Search results

1. Will Barber

Backorder blues

Yep it shows as a genuine part but if they're like every other parts supplier, they won't have the part at all.... they just take your money then place the order with Mercedes. There are so many outlets doing this now, it boils my blood! Thanks for the heads up though guys, I've sent them a...
  2. Will Barber

Backorder blues

Well after spending a huge amount of cash on having the entire cam chain drive system replaced on my 4.7L W216, my car is SORN for the 2nd month at the dealers waiting for a £32 pipe that's gone on back order! I am after this pipe assembly, part No. A2782000851 which is bank 1 turbo coolant...
  3. Will Barber

WARNING - Cheap of copies of Bosch of oil filters

Because it's not the same as previous Bosch filters I've had, simple!
  4. Will Barber

Alex is spot on. I would imagine bank 1 gets oil before bank 2 like the Bentkeys so that bank will be susceptible to oil pressure faults.
  5. Will Barber

No cheaper than usual and from a large web based motor factors!
  6. Will Barber

I hope this post helps other owners out there of cheap imitation copies of Bosch oil filters (and maybe others too). Literally on the day I carried out a service on my 2102 W216 CL500, a rather worringly rattle appeared on start-up. After 3 or 4 seconds the rattle disappered. This went on...
  7. Will Barber

M278 (4.7L) Timing chain tensioners

To be honest guys, I've SORN'ed the car for now whilst I save up for what may well indeed be a catastrophic bill! STAR - What would you charge for the following: Single bank single phaser & tensioner Single bank both phasers & tensioner Both banks both phasers & tensioners Thanks in advance guys.
  8. Will Barber

Hmm.. see what you mean now. Are all 4 cams equipped with phasers?
  9. Will Barber

Star - Thanks for the advice, but I honestly don't think it's the cam phasers, having worked on similar W12 and V8 Bentley's for 25+ years, I'd say I'm 99% sure it's bank 1 hydraulic chain tensioner. John Laidlaw - Thanks for the heads-up on MD Motorcare, I'll see what he says.
  10. Will Barber

Well my local Indy won't do it. Unfortunately Reading is too far away.... can anyone reccommend an Indy in the Shropshire/Cheshire area?
  11. Will Barber

Yes thanks for your input, appreciated. I'd do the job myself as I've replaced phasers, tensioners, cams, pistons, cranks, everything there is to know on Bentley's as that's what I do for a living. I write all the service information for the worldwide dealer network, so I know what I'm doing...
  12. Will Barber

There's a MB Indy near me in Warrington, Cheshire so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they quote me. As my DTC code is 001177, it leads to a problem with the inlet cam only, which in turn suggests the cam phaser. However after 3 seconds the noise disappears and the engine runs as...
  13. Will Barber

It certainly doesn't sound like gear noise, definitely chain tension only. Are we talking approx 6 - 8 hours ??
  14. Will Barber

Yes but only for about 3 seconds. The seals within the tensioner are failing by the sounds of it. I'm used to doing these on Bentleys but not MB. I am a technical authorat the main Bentley factory and work on them all day, so I know they definitely need changing.
  15. Will Barber

Hi all. Typical weak point on most MB's, bank 1 timing chain tensioner is weak on start-up so I intend to have both changed. Only done 76k with FMBSH and oil & filter changed every 8k miles. A couple of questions first... 1. Are these tensioners hydrauliclly operated or are they spring...
  16. Will Barber

New member - W216 CL500

I too have had a W215 but much prefer my W216. Only criticism of almost every Merc is lazy gear change speeds.
  17. Will Barber

M278 4.7L Oil filter removal tool

I like this idea, and this is the route I will take for definite. I won't be fitting the red one though, it's a bit blingy IMO. Weistec Engineering are in fact an American company. Here's the link. https://www.weistec.com/billet-oil-filter-cap-m157-m278.html The cost for mine (M278 engine) is...
  18. Will Barber

Erm... yes! Bentley engineer for 20+ years!
  19. Will Barber

After hours and hours of searching, I can't find a suitable removal tool for the oil filter holder on the M278 engine. The usual 14 sided tools available are of no use whatsoever, as they are designed for the metal spin-on type of filter. the 4.7L V8 M278 engine has a plastic filter holder that...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom