190d stuck in 5th gear

S

steve--o

Hi all
my merc 190d (1989 2.5 5 cylinder deisel ) started grating through the gear stick in 1 to 4 gears.
when i changed into 5 th gear its now jammed in 5th.

just wondered if its terminal and box out,or if its somthing on the gear leaver that i can do with the box still in the car ?

also if the box has to come out ,will it be reparable

thanks

steve in sunny Almeria :)

ps box was perfectly ok before the above happened and was only driven 2miles home with the fault

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

steve--o

just wondered if anybody had any pointers ,before i take the box out

ta

steve ;)

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
In the absence of any other replies,and on the off chance that your gearbox has the same external linkage arrangement as a 202,have a check that the linkage rods on the left hand side of the gearbox are all in place.You will need to jack the car up securely and have a torch to hand.

OP
S

steve--o

Hi thanks for your help :) i will have a look,i was hoping sombody was going to come on and say
"yes its a fault on the 190d and you need to do this----- :confused: "

thanks again ,i will report back next week if its the linkage,or next march if its the box out ,as i need to dig a pit first ;)

cheers an keep on rocking

steve in sunny but 3 deg,s on a night Almeria :)

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
There are 3 rods plus gear shift levers on the side of the gearbox--- from the front of the car they are 3-4 1-2 and 5-R nearest the gear lever The rods are held on to the selector levers with clips which sometimes break causing problems. The rod lengths are adjusted by first putting the car into neutral. The short gear select levers should then all line up such you can put a 6mm drill or similar through all the alignment holes.

OP
S

steve--o

Hi thanks for the info,im going to have a looki looki sunday,cheers Steve :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wonder as it had been grating if the master or slave was leaking and the fault is now just a broken selector and Graeme Says,,it could just be in the selector

OP
S

steve--o

hi
no clutch is deffinatly ok,i caught my mrs forcing it into reverse with two hands,as opposed to letting the clutch out,spinning the box and selecting normally as us fellers do ,when i asked her what she was doing ,she seid she always did it like this,and didnt know you had to let the clutch out to let the box spin and aline the gears (jump up and down bang my head against the shed wall :rolleyes: :shock:)

if it isnt the selector rods,im going to get her a cheap chinsea socket set for x mass and she can take the fizzin box out !!!

cheers

steve :)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
it is possible you have a problem with the interlock protection doodah or whatever it is called. it is mounted on the L/H/S of the gearbox near the linkage arms, and is secured with 2x 10mm headed bolts. you can remove this first to check if the balls are locked in place or if it is broken. if it is a plastic one throw it away and buy a new one (which will be aluminium with a 123 part number!!). when you have this out see if you can shift the gears (not with engine running!). good luck.

OP
S

steve--o

stop press !! :D

the prop centre bearings collapsed and jamed the gear rods,un jammed the rods and its selecting fine (jump up and down very happy :D ,plus ive saved 9.99 on a 4000,peice chino socket set for the Mrs :D )

thanks for your help
cheers
Steve ,in a rainy spain :)

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
Good result,steve,o.Glad you didn't have to dig a pit,and so,I suspect,is your wife :D :D

OP
S

steve--o

arrr on closer inspection,the vibration damper has parted :D (still very happy tho unless it open wallet surgery for another damper :shock: )

im harvesting mi olives next week ,so im going to dig a little pit with the mini digger and get the prop off :)

cheers

Steve :)

OP
S

steve--o

are well ,all ,s well now,got a good s /h coupling 25 quid,dug mi pit :shock: job done :D
(the parted damper,slid down the propshaft and jammed the gear leaver rods up,hence stook in 5th )

if any of you self un enjoyed uk folks (like i was ) are running a repair shop at the mo,and your young fitter says he needes a special tool,show him this pic and say,"think yer self lucky lad with got some ramps,them spanish kids have to dig hole under the bugger first before thay get the spanners out !!:shock:
:lol:
p1010063v.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like your instant pit :D:D

OP
S

steve--o

to be honest Malcolm,ive been that busy doing mi kitchen :lol: the pits been a bit of a rush :lol:

joking aside tho,trying to work on yer back on thease jobs is a nightmere,so im going to hopefully get it blocked out & renderd 2010.

the pics was taken 5 days ago wile you poor buggers where up to your sills in snow :shock:

great to work outside,but come end of april 30 deg plus,june,july august 40 plus mad i think i prefer snow to 35 deg plus working

steve :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
to be honest Malcolm,ive been that busy doing mi kitchen :lol: the pits been a bit of a rush :lol:

joking aside tho,trying to work on yer back on thease jobs is a nightmere,so im going to hopefully get it blocked out & renderd 2010.

the pics was taken 5 days ago wile you poor buggers where up to your sills in snow :shock:

great to work outside,but come end of april 30 deg plus,june,july august 40 plus mad i think i prefer snow to 35 deg plus working

steve :cool:

No snow where i live,,you are better off buying a pit fiberglass liner,,they do not leak

OP
S

steve--o

thanks Malcolm
mi old pit will have to be blocked / roded / rendered as the land is basikly sand and we get regular earth tremors :shock:
boxing day ! back on the spanners ! (bsa gearbox to day in the shed with mi TT video,s on :D )

cheers

Steve :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom