£2,500 spent but pay back time today.e-300 td.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, as many members will know i have wrestled with my e300 td eleg. 7 seat est this past 6 months. 190,000 miles.

i bought the car 12 yrs ago for £51,000 this included every extra. superb machine up until 12 months ago.

first thing, front suspension coil spring retaining cup broke off, doe to underseal failing and corrosion.

then i was sucking air and all seals on fuel system were replaced,

then all glow plugs changed,

then all injectors changed,

autobox new oil and filter with wiring loom and new oil seal,

then rear self leveling suspension new spheres etc.

new MAF ( mass air flow sensor),

turbo boost pipe resecured to air inlet manifold,

exhaust cat welded to main flow pipe,

new intercooler,

cruise control speed sensor replaced,

steering rack tie rods changed,

front wheel tracking, camber and castor laser set ( scrubbing inside edge of tyres).

fully waxoiled, no rust.

yes i did not care about the cost i just decided i would return the quality of operation to how it was in 1997 when i bought the machine.

today i drove from lancashire to skegness in linconshire , round trip 400 miles, i experienced high speed cruising, smooth and quiet, very stable, gliding passed the 08 bmw's etc. i also must confess i have never used the 5 speed auto 4 th gear boost, today i tried it, you get noticeable acceleration at a "oner" with the turbo bringing on the power band at 4,000 rpm, these mercs were ahead of their time, six airbags, climate control, 7 position computer memory seats, and 37 mpg. plug in tow bar, polychromatic mirrors, carries 7 adults in comfort. current value circa £4,500. tell me thats not a bargain.

i nearly let the car go but i am now glad i stood by it. as it is part of the family now, i could have traded it in for a £7,000 snotbox, got 45 mpg today and hated the whole driving experience. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A nice post Herbie, I wonder if I will feel the same when I am 84 years old:confused::shock:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Looking at the list of what you have replaced/repaired (apart from the suspension cup of course) and the mileage, overall in the scheme of things thats not a lot of expense, I hope that my C43 gives as reliable service as my C230K as I have done 120,000 miles and not missed a beat.
You have done the right thing by keeping the car, at 190,000 miles, you,ve just run it in!
As an after thought, sorry for going "off topic" have you got dimming Rear view mirror and both door mirrors or just the driver side?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the car is 12yrs old, and a 300TD is it a 210. IIRC the 124 came without a turbo in the 3litre I6 diesel engine.

Even back in the 80's the 123 300TDT had a turbo for LHD cars, and they were very fast, could not do a RHD version as the steering was in the way

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
They do a 124 TD. Thats must be about 180bhp and 250-300 lb/ft torque. A real weapon :D Alas is it in RHD.

There was no 124 series turbo diesel for the UK market.

The terminology is confusing, but T = estate car, D = diesel. TD, I fear, did not mean turbo-diesel.

Turbotechnics produced after market turbo charger additions for these cars (250 and 300) which added hugely to their power and appeal. The "bottom end" could certainly handle the extra power.

Perhaps other Forum members remember more? :confused: Or indeed had one?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For LHD in the 124 range there were 6 different TDT versions including two 4 matics

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi bigasotonuk, all the three mirrors are polychromatic light dimmers and heated, they also have the 10 degree paralax lens for side vision.

hi st4, the engine is the w210. 180 bhp. with turbo. thankyou for your interest shown.

just an aside to my original post. when you cruise in good weather at high speed as you all know you collect thousands of insects, you will also know how difficult they are to remove even after soaking with water.

a friend of my drives abroad and he once told me to mix an egg cup full of vinegar, a squirt of washing up liquid and top up with water in a spray bottle, after 3 or 4 minutes the solvent mixture completely releases the midges etc. and you just rinse with cold water and a cloth.
herbiemercman.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
a friend of my drives abroad and he once told me to mix an egg cup full of vinegar, a squirt of washing up liquid and top up with water in a spray bottle, after 3 or 4 minutes the solvent mixture completely releases the midges etc. and you just rinse with cold water and a cloth.herbiemercman.

I think that is the active ingredient in "Mr Muscle" Herbie. Also good to clean the wiper blades whilst you are doing the screen.

clktme

Reaction score
Hi Herbiemercman, I have a CLK 220 and in an accident the Intercooler was crushed. Was wondering how much they robbed you to replace the intercooler.?

steve berry

Reaction score
Herbiemercman, I would like to buy your car if you ever think about selling.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom