Search results

1. markg14

Dead ignition

I think he was referring to my comment timed at 8.10pm
  2. markg14

Dead ignition

No, he is right. In 2013 I paid MB Dartford £600 to replace EIS. I am looking at the bill right now.
  3. markg14

Dead ignition

Fantastic tip tpn! Did exactly as you said, inserted key and rocked steering wheel - hey presto! I have a Mercedes technician turning up today (advantages of Mobilo-Life), so will see what he says when he plugs his Xentry gadget into the diagnostics. Thank you so much for your help people...
  4. markg14

Dead ignition

My suspicions too. Owned the car from new, and this will be the second time the EIS unit has needed replacing. £600 ten years ago, so goodness knows what it will cost this time around.
  5. markg14

Dead ignition

Normally when the key is inserted, a “clunk” is heard. This is the steering lock releasing, but this is not happening at all now. The key can be turned ok, but no dashboard lights light up, and when the key is turned to its fullest, the starter motor does not activate. Nothing at all. Dead...
  6. markg14

Dead ignition

Just put key into ignition, and nothing! No “click” when the car recognises they key, and when key is turned nothing at all. Battery ok, car locks and unlocks on the key. I suspect the EIS unit, but not sure what else it could be. Any ideas anyone?
  7. markg14

Drivers door won’t lock with key or with door switch.

The drivers door locks and unlocks ok manually, using just the key. But dead as a dodo to any remote attempts, with either key.
  8. markg14

Wasn’t aware the door locks needed lubrication. Would a squirt of WD40 do any harm?
  9. markg14

All door locks behaving normally except drivers door. Drivers door won’t lock with key, or with switch on drivers door. Alarm goes off when I open the drivers door, which suggests that the car thinks all doors are locked. I suspect the drivers door lock mechanism is kaput and needs...
  10. markg14

Recommendation for SatNav installer

Any particular reason why I should avoid Halfords? Their SatNav prices are quite competitive, but would be keen to know peoples experience with them. I see that they also sell a wiring kit for those people brave enough to attempt a self-install.
  11. markg14

Recommendation for SatNav installer

Decided to install Satnav in my W204, but would like some recommendation for an installer in Essex. Halfords are quite widely advertised, but would like other owners experience. Who is recommended, and who is to avoid please?
  12. markg14

Is this charge excessive?

I had quotes from independent and authorised MB dealer. Both estimated one hour labour. The motor cost was nearly £300, but this independent quoted 2 hours labour on top of £125 diagnosis fee. When I pointed out that the labour time from others was one hour, they immediately dropped to one...
  13. markg14

Is this charge excessive?

Just had the heater motor pack up on my 2007 C220 CDI C-Class. An independent garage has quoted me £720 to replace the motor, which includes a £125 diagnostic fee. I phoned my local MB authorised dealer, and they quoted £120 diagnostic fee and £180 labour fee, but haven’t managed to obtain a...
  14. markg14

Dashcam question

Thinking of installing a dashcam in my W204 C-Class. Does anyone have any recommendations for any particular make, and also does anyone have any experience of Halfords fitting their dashcam? All advice appreciated.
  15. markg14

Highest mileage?

My 2007 C220 CDI Sport has now covered 280,000 miles and still drives beautifully. Oil has been changed every 10,000 miles, and serviced religiously. Mercedes recently paid for a replacement rear subframe (quite a common fault for vehicles of this age), but still using orbital exhaust...
  16. markg14

W204 subframe corrosion

Oddly enough, when I inspected the broken engine cover, Jardine had also managed to separate the foam insulation from the cover. But I accepted that after 15 years and 280,000 miles, this was not entirely their fault, and maybe due to “fair wear and tear”. I expect the new cover to come with...
  17. markg14

W204 subframe corrosion

Yes, the car had a complete health check, and they sent me a video highlighting other problems (which I authorised for repair). When they denied causing damage to the engine cover (they needed to remove this to repair the injector seals), I asked why the damaged engine cover had not been...
  18. markg14

W204 subframe corrosion

Jardines have now agreed to replace the engine cover, but without admitting responsibility. A bit of a half-arsed apology, but I’ll take it.
  19. markg14

Osram Nightbreakers or Halfords Advanced?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs/halfords-advanced-plus200-brighter-h7-477-headlight-bulb-514942.html
  20. markg14

Osram Nightbreakers or Halfords Advanced?

Will these replace the halogen H7 bulbs that are fitted as standard?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom