Search results

1. T

CLK W209 - Can't steer after MOT

New rack seems to have fixed everything. They still disputed that it was anything they had done, but they didn't charge me. Seems too much like a coincidence. Anyway, I'm back on the road now.
  2. T

Garage say they now believe the problem to be the rack. They have ordered a replacement rack, and are fitting tomorrow. No questions about whether I would pay for it, so presumably this indicates now that they think it could be something they have done?
  3. T

Thanks Mioba. Definitely the tracking was wildly out when I drove it. They addressed this, and showed me the difference in tracking readings, before and after (didn't mean much to me, but there was a lot of red on the 'before' readings). I haven't driven it since they did that, but the mechanic...
  4. T

Interesting suggestion, thanks Uncle Benz. Although they did put the old parts on, and said it was the same. Surely they wouldn't make the same mistake twice? Maybe I'll mention it when no doubt I get the next call from them tomorrow. Thanks again.
  5. T

Strange one. Took my CLK for MOT on Monday, not with dealer. It failed, due to tie end rods - failure on one side, advisory on the other, I had both changed at around £200 inc labour. Interestingly there had been no advisory on either when I had the service done, around 2k miles and 3 months...
  6. T

W209 CLK - Roof won't close

Time for an update. Not that I'd overlooked it, but just that it has taken until today to find someone that even wanted to look at it. Not sure how far I've moved on. They looked for 20 minutes, charged me for an hour, and said that the problem was due to a broken plastic hinge on the tonneau...
  7. T

Thanks Bill, that's really useful, and to Flyinspanner for the original suggestion re battery. Sounds complicated, especially when out of the country with limited tools. Given the age of the car, I possibly would think about not replacing the alarm; to be honest at home I mostly never lock it...
  8. T

Thanks Flyinspanner. That makes sense. When the key stopped working the roof was down (obviously, as it wouldn't go back up!), so I reached in over the windows to unlock. The hazards flashed until I put the key in the ignition, but there was no noise. Already tried the separator wiggle to no...
  9. T

No worries, we'll get there. I can still just about reach in under the tonneau and touch the levers on the compartment hinge. What's your view, should I have them pushed toward the rear of the car (the video that you posted suggests it is easier to force the tonneau down), or should I have...
  10. T

what a mess! Got the roof up no problem, secured it no problem. Having read elsewhere that getting the roof into place might jog a sticky microsensor into action, I decided to try lowering the roof. First I tightened the locking nuts and the valve screw. I figured that the hydraulics wouldn't...
  11. T

Thanks Bill, you posted just as I edited my last post! You are indeed right. When I was trying to re-enable it earlier, I was just turning the ignition. Never thought about closing the boot!
  12. T

Where have I got to today?: - I don't believe I can hear the pump, nothing sounds unusual - Checking the handbook again, it suggests that the car needs to have the parking brake on. I have never used the parking brake on the car. I now find that it doesn't operate, although curiously I had the...
  13. T

I don’t recall hearing the pump, and I don’t even think I had the engine running in between changing the fuse, testing it, and finding that it had blown again. I’ll start the car tomorrow morning though, and have a proper listen.
  14. T

Thanks Bill, that looks like a good workout! I'll see if I can find the straps, I don't recall ever seeing them before. When I replaced the fuse, I locked and unlocked it several times, released the boot etc, all no problem. When I returned several hours later though there was nothing. As far...
  15. T

Spoke too soon, the replacement fuse blew. I'm not an electrician, so am a bit stumped as to what to do now, and feel that there is an electrical issue here that is probably causing the central locking/boot release fuse to blow, while at the same time preventing the roof from closing. I'm going...
  16. T

I’ve fixed the locking issue, fuse number 8 had blown. Is it too coincidental that two separate electrical issues could have started on the same day? Perhaps there is something else that I should be looking for in the fuses maybe, something invoked at startup of the roof close sequence?
  17. T

Hi Bill, No worries at all, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I've been doing a bit of research on this, and come up with a useful video that goes through the microswitches: I've got a feeling that my focus should be on the one that is the passenger side in mine (S84/11 - around...
  18. T

Thanks Crippo. That's interesting. I would have thought that this would be no different from deciding to close before fully open, so am surprised that it finds itself in limbo. Tried it though, and didn't do the trick unfortunately. I appreciate the suggestion though, thanks
  19. T

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Windows work fine from the buttons in the doors. Nothing happens though when I use the button to raise the roof. Not sure what you mean about about rollbar? I showed a picture of a rollbar error, this only appeared when I removed the soft top fuse from bay 28. I was...
  20. T

Had another look at the fuses. When I take out the Yellow20 that I previously suspected as bay 28, I get an error message ‘please release rollover bar’. Also (with the fuse reinserted), if I raise the boot and try the button to raise the roof, I get a message on the dashboard to show that the...
Top Bottom