricated or does it need to be replaced? I wonder if a new one would need 'coding' to the car because they're part of the SRS system? I've just had to have a new SRS brain because that decided to go AWOL but the scan showed all the peripherals to be fine, so it's a mechanical issue with the belt I'm sure.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
That problem affects many MX5's. I have one, and I've completely cured a non-returning seat belt as follows:

First, pull the belt out to its maximum and clip it so that it doesn't return. Thoroughly clean both sides of the belt (I used a bucket on the seat, soapy water and a nail brush). Leave it to dry (hope you don't need the car for a day!), then spray silicon on both sides and let it retract.
It should then slide easily both in and out.

I got that method from an MX5 forum, and it's a bit fiddly but it works well.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
there's a BIG clock spring inside & they get weak over time ...... Can't help re coding :confused:

I can tell you that the spring from a Cortina's seat belt more than fills the rear foot well when it escapes! o_O:D:D

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
there's a BIG clock spring inside & they get weak over time ...... Can't help re coding :confused:

I can tell you that the spring from a Cortina's seat belt more than fills the rear foot well when it escapes! o_O:D:D

Is there a video of you rewinding it?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

I find that if you unbolt the seat belt retracting mechanism from a Land Rover and slip it into the pockets on the back of the seats it keeps the mud out of the mechanism and still passes an MOT...:eek::p

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slightly off-thread, but ...
I recently bought three folding electric bikes.
One had a rear light that would not work, so I complained (the lights are built in to the bike).
I was asked for photos of the faulty light. So I sent several photos of a non-working light! How informative are they?
Then I was asked for a video showing the faulty light not working. How do you video a light that doesn't work?
I refused, telling the makers that as it doesn't come on, of what use would a video be?
They then replied that unless i sent a video they could not replace the non-working light!
Ongoing.
The world has gone video-mad.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
One had a rear light that would not work, so I complained (the lights are built in to the bike).
I was asked for photos of the faulty light. So I sent several photos of a non-working light! How informative are they?
Then I was asked for a video showing the faulty light not working. How do you video a light that doesn't work?
I refused, telling the makers that as it doesn't come on, of what use would a video be?
They then replied that unless i sent a video they could not replace the non-working light!
Ongoing.

you couldn't make it up! :D:D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ongoing.
Film it with your finger over the lens - send them a completely black video... light not working...:rolleyes:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom