jack or no jack that is the question lol

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
hello all i have a e class e220d its a 16 plate had it one year, im going to take wheels off to get a good look at pads now when i went into boot lifted lid all that was there was a compressor and a tyre fix kit no jack or brace

my question is should there be jack and brace there and theres room for a spare wheel ?

any one help before i make a fool of myself at mercedes thanks andy
No Jack. No spare wheel. No spare wheel WELL- the Adblue tank lives there now.

There’s a tub of goo and an air compressor instead to do 85% of the same job. Just don’t rip the tyre off the wheel!

By the way. Spare wheel isn’t included as standard for emissions purposes- they just define the emissions standard as without it anyway (Ford famously removed the rear seats from the Fiesta for this). It’s straight cost; a wheel, wheelbrace and Jack cost around £40 at the plant. Not including them is a big saving.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The vast majority of police traffic cars don't have a spare wheel. Its removed so the space can be used to fit all the electronic control gear fitted to a police vehicle.
I used to wonder why the radio's kept getting sand in them... thought they were all swanning off down the beach... Then I realised the cones sat on top of them had sand in them for weight. :cool:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The vast majority of police traffic cars don't have a spare wheel. Its removed so the space can be used to fit all the electronic control gear fitted to a police vehicle.

They have radio's,rarely go anywhere alone,and lots of mates sittin about in laybys. I dont.I want a spare and the kit to change it.

Reactions: DSK

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
No Jack. No spare wheel. No spare wheel WELL- the Adblue tank lives there now.

There’s a tub of goo and an air compressor instead to do 85% of the same job. Just don’t rip the tyre off the wheel!

By the way. Spare wheel isn’t included as standard for emissions purposes- they just define the emissions standard as without it anyway (Ford famously removed the rear seats from the Fiesta for this). It’s straight cost; a wheel, wheelbrace and Jack cost around £40 at the plant. Not including them is a big saving.
As suspected, soon we will be back at start handles to save cost,weight of starter....

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
it's ironic really as cars have got heavier & heavier over the years cos we all want & like electric seats windows roofs etc, more crash protection. Golfs are a good example. Next time you see a MKI Golf, note how small it is .... and it weighs not much different from my 'little' Smart.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
it's ironic really as cars have got heavier & heavier over the years cos we want all like electric seats windows roofs etc, more crash protection. Golfs are a good example. Next time you see a MKI Golf, note how small it is .... and it weighs not much different from my 'little' Smart.
And how much usable glass in 80's cars compared to today... rear 3/4 vision on most modern SUV's is atrocious at best... plenty of glass but blacked out as it's covering steel-work.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
Runflat tyres were supposed to be the Holy Grail when it comes to not equipping cars with a jack and spare wheel but as we all know they are expensive and uncomfortable tyres to run on and therefore very unpopular, so we are where we are with a tin of gloop and a compressor.
I've read a bunch about self sealing tires which are offered by Continental, Perelli, Hankook and a few others. They seem a much better option to me IF you don't have a jack and spare.

Unfortunately for me they are not sold in North America.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
They have radio's,rarely go anywhere alone,and lots of mates sittin about in laybys. I dont.I want a spare and the kit to change it.
Did all my service single crewed but I did retire 20 years ago. Thinking about it I don't think & ever had to change a tyre on a police vehicle.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most never do.most today dont know how !!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
As suspected, soon we will be back at start handles to save cost,weight of starter....
You mean the combined starter- alternator? ;) yep that’s already been done over!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it's ironic really as cars have got heavier & heavier over the years cos we all want & like electric seats windows roofs etc, more crash protection. Golfs are a good example. Next time you see a MKI Golf, note how small it is .... and it weighs not much different from my 'little' Smart.
It’s the electrics and increased crash performance that does it. Typical front seat now will come out at around 80kg. Then there’s the added metal all over the car for the energy absorption & dissipation system.

Then we get sunroof or pano roof- a pano roof is 3x the weight of a solid roof.

Don’t forget the HVAC system, emphasis on the AC bit of it. Oops, nearly forgot the Adblue system, double whammy because not only is there a mass penalty to have the injectors and manifold arrangement, there’s also a tank with 15- 20 litres of pig pi55 sloshing around in it...

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Has anyone ever cleaned out the gunk/tyre seal, Is it a hard job to do or is it the tyre fitters just being lazy?

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
Has anyone ever cleaned out the gunk/tyre seal, Is it a hard job to do or is it the tyre fitters just being lazy?
I've not used the Mercedes goop, but I did used a full can of tire sealant a couple of years ago when I picked up a nail. The tire repair place just cleaned out the tire and repaired it.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I've read a bunch about self sealing tires which are offered by Continental, Perelli, Hankook and a few others. They seem a much better option to me IF you don't have a jack and spare.

Unfortunately for me they are not sold in North America.
You can do exactly the same yourself as I do.

Put in a pre-puncture sealant (similar but not the same as the goop you put in after the puncture).

Used for years, picked up many nails and assorted debris bit never actually had a deflation.... it just seals the tyre before the air gets out.

I’ve used this, but plenty of others about https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magik-Seal-car-bicycle-tyre-sealant-4oz-x-4-/284047771741

I swear by it, wouldn’t have a car without it. My company car doesn’t have it, and I’ve had 3 punctures in 3 years - but they won’t let me put it in! My own cars, it’s first thing I fit.

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
The stuff that gets pumped into the tyres will burn your skin and face if you get it splashed onto you. If you have the correct ppe then you can clean them out and fix but it's the risk and cost factors involved why they don't clean them out. I work in a large tyre company and we won't repair them because of this and you still need to be very careful taking the tyre off. They absolutely stink of amonia and it's really nasty stuff that's in that little can of magical stuff.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
I work in a large tyre company and we won't repair them because of this and you still need to be very careful taking the tyre off.
Interesting. When I used it I told the repair shop I had and they said no big deal, they'd just clean out the tire. Didn't charge any extra for the repair.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Nah - it's water washable and not that hard or dangerous to do - just some companies can't be bothered and would rather sell a new tyre.

If you use the pre-puncture (rather than after the event stuff) then you never wash it out, because it stays there forever. Never had a problem with it - just get a nail in tyre - ignore it, carry on!

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
So are we saying here that say a can of Holts tyre weld or the like would be better to use than the stuff that comes with the car. I have both as it turns out just to be on the safe side.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom