Weird gearbox issue? Maybe? Maybe not?

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Late 2014 CLS 350 shooting brake
Hi all

just got a cls350 with a 9g tronic box, and a curious thing happened on my first trip out. Whilst cruising along I used the flappy paddle and the. The car would not switch to manual mode.

it would just switch between e and s and the revs were limited, there were no mil lights or any warnings.

I pulled over switched off switch on and all was normal. Is there some weird mode I’m not aware of or is this something common?

Any experiences / shared knowledge greatly received.
Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
55k, are there age related issues?
Trying to establish whether the ATF service was due Adam- how’s the service history? I’m sure @Wighty can advise when that should have been done , my memory is failing tonight !

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Trying to establish whether the ATF service was due Adam- how’s the service history? I’m sure @Wighty can advise when that should have been done , my memory is failing tonight !
Ha! I know that feeling, so apparently it has had 5 services, however yet to put my eyes on this to verify it. They guy who delivered it says it’s online, guessing dealer records but don’t know how to access them. I am new to this as my other owned cars are all ‘old school’ paper records and service books, previous co cars I really didn’t give a hoot about so never really paid attention

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Auto box oil change on the 9G is I think 75K miles or 5 years, whichever first.
I have the 9G on our SLC250d, its normally in eco mode & the paddles work.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
9G ironic here with 50k miles (66 plate). My transmission service will be due in Dec 21 (B service). Used the flappy paddles tonight and I can confirm mine switch gears :D Michelin PS4's were loving the temperature being 7 deg for once!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
did you buy it from a garage ? if so take it back , consumers act 2015 covers any fault by law for the first 3 months pal

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ha! I know that feeling, so apparently it has had 5 services, however yet to put my eyes on this to verify it. They guy who delivered it says it’s online, guessing dealer records but don’t know how to access them. I am new to this as my other owned cars are all ‘old school’ paper records and service books, previous co cars I really didn’t give a hoot about so never really paid attention
If they can give you even one service invoice copy there is a code on there which will allow a Mercedes dealer or Mercedes Independent service company to access the full record online. It's quite common for 'any' sales outfit to give you a print off summary with the car. If you also register to Mercedes me/online with your car details then that service summary (still need the code) will be available to you. Or that's how it used to work anyway....

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
did you buy it from a garage ? if so take it back , consumers act 2015 covers any fault by law for the first 3 months pal
On it, drove to work this morning and after about 30 mins it did the same, turned off reset and was perfect for the next hour, there is a decent warranty with it so will get it looked at

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If they can give you even one service invoice copy there is a code on there which will allow a Mercedes dealer or Mercedes Independent service company to access the full record online. It's quite common for 'any' sales outfit to give you a print off summary with the car. If you also register to Mercedes me/online with your car details then that service summary (still need the code) will be available to you. Or that's how it used to work anyway....
Appreciated! Will get that sorted

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Just ring up your closest merc dealer and ask for a code. If it isn't the latest service, the code will have expired. MB dealership can generate a code for you :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What's you battery voltage like?
Yours must be one of the first with the 9G box

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What's you battery voltage like?
Yours must be one of the first with the 9G box
Yeah I think I it is the first, regarding the battery I have no idea is there an easy way to check? The guy did say that the cars tend to stand for a long while so could be plausible, I did notice that when doing start stop the daylights did dim more than I remember my old e220 doing. I’m gonna get in under warranty and get it looked at.

mom already in love with the thing even though it’s being faulty at me so I really want it sorted

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yeah I think I it is the first, regarding the battery I have no idea is there an easy way to check? The guy did say that the cars tend to stand for a long while so could be plausible, I did notice that when doing start stop the daylights did dim more than I remember my old e220 doing. I’m gonna get in under warranty and get it looked at.

mom already in love with the thing even though it’s being faulty at me so I really want it sorted
~12.6V at rest (engine off) - cheap Digital Multi-meter is always useful to have in your tool kit

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
~12.6V at rest (engine off) - cheap Digital Multi-meter is always useful to have in your tool kit
Have a voltmeter will check, I notice there are a couple of batteries i'll check both, thanks for the tip

As an update I drove the car maybe 30 minutes this morning and it did the same thing and then after restarting the car I did another 2 hours total driving without fault..... I am starting to think the battery thing could be a culpret or indeeed age of oil and me using properly for the first time in a while has made it a little better.

It is booked in to my local dealer on Monday for a diagnostic check so that will hopefully point out the issue and it can be fixed for sure under warranty.

I did have a terrible experience with a Mercedes dealer before where the car went in 10 times to solve a mystery noise - Im hoping this wont be the case on this one !

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a voltmeter will check, I notice there are a couple of batteries i'll check both, thanks for the tip

As an update I drove the car maybe 30 minutes this morning and it did the same thing and then after restarting the car I did another 2 hours total driving without fault..... I am starting to think the battery thing could be a culpret or indeeed age of oil and me using properly for the first time in a while has made it a little better.

It is booked in to my local dealer on Monday for a diagnostic check so that will hopefully point out the issue and it can be fixed for sure under warranty.

I did have a terrible experience with a Mercedes dealer before where the car went in 10 times to solve a mystery noise - Im hoping this wont be the case on this one !
I’d be looking for a decent indie for ongoing maintenance

OP
A

Adrok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well a quick update - so the warranty people booked it into my local dealer, and after an underwhelming experience they said 'yeah nowt wrong with it, we did a software update as there was a new version available'

I am officially the most suspicious person when it comes to garages saying this sort of thing, but I have since driven it a few hundred miles and no issues, so im guessing there must be something sorted in the software, or its just fixed itself.

In a way i'd much rather them say yep there was definitely a problem and we replaced the part - but hey ho.

On another point I tested the aux battery and it is indeed at end of life and not as good as it should be so, so ill order one of those from Tayna Batteries and get it fitted....... any preference of brand? Good/bad experiences ?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom