We've Been Cloned - and now fines are stacking up.....

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
As the number plate/mot/insurance are in order for the genuine OP car then I don't think that stolen or cloned plate is an option for ANPR. I may be wrong on that though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
But once the details have been entered into the Police data base, should it not automatically red flag the car at any police checkpoint / routine meeting on the roads etc. ?
It should, it depends upon the focus of the force though... not many traffic police around anymore and no one else is interested unfortunately.
Do a check on a few cars around your area and you’ll no doubt find some with no MOT, VED or Insurance.
I highlighted on the forum a Honda CRV parked on the street with wing damage “repaired” by wrapping paper... it has no MOT, Insurance or VED and yet it’s still on the road and has been for many many months...

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
It should, but the thieves are also aware so use more than one false plate often changing them many times.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
In which case they will either have the manufacturers name or usually blank. So the OP just needs to have genuine plates with manufacturers name. Which is way more difficult to clone and will serve as the differentiator?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
As the number plate/mot/insurance are in order for the genuine OP car then I don't think that stolen or cloned plate is an option for ANPR. I may be wrong on that though.

They place a police interest marker on PNC in this case this registration mark has been cloned. That should get the car stopped real one or cloned, & checks carried out to establish which car they have stopped.
Also any force receiving a drive off report on checking PNC will know this is almost certainly the cloned car.

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
They place a police interest marker on PNC in this case this registration mark has been cloned. That should get the car stopped real one or cloned, & checks carried out to establish which car they have stopped.
Also any force receiving a drive off report on checking PNC will know this is almost certainly the cloned car.
Just adding to thread always scew number plates on .I live in Sussex and one of my customers had her plates taken off her car whilst shopping in Tescos they were stuck on . The plates were put on car that was used in robbery and police turned upon her doorstep .She is in late 70s and saw funny side of it in the end .Few weeks later came out from work to find my stuck on plates on my Subaru missing . Phoned police but no interest at all. Made new plates at work and screwed them on now .Never heared anything from police at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Just adding to thread always scew number plates on .I live in Sussex and one of my customers had her plates taken off her car whilst shopping in Tescos they were stuck on . The plates were put on car that was used in robbery and police turned upon her doorstep .She is in late 70s and saw funny side of it in the end .Few weeks later came out from work to find my stuck on plates on my Subaru missing . Phoned police but no interest at all. Made new plates at work and screwed them on now .Never heared anything from police at all.

I have always stuck my plates on. When I have put my private plates on any car I have had it's always been a pig to remove old plates that have been stuck on IMO and difficult to get off without damaging them. Much easier with a screw driver I think :rolleyes::)

By the way were you named after my idol of the 70's :D

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI

Screws won't stop them if they want them...rivets might though. But ihey are determined to take the plates off, they will. There's practically a battery powered tool for every thing nowadays.

shaunandelly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311 CDi 2005, citan 109 blue 2015
I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in this type of situation and the perpetrators are scum of the highest order, but Ive always wondered what happens if you simply ignore everything that comes through the post...because you are completely innocent after all?
The law of the land is innocent until proven guilty.
They are chipping away at that one bit by bit

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Surely the op has photos sent of the cloned plates by now.
We can get more decorative and still legal plates made up.
4D Gel Raised Domed Gloss Black Number Plates - Pair Front And Rear | eBay
for example.

We can include our own name (or other unique identifier across the bottom), we can add flags and frames. I'm pretty sure the APNR or private security cameras wouldn't pick all of that up, but if they're the decorative plates, with the proof of purchase date and photo, it would let the op off the hook for any claims.

Private plates would reduce the cloning likelihood, the downside being the purchase of and another £80 every time you change vehicle.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Surely, the best thing you could do would be to purchase a very cheap private plate and swap it onto your car. That would at least stop the fines for now and then speak to a solicitor.

As regards how they got your plate, it may have not have been from here. HPI membership is very cheap and a small investment for a criminal gang. You can find any car in minutes on there.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Screws won't stop them if they want them...rivets might though. But ihey are determined to take the plates off, they will. There's practically a battery powered tool for every thing nowadays.
At control technique in France they will tell you that your number plates should be riveted on, when I pointed out just what you said they just smiled. Mine are stilled screwed on but the screws are covered with plastic caps to avoid silly comments from testers.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who works for the police in Brum.
This is a common problem nowadays. He said, drill a 10mm hole in both number plates, through a digit on each plate.
Apparently, this is not counted as 'defacing' the plate.
The hole will show up on cctv cameras, and will differentiate between the cloned plates and your's.
Take a photo when you have done this, and give a copy to the local Station.
Better than tape on the plate because it's a permanent marker.
Costs nothing.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
you mean tape to cover the numbers and letters or just as a marker somewhere on the plate to show it was different to the plate caught on camera's
Just a piece of tape in the corner of the plate. I spotted it and said you’ve got a bit of tape stuck on your plate. Then he told me the above story behind it.

OP
Fiona/Trevor

Fiona/Trevor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi Avantgarde (now swapped for a very reliable VW)
Interesting reading all your responses - thank you.
Ok so just a bit of info on the reality of catching them - I've got a mate who's an ex cop from the area, and he took the time to explain it. You could inform the MET in London, and they might put it on the system, but they get dozens of pings per second and they only ever look at the top offenders - the really serious stuff like murders...... something this minor stands absolutely no chance at all of ever being caught. There are simply too many crimes and not enough police. However, the fuel was stolen from a place just outside the MET's area, so they may be interested and that's the next thing to do, as well as informing DVLA. I'm reluctant to spend the money buying another reg, as yes, we are innocent - but really, this is annoying more than anything, but we are so far away from London that it's not hard to prove!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Ok so just a bit of info on the reality of catching them - I've got a mate who's an ex cop from the area, and he took the time to explain it. You could inform the MET in London, and they might put it on the system, but they get dozens of pings per second and they only ever look at the top offenders - the really serious stuff like murders...... something this minor stands absolutely no chance at all of ever being caught. There are simply too many crimes and not enough police. However, the fuel was stolen from a place just outside the MET's area, so they may be interested and that's the next thing to do, as well as informing DVLA. I'm reluctant to spend the money buying another reg, as yes, we are innocent - but really, this is annoying more than anything, but we are so far away from London that it's not hard to prove!
When the first drive off was reported that force should have put a marker on PNC to the fact that these plates are cloned. I can understand fixed ANPR site pings not being responded to, but most traffic cars have live ANPR fitted. So at some stage a traffic car will come up behind the cloned car. Just make sure a marker has been put on PNC, or this will never end.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I find it disgusting that the Police can simply say its not an important enough crime fir them to bother with :confused:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
It's a joke... Not.. Catch up with these guys inflict some pain, bet u see plod in 5 min. Or refer to them in the way they deserve same thing 5 min.
The UK has gone nuts, it's not great Britain, it's broken Britain. Even if caught these wxxxstains will just get told off prisons today are so full that I believe judges are TOLD to avoid custodial sentences. So in effect there is no deterent, the s/h will be doin it again 3 days later

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom