What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The GLC has been proving her worth this week as a load lugger, helping Katie clear stuff from her yacht ready for some maintenance work. Who says a high performance SUV doesn’t make sense!
View attachment 73983
Close the boot and you’ve got a “lifestyle“ marketing picture :cool:

@00slk could do the same with his… although the puddle maybe somewhat larger…:shock:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Close the boot and you’ve got a “lifestyle“ marketing picture :cool:
Nah - a lifestyle picture would be in the Med in the summer (and with a larger yacht), not the South Coast in January :confused:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Nah - a lifestyle picture would be in the Med in the summer (and with a larger yacht), not the South Coast in January :confused:
Depends what “lifestyle“ you’re trying to sell…;)

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
I summoned up enough energy to move the transport museum about, get my S211 in the garage and give the 5.5 glow plugs a good coat of looking at. 5 out and replaced in 5 minutes, the other broken one about 4 hours.

View attachment 73787
This cheap kit helped no end but l needed additional tools, taps and drill bits plus turning a couple of parts on the lathe, partly due to the glow plug design and to save dismantling the fuel rail and wiring.

View attachment 73789
I sectioned one of the old glow plugs to see how the central core was fitted as with the head sheared off there was a good 25mm sticking out and no amount of pulling was getting it free. Even this one was difficult to get out, I think the core is friction welded into the tip.
I had to use one of the sleeves in the kit to drill the 3mm core away down to the body then turn the outside of the sleeve to fit inside the glow plug body and continue.
It was a real ball ache, and if I had to do it again I would find a better solution!

View attachment 73790
The end of the extraction tool was a tight fit in the cylinder head counterbore and the fuel rail was in the way preventing a straight pull. I turned up this spacer to sit in the cylinder head effectively extending the tool. It was cut off an old steering control arm from the scrap box, perfect diameter, just needed boring out.

View attachment 73791
The offending items.

No more glow plug light after start up and no codes after resetting with the new toy, an iCarsoft CR Max. I fully expected to find the light to still be on due to a faulty controller!

Good job! I may be facing the same myself if I cannot find a new car soon. After getting bad stale fuel with no winter additives during the “fuel crisis” I was not able to successfully start the car in cold weather where as I had no issues with the last cold snap. Glow plugs got killed by it so anything at 4deg or under is a massive issue trying to start it. Other than a long socket and leaving penetrating oil at the top of the glow plugs for a day or two after warming engine, I wasn’t planning on getting removal tools. I haven’t actually got out the multimeter yet to diagnose the bad plugs or relay yet, did you bother or just changed the lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The GLC has been proving her worth this week as a load lugger, helping Katie clear stuff from her yacht ready for some maintenance work. Who says a high performance SUV doesn’t make sense!
View attachment 73983
Nice looking yacht there. What is it? 28ft?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sadler 26, actually 25ft 10in.
I've been campaigning for a MacGregor 26x but MrsLK is having none of it.:(

My idea was to leave it in France on its trailer so no costs other than maintenance. The MacGregor can also be used as a powerboat so could be used on canals and rivers too.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Yes, I learnt something new about my car and ticked something off the list of things that need a good coat of looking at, much to the previous owners amusement!

The radio and phone in the centre console were working fine and did not need defrosting.
It was worth a PAYG sim to relight the fire in that old Nokia and revel in my own self importance asking what we are having for dinner once I'm half way home.

Good job! I may be facing the same myself if I cannot find a new car soon. After getting bad stale fuel with no winter additives during the “fuel crisis” I was not able to successfully start the car in cold weather where as I had no issues with the last cold snap. Glow plugs got killed by it so anything at 4deg or under is a massive issue trying to start it. Other than a long socket and leaving penetrating oil at the top of the glow plugs for a day or two after warming engine, I wasn’t planning on getting removal tools. I haven’t actually got out the multimeter yet to diagnose the bad plugs or relay yet, did you bother or just changed the lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did test them initially and the readings were all over the place, I always do a full set on my own vehicles and keep any serviceable ones as spares. The broken one really was stuck in there, quite possibly an original as they were all different ages. I was pleased to find it was not a faulty relay.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Money Pit and SLK sparkling clean after a visit to our local car wash guys :cool:
I was going to run my SLK through the wash today but ran out of time :(

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Wife had the SLC out this morning, so on return I washed it, got rid of some of the salt.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Wife had the SLC out this morning, so on return I washed it, got rid of some of the salt.
Hi Sonic, I am toying with the idea of buying an SLC. One of the things stopping me is the fear of water leaks.

We used to have a VW Eos a few years back and I got so fed up with the unstoppable water leaks I just thought enough is enough and got rid of it even though basically I liked the car, and this was the facelift one where it was claimed that the water leaks had been sorted on the facelift model. :rolleyes: What I don't want to do is end up in the same situation as we were with the Eos.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Hi Sonic, I am toying with the idea of buying an SLC. One of the things stopping me is the fear of water leaks.

We used to have a VW Eos a few years back and I got so fed up with the unstoppable water leaks I just thought enough is enough and got rid of it even though basically I liked the car, and this was the facelift one where it was claimed that the water leaks had been sorted on the facelift model. :rolleyes: What I don't want to do is end up in the same situation as we were with the Eos.
We had two 172's before the SLC, one for 7 years & one for 9 years. No leaks with the first 2004 one, but we had leaks with the second a 2010 version in the boot. The SLC is bone dry & they have updated the water traps in the boot.
I would suggest you wash the one you are thinking of buying first, & don't spare the water hose!
We are very pleased with the 250d, try & get the later 9 speed its a lovely smooth box.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
We had two 172's before the SLC, one for 7 years & one for 9 years. No leaks with the first 2004 one, but we had leaks with the second a 2010 version in the boot. The SLC is bone dry & they have updated the water traps in the boot.
I would suggest you wash the one you are thinking of buying first, & don't spare the water hose!
We are very pleased with the 250d, try & get the later 9 speed its a lovely smooth box.

Yes, I have the 9g on my W205 and as you say it is seamless :)

pikeg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold My Mercedes
After watching a youtube video this week on the most forgotten filter on your car, I thought to change my Pollen Filter today.. I've had my car for just over a year so I don't know it had been changed before me.. Luckily the discount codes on eurocarparts are superb

Surprising how much gunk the old filter can accumulate.. heres the old one, now replaced by a Bosch :)

1642878089702.jpg

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Changed the E class headlight bulbs , washed the car for a run to North Wales on Monday . Might get a little overnight in the mountains if I’m lucky :)
A little what? Wighty. ;) :)
On top of a Welsh mountain ain’t where I would want to be this weather that’s for sure :oops:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom