jack or no jack that is the question lol

kiltedscotsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class e220 d
hello all i have a e class e220d its a 16 plate had it one year, im going to take wheels off to get a good look at pads now when i went into boot lifted lid all that was there was a compressor and a tyre fix kit no jack or brace

my question is should there be jack and brace there and theres room for a spare wheel ?

any one help before i make a fool of myself at mercedes thanks andy

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
No jack, no spare, reduces weight to improve emissions and fuel economy.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
There is a jack & wheel brace in my wife's SLC 16 plate.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
If anyones got a jock laid about im after 1 .

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
If anyones got a jock laid about im after 1 .
The OP and I could definitely be labelled as such. :D

I do not like the trend by car manufacturers for not fitting spare wheels. Yes I realise why they do it(or say they do it), but surely a space saver and a folding jack can not make any appreciable difference.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Even a space saver and jack are not necessarily helpful - the jack supplied with both my S204 and R171 SLK are questionably safe at best, the emergency spare and compressor in the SLK - which I had to use - took forever to inflate the space saver spare to 40psi, did not look right as one side of the tyre had not "popped out" against the rim, OK it got us the roughly 7 miles home but within 2 hours of getting home it was flat as a pancake! OK, the spare on the s204 worked far better, but that's not a space saver so we were able to drive quite a distance (at no more than 50mph!). As for the jacks - hard work to use, and only suitable on decent ground for changing a wheel, anything else get a trolley jack (with a jack pad shaped to fit the jacking point) and axle stands!!

Reactions: DSK

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Surely though a space saver is preferable to filling your tyre with sealant that may or may not work....then the problems with having it cleaned out when it has worked?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely though a space saver is preferable to filling your tyre with sealant that may or may not work....then the problems with having it cleaned out when it has worked?

You don't clean it out , your meant to fit a new tyre. :)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OP and I could definitely be labelled as such. :D

I do not like the trend by car manufacturers for not fitting spare wheels. Yes I realise why they do it(or say they do it), but surely a space saver and a folding jack can not make any appreciable difference.

Its a price issue, think of mercedes buying in 100,000 spare wheels ,tyres,jock, wheel brace . When they can offer a tin of sealant and a pump.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
No jack, no spare, reduces weight to improve emissions and fuel economy.

!!!,add 1bag of groceries back to square one.its about a doller off build and more profit .lets make em all 2seater only.even more fuel efficient!! Put the f jack back. We dont all call the aa if we get a flat.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Its got to be costs of build as mentioned. More fuel can be saved if people just drove sensibly rather than removing a spare and a jack.

Early this year, in one of my cars, turning onto the street onto which I park on for work, I heard a pop as I turned. As I parked up within seconds, I heard hissing as I got out the car. I'd obviously gone over not a bottle of pop littered on the road but, something more sinister as the tyre just totally died infront of my eyes.

Called out the RAC who whipped on my spare space saver wheel and said, good job you have that as no patch up kit would work in this instance. (I pay almost £200 a year for it, so I'll use it! Besides I was parked on someone's drive and left them with the keys). Anyway this allowed me to drive back up north to our garage to get a new tyre rather, than having to be towed to the closest tyre shop.

I also carry both an air compressor, sealant bottle for the sake of it what a can costs, whatever spare wheel is supplied with the vehicle and a trolley jack. You never know what will happen and where. I'd always use a sealant can as a last resort and probably only on a tyre should anything minor happen to it when its near due for a change and just change the pair a few weeks earlier than planned. Otherwise, using sealant on a tyre in good condition that can be repaired, would mean having to replace that with a new one.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
!!!,add 1bag of groceries back to square one.its about a doller off build and more profit .lets make em all 2seater only.even more fuel efficient!! Put the f jack back. We dont all call the aa if we get a flat.
It's irrelevant what the driver does once they have the car - same with wheels and tyres - the manufacturer has to get the car certified and drivers want low VED and better fuel economy. If Mercedes load the car up with extra weight they won't be able to compete against others who don't and their cars will not perform as well in the tests and so not sell.
I don't blame the manufacturers at all they're following the governments ecomentalist rules and providing what consumers think they want.
After you get the car feel free to put on larger wheels and tyres and fill the boot with a jack and spare wheel. The tests have already been done so away you go it's your car.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Does not surprise me.but I would be interested to look at those regulations .I take it?given the weight ,that Duracell cars dont have spare wheels either.? So the plan I guess it in the
Event of blow out one reaches for ones phone and involve another person.in the food chain.? I wont be buying another post euro 4 car so thats just another thing I wont need to worry about..if hydrogen crops up as I sure it will in reasonable price ranges.I may ,if still vertical review the matter.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Runflat tyres were supposed to be the Holy Grail when it comes to not equipping cars with a jack and spare wheel but as we all know they are expensive and uncomfortable tyres to run on and therefore very unpopular, so we are where we are with a tin of gloop and a compressor. The only car I’ve experienced that runs well with runflats is the W213, MB have done a wonderful job with the suspension on that car.

BMW must have lost so many sales based on the fact that they are adamant that runflats are fitted across their range (except M cars of course) I changed mine on the 435i as soon as I could and it transformed the ride the runflats were so hard they had little to no compliance with our third world roads

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
….Duracell cars ... I wont be buying another post euro 4 car so thats just another thing I wont need to worry about..

Duracell cars.. :D:D:D:D never heard them called that, brilliant!

Not a fan myself either of all the legislation crap coupled with manufacturers trying to build everything as cheaply as possible.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The vast majority of police traffic cars don't have a spare wheel. Its removed so the space can be used to fit all the electronic control gear fitted to a police vehicle.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The vast majority of police traffic cars don't have a spare wheel. Its removed so the space can be used to fit all the electronic control gear fitted to a police vehicle.

That's understandable they all carry fully loaded boots with equipment, cones, first aid, clothing etc etc. No doubt if they get a puncture, they'd just get their own recovery or a panda car to bring the stuff they need. They will be better served compared to joe public.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom