W204 - will not move from "P" parked to "D" drive

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class W204 2008 2 litre
So, I replaced the brake switch - that did not solve the problem. None of the fuses seems to be blown. I ordered an OBD unit. If that does not help me, I will leave it into a garage and hopefully they will solve the problem. I will let you know what happens.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
... I will let you know what happens.
A tip for the future.
When you take a photo of an electrical connector, make sure the colours of the wires going to the connector are in the photo.
The colours of the wires tie up with colours shown on the diagrams of the electrical circuits. This helps diagnose electrical faults.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A tip for the future.
When you take a photo of an electrical connector, make sure the colours of the wires going to the connector are in the photo.
The colours of the wires tie up with colours shown on the diagrams of the electrical circuits. This helps diagnose electrical faults.
Hi, thank you for that advice. I have uploaded photos of the wires that were cut. Hopefully, that will assist you in diagnosing the problem. If you need any more information, please ask.

Attachments

• 20201125_202556.jpg
    20201125_202556.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_202636.jpg
    20201125_202636.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_202716.jpg
    20201125_202716.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_202718.jpg
    20201125_202718.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_220315.jpg
    20201125_220315.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_220354.jpg
    20201125_220354.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It seems it was a fuse. I had checked the fuses, but not well enough. I used a multimeter and discovered a blown fuse. I replaced it and the problem was solved.

Regarding my most recently posted photos, does anyone have an idea as to what caused the problem?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
It seems it was a fuse. I had checked the fuses, but not well enough. I used a multimeter and discovered a blown fuse. I replaced it and the problem was solved.

Regarding my most recently posted photos, does anyone have an idea as to what caused the problem?

Id hazard a guess that the cutters you used shorted something out and blew that circuits protection fuse.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi, thank you for that advice. I have uploaded photos of the wires that were cut. Hopefully, that will assist you in diagnosing the problem. If you need any more information, please ask.
Many thanks for the photos. I do not have a hard copy of the wiring diagram.
I am glad to note that you have located the blown fuse.
Normally, the German car manufacturers use a
BROWN colour wire for letting the current go to the negative (-ve) terminal of the battery via the metal body of the car and a
RED colour wire to show that it is bringing power from wherever. So the red wire is what you may call LIVE.
When you cut the cables, did you cut one wire at a time?

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BROWN colour wire for letting the current go to the negative (-ve) terminal of the battery via the metal body of the car and a
RED colour wire to show that it is bringing power from wherever. So the red wire is what you may call LIVE.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I cut them with a craft knife, so they were not cut by a wire cutter or scissors, etc. So, they may, unintentionally, been cut one at at a time. Bear in mind, that they were simply connected to the phone cradle that was in the storage compartment between the front seats. I know very little about electrics in a car (or anywhere else), but, what is the difference between cutting through the wires and simply disconnecting them in a conventional way. The wires were going nowhere - their destination, at one end, was an electrical dead-end as far as I was concerned. The reason I did not disconnect them in a conventional way was that, initially, I could not get to the connector clips (they were under the lining of the storage compartment). So, I suppose I am asking, would disconnecting them in the conventional way have had the effect of causing a problem with shifting the gear stick?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .

Reminded me of that movie the hurtlocker. :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I cut them with a craft knife, so they were not cut by a wire cutter or scissors, etc. So, they may, unintentionally, been cut one at at a time. Bear in mind, that they were simply connected to the phone cradle that was in the storage compartment between the front seats. I know very little about electrics in a car (or anywhere else), but, what is the difference between cutting through the wires and simply disconnecting them in a conventional way. The wires were going nowhere - their destination, at one end, was an electrical dead-end as far as I was concerned. The reason I did not disconnect them in a conventional way was that, initially, I could not get to the connector clips (they were under the lining of the storage compartment). So, I suppose I am asking, would disconnecting them in the conventional way have had the effect of causing a problem with shifting the gear stick?

If you popped a fuse somewhere, you obviously shorted across at least a couple of wires. Unplugging would have been your best bet. If you found a spare cable at home, would you just cut it off?
If you know little about electrics you might have better to leave the cradle where it was or get someone else to do it for you ;)

Top Bottom