Search results

1. G

How rare is my SL R129...?

No, my 300SL gets to 150mph easily with more to spare, in every gear there is acceleration available. The weight just gives it a nice steadiness at speed.
  2. G

How rare is my SL R129...?

Hi, its difficult to find out about rarity on these cars. I have been trying with mine. It is a 91 300SL with I6 M103 engine, German market only car. It has unusual spec, I think even for a German car. For instance, one colour from factory, old fashioned keys, no side marker lights, no air...
  3. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

OK I took it to a garage and they did two days of research and fixed it. It was just that various connectors had becomle loose over time, particularly the one under the OVP relay, system not getting enough voltage. The wiring is ok but because now rather stiff with age it strains the connectors...
  4. G

Some rear lights not working - R129

Yeah my problem was that I have LHD car and the rear fog was converted to the other side for UK driving, but I live in France and had to convert it back to LHD fog, but I am not sure the layout is correct now, although it all works ok.
  5. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

OK I got the voltage regulator and installed it and the lights are still on, but the battery drain has completely gone and the electrics are strong now, so some progress. The old regulator had one brush nearly gone and the other really low. I am thinking that maybe the rear lights are wired...
  6. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

OMG, I am an idiot. I should have checked the voltage regullator on the alternator ages ago, but the battery tester said it was charging fine. But I took it out just now. It seemed like it was the original one, very old, and the brushes are almost gone. I think this could be the cause, don't...
  7. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Annoyingly the Mercedes diagnostic tests use a machine that goes between the plugs and the ECUs, so the test numbers they give are not much help (as far as I get it). Anyway checked more wiring and it all seems ok, but there is a voltage drop from the battery to the ABS ECU of about 1 volt...
  8. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Red wires from the ABS/ASR Hydraulic Unit solenoid valve relay (the 6 pin one) go direct to the fuse box, fuse 6, then to both warning lamps, then from these lamps wires return to the HU relay, via plug pin 8 and 10, but are joined to 2 wires coming direct from the ECU pins 17 and 29. The ECU is...
  9. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

The voltage to the OVP plug is 12,42, so not bad. Going to test from OVP to ABS ECU. The Star diagnosis says if both lights come on and stay on, then it is either the OVP, which is new, or the switchover solenoid valve in the hydraulic block. But this is another block. So must be wires...
  10. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Unfortunately the Star Diagnosis starts with M104 engines and does not refer to M103.
  11. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Next need to test wiring from OVP to ABS ECU, and the connector to the ECU for poor connection. According to Star diagnosis.
  12. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Maybe it is normal, some plugs have no contacts in them I suppose. Annoying. Star diagnosis starts its ASR troubleshoot section with 129 061, mine is 129 060, I've been wondering if this is the way the car was built, it seems to be before ASR was introduced? Or I dunno. .
  13. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

I think it might be pin 15 "Circuit 30a from Overvoltage relay (Calif.) Check Engine Light (Federal)" but that is US and a different model diagram. But it is 15. This is German car so... I think if pins are not used they usually still have connectors in them. ???
  14. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

So, the only weirdish thing is the missing pin in the plug to the KE Jet ECU. Does anyone know if this is correct or not? It is the second from end pin in the shorter row of twelve pins.
  15. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Yeah fuse six has continuity from plug wires 6 and 13. So it checks out ok.
  16. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

As far as I can make out, wires 13 and 6 don't go to the ECUs but to the fuse box, then warning lamps, so I would not get continuity on them anyway I suppose. The fuse is ok. But not sure which one it is, possibly 6, I can't read the diagram. Fuse box label does not refer to brakes or ABS.
  17. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Thanks Richard. Well, it seems ok. I've been working on the ABS/ASR wiring. Testing the loom from the ABS hydraulic unit plug to the ABS ECU plug and the Jetronic ASR plug. Most have continuity, wire 10 from ABS plug goes to both ECUs, but wires 6 and 13 do not have continuity to either plug...
  18. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

Anyone know if the ASR brake fluid accumulator pressure regulator has electrical connections to test, it doesn't look like it.
  19. G

1991 300SL ABS relays

OK I took off the ASR potentiometer and checked it. It was clean and good. I lost a spring in the process, where could it have gone, I dunno. Just disappeared. Car is fine still though. I got some advice from a garage about another garage who is good with electrics, so maybe I will go there. I...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom