Search results

1. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

Hi bembo449 - I have been lucky, my C230K has been extremely reliable. Its battery failed shortly after purchase and it was swapped for a genuine MB battery (£50). Apart from the occasional service part replacement, my C Class runs perfectly, possibly better than ever and I never worry about...
  2. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

Hi Mallo - you and I think alike! A low mileage example with few owners appeals to me. I think an upper limit of £10,000 is fair. I take your point about air suspension and other possible pitfalls of high-end ownership.
  3. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

I must admit I have become a BIG fan of Mercedes since owning my first ever MB. I recall I was nervous about buying it. All the usual questions sprung to mind but looking back it has proven a sound investment, utterly reliable and not expensive to run. My interest in Mercedes is such that I have...
  4. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

It was an SLK55 AMG (2006) I saw at the local motor show recently and I only stopped to chat to the wife of the owner to find out what she thought of it and if it was reasonably inexpensive to run & maintain otherwise I would have passed on by. In my mind I have always associated AMG ownership...
  5. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

Hybrids? I don't think I have encountered this term before?
  6. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

The corrosion resistance issue (ref. 'fail up through 2009 ... ') is not something I have heard of before although I had read that galvanising was introduced earlier but not that it was applied to 'some models'. Your replies suggest 2010, or later, should represent a sound purchase...
  7. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

Thanks All I was expecting replies like yours, which come as no surprise. I will stick to a more sensible choice and look for carefully cared for C300/C350.
  8. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

Hi John Your reply confirmed what I suspected!
  9. philharve

Cost of AMG ownership

I have been wondering if the costs associated with running an AMG model can far exceed the costs of running an non-AMG model? My 15yrs relationship with my first MB, a C230K 2000, purchased in 2005 is, I feel, coming to an end, probably sometime next year. I would like another MB because mine...
  10. philharve

Replacing my bonnet star with a flat badge

Hi All I eventually found a 'metal', single-piece bonnet badge for my W202 on eBay. When I say 'metal', the visible part is all metal (alloy/chrome?), the spring-loaded fitting beneath is of a sturdy plastic construction and riveted to the rear of the badge. I have ordered one. The badge I have...
  11. philharve

Hi All My 'plastic', flat bonnet badge arrived today and whilst I haven't found time to fit it, I did wonder what it would look like once installed so I temporarily stuck it on the bonnet with spit in order to photograph it. You can see in one photo where the 'gunsight' once stood. An...
  12. philharve

My thanks to ALL. Since posting my enquiry (above) I have watched several short videos of the 'swap' and it is indeed very easy and cheap. I have ordered a 57mm badge from eBay but if it doesn't fit I can always buy the smaller badge and fit that instead. I will miss the 'gunsight' but I must...
  13. philharve

Hi All I, too, am considering a badge swap on the leading edge of my C230K bonnet. I want to swap the 'gunsight' (now gone missing) for a 'flat badge'. I prefer the 'gunsight' but there have been a spate of robberies/vandalism on most cars in and around the area where I live and fitting a new...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom