15 inch Steel Wheels onto a CLS 2010

Stormbusta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 Class 2007 - GOne but Not Forgotton - My First Ever Merc. Now CLS 350 CDI 2010 with lots
Hi Guys, I recently sold my 2007 C class Estate and now I have a 2010 CLS which has rather nice 19inch wheels. I have kept my spare winter wheels and tyres which I fitted onto my C class during the winter months. These are 15inch Steel wheels and were fine on the C Class Estate. I want to know if these are safe to use on my CLS. I have tried them on the car and they fit with no interference on Brakes/bodywork and have driven round the block (approx 1 mile) to see if I could detect and problems. The only 'modifications' i did to make the wheels fit was to use shorter thread studs on the front wheels. I can't find any info regarding 15inch wheels on a CLS and although they look a bit strange, if they fit the car, is there any reason why I should not use these on my CLS?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You need to check out the rolling circumference of the 15" wheels and tyres. If they are a lot different from the original CLS wheels you'll likely run into trouble with some of the onboard driving systems (ESP?ABS..) not to mention the speedo will be out.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
They will look silly, and that's reason enough

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
You need to check out the rolling circumference of the 15" wheels and tyres. If they are a lot different from the original CLS wheels you'll likely run into trouble with some of the onboard driving systems (ESP?ABS..) not to mention the speedo will be out.

if the wheels are used at all 4 corners, there will be no issues as the car cannot detect the rolling diameter, unless 1 is different to the rest. the only issue i can logically see is that the speedo reading will be out.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Tyre width and spec?
they never fitted 15" wheels to a CLS and I doubt the width is correct either. That's ignoring the speed and load ratings.you could be in serious trouble with your insurer if you fit those.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Regardless of rights/wrongs, technical compatibility, etc - I want to see what a CLS looks like on 15" wheels.

We need pictures!

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
I don't think 15inch wheels would clear the front caliper
Not 100% sure as I've never try it

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

They do...he's driven the car with them on.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I would have a look on some European websites as they still fit smaller wheels than we seem to, maybe a German site ( for winter etc) your big risk as pointed out is the insurance company unless you can prove that they are fitted to a cls somewhere..

I've seen cars in europe with steel wheels and covers which would only ever have alloys on in uk spec for example

That said people also fit much bigger wheels than a manufacturer often does as long as the offset and rolling circumference is correct....

Check it out properly...

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
Like this.......:p

Attachments

• small wheels.jpg
    small wheels.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
S

Stormbusta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 Class 2007 - GOne but Not Forgotton - My First Ever Merc. Now CLS 350 CDI 2010 with lots
They do clear the front Calipers.

Hi Naraic, they do clear the front callipers and there is no fouling anywhere - so they do seem to fit OK, and I drove about half a mile on them - should have taken some pics then - will do so later - and all seemed fine. Still not sure if it is safe to drive as the CLS is a very wide car and I can't find any examples of anyone else fitting 15 inchers to this model - I agree it does look daft, but if it is safe, then I only want to use them when it's icy and snowy for 3 months of the year perhaps. Thus protecting the lovely 19inch AMG Wheels which I want to garage during the Gritting Season. Does anyone know of any specific European sites where I might find examples of steel wheels on CLS or even E Class Mercs?

In addition, I've been driving since the early 1980's and I've had a few biggish cars: Ford Granadas - one was an estate 3.0Ltr Petrol Automatic - quite heavy car this - this was fitted with Steel 15inch wheels and I know at the time some had 14 inch steel wheels on. Another heavy car I owned was a Honda Legend, 3.2 Coupe. This was fitted with Factory fitted 14inch wheels and I upgraded to 16 inch ones, but there were no problems driving on 14 inch wheels - I'm wondering if we've all become a bit obsessed with our cars image rather than practicality etc.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Yes there are steels available for the w211 which I suppose the cls is sort of derived from but think the smallest are to fit 205/55/16 not 15 inch

Car wheels have got a lot bigger over the years but that doesn't mean it would be safe or more specifically approved on yours... I mean there must be a weight difference between your old c class and the cls. Just been sort of down this route with the wife's smax which despite being a mondeo base is simply too heavy to use the mondeo space saved wheel there isn't one and as such is not approved ( so I bought a full size and half filled the boot lol)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom