£60 fine, no seat belt

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Sometimes you can honestly just forget, or maybe it's just me. When we go out and we take the dog with us it takes me so long to get myself sorted in the passenger seat that often Keith has driven off before I've had the chance to put my seatbelt on and because the dog is on my lap, plus my handbag, phone, poop bags, tennis ball, water bottle etc I honestly don't realise till we get where we are going that my seatbelt isn't on :Oops:

Lynn, you're being a little daft...if you have the dog in your lap, in the event of an accident the airbag will act on the dog and then you...you will be dead!!!

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Dogs IMHO should never be upfront in a car. They are a menace and a distraction.

A close family members life was ruined by a distracted driver and it was because of the dog upfront, they braked for a biker that came unstuck overtaking in front of them, doggie lady was too distracted by doggy to see and wallop.

Dogs in the back in a cage or at least behind the back seats in a hatch or estate with doggie bars in place to keep them out of cabin

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Maybe I should sit in the back then :lol:

I just saw this which might be a better idea

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Dogs IMHO should never be upfront in a car. They are a menace and a distraction.

A close family members life was ruined by a distracted driver and it was because of the dog upfront, they braked for a biker that came unstuck overtaking in front of them, doggie lady was too distracted by doggy to see and wallop.

Dogs in the back in a cage or at least behind the back seats in a hatch or estate with doggie bars in place to keep them out of cabin

My Dad made the Channel Island news back in the 60's by driving down a steep hill with a construction site alsation in the back of his estate car. The dog slid forward, trapped his paws on something and naturally let out a howl. Dad turned round, lost control and drove through a shop window:Oops:
Still remind him of it occasionally these days:D

Regarding the OP's wife, unfortunate but not really an excuse having been the law for so long. An expensive reminder to belt up. The PC's were correctly checking out the car and silly to complain about that. A matter of course for practically every moving traffic offence.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
A friend was stopped for a much more serious accusation (130 plus MPH) and their car wasn't checked over by a couple of ***l retentives. Actually, the police were nice to him. This friend has been stopped for speeding, going down a bus lane, accused of running a red light (it wasn't) and a random night time stop to discuss an incident and the BiB were all very pleasant and didn't bother checking the cars lights, tyres blah blah at all.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I was pulled over in the CLK on a wet gloomy morning. I was in a line of traffic going under the limit in a 30 area.
Do up know why we have pulled you over.? No.
You were not wearing a seat belt. I am wearing one. I always wear one. I've had this on since the start of the journey. I also pointed out that I was wearing a dark shirt and a black gilet. Also, the CLK belt comes out from the actual seat, not the pillar. I politely pointed all this out and also that it was a very wet mornig with all cars using headlights.
She radioed her colleauge and agreed he could have been mistaken
We will give you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion sir.

I too fail to see why some people do not wear seat belts.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A friend was stopped for a much more serious accusation (130 plus MPH) and their car wasn't checked over by a couple of ***l retentives. Actually, the police were nice to him. This friend has been stopped for speeding, going down a bus lane, accused of running a red light (it wasn't) and a random night time stop to discuss an incident and the BiB were all very pleasant and didn't bother checking the cars lights, tyres blah blah at all.

Would that be Martin:rolleyes:. Lucky Martin wasn't in Dorset as this could have been far more serious knowing how zealous they can be regarding driving offences..
Martin has been a silly boy and will obviously learn from this. Hopefully the law won't be too harsh and they let him back behind the wheel after a reasonable period of time.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^^^^
Might be a mixture of Martin and Dave

Hmmm was Dave twice the NSL?:p

Did we ever hear how Dave's transgression was dealt with? Haven't read anything about it myself.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I know they're just doing their job but i think the bigger question is why the hell is there a law in force that stops people endangering themselves.

There's enough idiotic behaviour on the roads and in society in general that causes harm to others, and surely this is where the police are needed, not in protecting one from oneself?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Mainly because we have to recover you and fix you (NHS).
There used to be regular awful disfigurements and deaths from people flying into and through windscreens.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I know they're just doing their job but i think the bigger question is why the hell is there a law in force that stops people endangering themselves.

There's enough idiotic behaviour on the roads and in society in general that causes harm to others, and surely this is where the police are needed, not in protecting one from oneself?

It also prevents parents endangering their children.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

The bottom line though us the fact that the police are there to uphold the law despite some of them thinking they are the law. If an offence has taken place, it is their job to deal with it.

Ralph42

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240/1998/V6/petrol
why the hell is there a law in force that stops people endangering themselves.

Maybe because a fatal accident (likely if no seatbelt worn) costs the tax payer (so me, and possibly you) £1,686,532 where as a 'slight' accident (such as a similar accident with a belt worn) costs £14,611

(Those figures are per person)

Taken from: A valuation of road accidents and casualties in Great Britain in 2011

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics...nd-safety-annual-report-2011/rrcgb2011-02.pdf

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Martin can be assured that plod will have checked his credentials when and where necessary before committing to sending him notification of his errant ways

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
A friend was stopped for a much more serious accusation (130 plus MPH) and their car wasn't checked over by a couple of ***l retentives.

That's because a Section 2 offence is above any normal speeding or vehicle offence - it's a charge for Dangerous Driving.

Your friend is a .......... idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
Police doing what Police are there to do. I see no problem with your wife getting the once over.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Now, if you want an interesting police story, I'll give you one...

The other night my wife came home from work, as per normal, about 7pm on a Thursday. In my usual style I had had a glass or two of wine and the Kiddywinks were sound asleep. Hearing her key in the door I stepped into the hall to help her with her bag. Imagine my surprise to see her standing there with a policeman young enough to be my son....
"Your wife's car is not insured sir, so I've followed her home to check it out"
Emboldened by the couple of glasses of Rioja swilling around in my empty stomach, I blurt out "Oh really! Well I know it is, and I have a computer just here connected to the Internet. Let's ask MID, shall we??"
Allowing him to dictate the registration to me, and showing him every key press on the way, sure enough, the car was insured. Perfectly.
"Well, thank you very much sir, seems I have made a mistake" he said, and headed for the door.
I think I managed something meek, like "Yes, thank you officer", but what I should have said was, "Yeah, I think you liked the look of my wife pal, but were a bit surprised to find me at home, weren't you??"
Next time, next time...

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Now, if you want an interesting police story, I'll give you one...

The other night my wife came home from work, as per normal, about 7pm on a Thursday. In my usual style I had had a glass or two of wine and the Kiddywinks were sound asleep. Hearing her key in the door I stepped into the hall to help her with her bag. Imagine my surprise to see her standing there with a policeman young enough to be my son....
"Your wife's car is not insured sir, so I've followed her home to check it out"
Emboldened by the couple of glasses of Rioja swilling around in my empty stomach, I blurt out "Oh really! Well I know it is, and I have a computer just here connected to the Internet. Let's ask MID, shall we??"
Allowing him to dictate the registration to me, and showing him every key press on the way, sure enough, the car was insured. Perfectly.
"Well, thank you very much sir, seems I have made a mistake" he said, and headed for the door.
I think I managed something meek, like "Yes, thank you officer", but what I should have said was, "Yeah, I think you liked the look of my wife pal, but were a bit surprised to find me at home, weren't you??"
Next time, next time...

Nice story. Some people are idiots! Good you put him in place. From his reaction looks like he was possibly trying it on.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom