190E Camshaft Problems - Rattling Followers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Timperley

New Registration
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,
My name is Andy Timperley and I intend to purchase a 1990 Model 190E for my Father as a surprise Birthday present for helping me out over the years.
The particular vehicle in question has an intermittent follower rattle on tickover. The engine runs very sweetly otherwise and the owner has always used fully synthetic engine oil. Is this why the follower has become 'lazy' or is it a trait of the 190E. If I need to flush the oil system, will a mineral based flushing oil do the trick and how many times do I need to repeat the process before introducing semi-synthetic or mineral based products. In the event that the correct oil has been used how easy is it to change the followers in situ and I understand that they are fairly simple and inexpensive items. Your advice at this stage would be very welcome. My e-mail address is BikeDoctor @Tesco.net

Many thanks.

simon

Reaction score
190E Camshaft Problems

Hello Andy T.
If your 190E has always used fully synthetic oil & it has been changed at the requisite times, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to flush the system.The internals should be beautifully clean, it is one of facets of fully synthetics
If you suspect that engine oil changes have been neglected.Drain the oil hot,renew the filter & renew the oil with your chosen brand.
I would suggest that as the car has always been run on fully synthetic that it would good husbandry to continue using it .

David Halsey

Reaction score
190E Camshaft Problems

These engines do not take to flushing oils. If the engine oil is blackened do 2 oil changes, a day apart.
The intermittent ticking is more than likely a hydraulic follower, they are a fairly common item, but, do not cost much to replace(£5.00 each from me)

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
190E Camshaft Problems

Hiya all,

Its interesting to note. No body likes looking through the old Q&A, on this forum. Check out Pg5 "190 tappets need replacing". This will give you all my comment on this subjects.

As for fully synthetic oil. My own view is that its a waste of money!
Before you all burn your computors in disgust. None of us will ever use the oil to its full potential. The last time I looked at the packet of M1, it said it would last 25k, who in the right mind is going to chance it for that long!?!?!?! Then it says it should be changed as per manufacturers recomendations. Nice get out clouse eh! I have used M1 when I worked for the dealers, and still had problems with camshafts. Before that we used 15/40, in my humble opinion, with regards to wear and tear it there was no appreciable difference.
If my memory serves me correctly, in the early days M1, wasn't a recommended oil by MB, OK that's changed. Just like in the early days if your car had been modified by AMG you voided your warranty, and look at em now!!!! We use semi syn, thats only because my customers tell me thats what they want, and at times I have to pander their wims. Although against my own thoughts. With older 190's anyway, all your going to do is burn it a lot quicker cos its so thin. And the valves seals are probably a bit hard. Expensive oil to go burning me thinks!! Todays 15/40 are so much better than they were a few years ago, and I am not talking about ultra cheap cooking fat oil, but Duckhams and Castrol, all good stuff.

Any way thats my thoughts on the subject.

Look forward to reading all your comments. What a forum for??????????? if not to voice every body's opinion. I quite enjoy reading all the different thoughts.

Sorry if I go on a bit.

Regards
Andy@mercedesservicing.com

simon

Reaction score
190E Camshaft Problems

I have seen too many threads on this particular subject To want to contribute thank you Andy, I have read so many learned articles that I almost believe I could be a
chemist in the oil industry! Fascinating subject - why not hold a survey when you have discussed it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom