124 Estate Water in Passenger Footwell

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI estate 2007, SL320 (129), 300TE
I see what you're saying, sort of sunroof roulette. Still, it's good to live life on the edge sometimes. :D

Absolutely, the edge is where I like to be but experience tells me that some edges are best kept well away from.

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about pushing a piece of garden strimmer cord up from the bottom, you would hear where it goes,, you can also push this down from the top

I'll give that a go. I wondered if there are any diagrams showing the hose and it routing.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'll give that a go. I wondered if there are any diagrams showing the hose and it routing.

I will check tonight,,but I doubt that there are any

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm - much appreciate the help you're giving.

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll have to investigate the bottom of it. The water comes out somewhere behind the wheel arch lining. Thanks for finding the picture.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The pipe would have to run at the front of the footwell,,the door hinges and plates are if the front of the A pillar so it could not go there,,so it does bend and go forward by the end of the glove box and down and out

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm, judging from the wet behind the side panel the leak has to be in the area of the bend at the bottom of the windscreen and where the hose runs forward. Almost impossible to get at, I suspect. I'm beginning to think that the plan to get a tube down inside the hose at least far enough to bypass the leak might me the most practical way forward?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you tried washing up liquid on the tube and rotating it as you push it down.

You could also shave the end of the pipe so that there is no blunt end so that it tapered

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll give that a go. The bore of the pipe I bought is quite a lot smaller than the drain hose so I'm concerned that it may not carry enough volume. I'm going to see if I can find some tubing that's closer to the hose, although that'll be even harder to install. I guess that replacing the seal around the sunroof aperture would reduce the amount of water in the area. Thanks.

philmayfield

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r129 SL320
Try (don't laugh) Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. http://www.captaintolley.com/
Pour it in the drain hole and it should seek out the cracks in the hose and seal them. I think it's a diluted PVA adhesive so you could also try diluting PVA adhesive with water so that it's runny enough to flow without blocking the pipe. Worth a try.

Phil

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I'll give that a go. The bore of the pipe I bought is quite a lot smaller than the drain hose so I'm concerned that it may not carry enough volume....
How much water are you expecting? I'm quite sure a leak free path is all you need, we can't be talking about huge volumes here.
I still say block it up and buy the Mrs a new hat. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much water are you expecting? I'm quite sure a leak free path is all you need, we can't be talking about huge volumes here.

The danger in blocking it up would be that if you parked on a sloping road facing down hill the water could go over the edge of the water collector tray and down the good ladies neck

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What do you think the hat is for? :D

Brilliant,, she can just lean over and whisper all those nice things that females do, and it will all run down his neck:D

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Phil. As you say, well worth a try. I've emailed the company to see if they have any thoughts on how best to go about it.

And what a great name for a product - once heard, never forgotten (I'll resist any further remarks).

Thanks again

Ric

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Sorry Roadhog I didn't see your message before making my last post and I've been out on money earning activities (does get in the way of important things). So basically, the proposition is a choice for Mrs R between new wellies or a new hat - hmm, I think I'll have to choose my moment before putting that on the table. In the meantime I'll continue to attempt to stop the leak. Gives me a plan B though, thanks :)

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Just tell her it's the latest fashion with Merc owners and their wives, it can't fail. :D

OP
R

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In most circumstances I can see that would work a treat. However, in our house hats are a touchy subject - I bought a rather jazzy porkpie hat at the Goodwood Revival in September and every time I wear it I find myself unaccompanied :eek:

Now, back to that leak ...

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
In most circumstances I can see that would work a treat. However, in our house hats are a touchy subject - I bought a rather jazzy porkpie hat at the Goodwood Revival in September and every time I wear it I find myself unaccompanied :eek:

Now, back to that leak ...
Not so fast young man. It's important that you understand where you went wrong with the hat issue in order to prevent you from making similar mistakes in the future. It's quite simple, you should have bought your other half a matching pork pie and all would have been well. The leaking sunroof wouldn't be an issue either. :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom