w124

1. S

W124 steering box adjustment?

Evening, Is the steering box adjustable on the W124s? My steering is a little slack and I wonder if it could be sorted, with the quick turn of a spanner or similar. I recall this was the case on W123s. Alternatively, how does a changing the steering box rate in terms of difficulty/...
  2. S

W124 tyre bowl... spare wheel (saloons and estates)

HNY. Do W124 cars come with spare tyre wheel inserts like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Spare-Tyre-Wheel-Insert-Cover-Bucket-R129-SL-Facelift-280-320-500-600-/151200234668 I'd like one for my estate car, and wanted to know if this part would fit, I have 15 inch rims. I have a...
  3. S

W124 front armrest repair

I finally found a suitable armrest on eBay to dismantle and harvest parts to get my car's front armrest holding in the upright position. This post was most helpful: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1681362-swapping-arm-rest-installng-arm-rest.html I had to sacrifice a...
  4. J

W124 '95 E280 4 Speed Auto Estate, Diavia A/c Issues

I posted a short novella on the after-factory Diavia ECU-MAN System a few months ago, having got mine working well. I have two queries: Symptoms: 1 My recirculation button flashes permanently (apart from when recirculation is engaged when it is constant as normal) - has been doing this for...
  5. J

W124 '95 E280 4 Spd Auto Est / Suspension Hydraulics

Mornin' all, Not posted for a while, because I have been enjoying several 1,000s miles of trouble-free, if high fuel consumption, motoring (well allowing for indicators packing up (fuse) and mystery flashing recirculation button, on Diavia A/C system). :cool: Now, though, I appear to be...
  6. S

W124 engine temperature and oil pressure

Dear all, I am still very much learning about cars so forgive this basic question. Driving home in London traffic last night, after a weekend on A-roads, my car's engine temperature was higher than normal, and hit the 100/120 mark on the dial. The viscous fan was working and I tried increased...
  7. S

W124 door seal -

Hello all, I've noticed when washing my car that its door seals have a few nicks in them. Thankfully they don't leak and are exclusively cosmetic issues. One area on the n/s passenger door has some special looking tape applied. My question is two fold. a) Can anyone recommend a special...
  8. S

W124 door solenoid -

Hello, Can someone please tell me how to remove this part? It is the driver's door solenoid although MB may call is something else. It has stopped working and this is prevent the total closure function working. I have just ordered a replacement convenience module (from eBay for £15, which...
  9. J

'95 E280 4Spd Auto Estate: IR Remote Locking / A/C / Odds

Hi all, Not posted for a while. Was waiting on MB parts and time-slots to tackle the tailgate lock barrel. Lock: Fitted today, much bigger job than the N/S door, but all good and (Eureka!), the second new IR key synchronised immediately as I had thought might be the case; so, fully working...
  10. grahamperrin

Low budget S124 (300TE) total cost of ownership: reflections

300TE automatic, petrol, 1988. Purchase May 2008. I can't recall the exact cost, but it was well below £1,000. Let's say: £750. Fuel and road tax I never properly tracked the cost of fuel because at the time of purchase, I simply wanted something similar to my previous Merc (a...
  11. E

Whiney rear end without throttle.

Hi guys, My 95' W124 E220 Coupe has developed an alarming fault. The rear end (suspect diff) has started whining and knocking loudly all of a sudden. The knocking is intermittent and happens at any speed, throttle or non, for a few seconds and sounds like s heat shield vibrating in the wind...
  12. J

W124 E280 4 Spd Auto (Est), Ignition, Infra-Red Remote

Mornin' I am getting the following blinker codes from my 16 pin diagnostic box on a late model (Nov '95) W124.088 M104942 engine (ca. 138k miles): Socket 8 HFM-SFI Sequential Injection/Ignition: 9 = O2S 1 (before TWC) - voltage too high, circuit open or voltage implausible. Socket 12...
  13. J

W124 E280 4 Spd Auto (Est), Cruise Control

Mornin' all, Cruise control on my car has been U/S, since I got it back in October. It is next on my list to restore to working order. I will then only have 3 main issues, apart from a list of largely cosmetic cabin and trim parts, which I'll do gradually, (1) o/s heating & A/C issues (prob...
  14. J

W124 E280 Auto (Est), Sunroof - Quiz!

Anyone know what the attached is? A couple of days ago, I was checking the mechanism on the sunroof and this little fella drop off on to the passenger seat... It is approx. 10mm x 10mm x 5mm, rubber with a soft surface finish. Looks like some kind of stop end / buffer for e.g. a track, but...
  15. J

E280 (W124) Auto Est (96) Heating (duo valve)

I mentioned that I was a little unhappy with my heating, and with tell-tale constant warm air from the dash side vents, and after a bit of research, I have checked the duo valve and adjacent pump. With ignition on, there is vibration from the pump so that seems ok, but NO "clicking" from the...
  16. J

E280 (W124) Auto Est (96) Indicator lamps (cluster)

So, I have this tiny niggle... All my cluster warning lamps work, but those for the indicators just don't show in the daytime and it is a little irritating. They are fine after dusk. I've read all the stuff warning against over-powered lamps, but it seems odd to me that MB would have thought...
  17. J

W124 E280 Auto (Est), HRW, External Temp Gauge, Heating

Hi all, I wonder if some W124 gurus could help me with these (on a facelift model): 1 HRW, I have condensation and rear window demister problems. Condensation has improved with a clear out of both rear side wells, both of which had the little 3 hole air vents obstructed by previous owner...
  18. busters the boy!

W124 230e What's This Rattling Noise??

Hello chaps Car has suddenly started to make this fierce racket on start-up. Only when cold. Was serviced last week and before that was running a bit lumpy due to fritzed distributor cap. That and spark plugs and leads replaced at service last week. Sounded normal after service, but about 4...
  19. J

W124 E280 4 Speed Auto (Estate) - Fuel Consumption?

Hi all, I have a '95 model with 135k on the clock. Generally good condition. I have poor fuel consumption. Over about 1,300 miles I am getting this (mpg (UK Imperial)): Average: 18.73 Best: 20.75 Worst: 15:55 (although that was before a full maintenance service) The MB data in the...
  20. M

Diagnosing wipers not working on W124

Hi, Having procrastinated about stripping down and re-greasing the wiper mechanism on my 1990 300TD Estate, due to the fact that it had the early, screwed on aluminium rather than plastic clip on wiper mechanism cover (and not having read the suggestion to drill a hole in the bottom of the...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom