190E How to seperate window regulator and motor

Stevie A

Reaction score
I managed to find a new electric window motor (without the regulator) for my 190E.

I have taken the old regulator out complete with the motor still on. The motor is held onto the regulator by 3 cross headed screws, but one is impossible to get to without taking the regulator apart I presume. There is a large circlip type spring in the centre of the regulator - does this hold the regulator parts together? Or is it riveted together at the factory?

Has anyone swapped / changed the motor on a window regulator before?

Please advise.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I’m not too familiar with the front mechanism but I think that the same principles apply, as with the rear mechanism, regarding the way the motor is connected to the lifting mechanism, See picture M and N here.
What is preventing the 1 fixing screws are coming out, it should be just a mater of separating the two parts, the will be a thigh fit so some wiggling may be required.

Is this your setup below. I don’t see any circlips in diagram.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=201034&M=102%2E983&GA=722%2E410&GM=717%2E404&L=765%2E902&CT=F&cat=500&SID=82&SGR=405&SGN=12

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=201034&M=102%2E983&GA=722%2E410&GM=717%2E404&L=765%2E902&CT=F&cat=500&SID=72&SGR=045&SGN=03

Dec

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
On the later E class the regulator motor is unscrewed where it is attached to the regulator and then rotated before it can be removed. See the DIY post.

Dec - your DIY would be a great addition on this forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On the later E class the regulator motor is unscrewed where it is attached to the regulator and then rotated before it can be removed. See the DIY post.

Dec - your DIY would be a great addition on this forum.

You are right please Dec put your article in the DIY,,the one in the link

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It is there already, it’s a bit complicated, only part of it is in the DIY Bodywork section because I ran out of picture space when I originally posted it but there is a link in it to the full version on my free web space.

I see a similar Window Regulator DIY by Chris in the Electrical section so one of them is in the wrong place.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is there already, it’s a bit complicated, only part of it is in the DIY Bodywork section because I ran out of picture space when I originally posted it but there is a link in it to the full version on my free web space.

I see a similar Window Regulator DIY by Chris in the Electrical section so one of them is in the wrong place.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Dec

Can you ask a mod to sort it out please

OP
Stevie A

Stevie A

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I've been away from home so hence delayed reply. The front mechanism is on a toothed cog system, not a cable. The links that Dec has provided show it on detail.ru. The second link shows what it looks like. I am going to take the regulator out again and see if I can separate the motor from it. Once I figure it out I will post.

I did think about rotating the motor to get access to the third screw but it was still impossible to get access to it. I did think also about drilling through the plate to get to the screw.

I have a question for Malcolm - the old window motor still works when not connected to the glass, and will move the glass only a little when connected. I have greased the guide rails etc.
What is it in the electrical motor that causes it to lose power? What part would need replaced? As, I can get to the inners of the armature etc on the old motor.
Can you buy new inner parts for these from a Bosch service centre?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for replies.

I have a question for Malcolm - the old window motor still works when not connected to the glass, and will move the glass only a little when connected. I have greased the guide rails etc.
What is it in the electrical motor that causes it to lose power? What part would need replaced? As, I can get to the inners of the armature etc on the old motor.
Can you buy new inner parts for these from a Bosch service centre?

If the motor works and spins when not under load, then put it back in with the glass attached, then put a voltmeter over the motor connector and see if the full 12 volts is being applied,,a motor cannot lose power, but a poor earth wire may be the reason, or is the glass to tight in the tracks, these motors do contain a thermal overload 3 sec

OP
Stevie A

Stevie A

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for replies. I'll get a pal's volt meter and try that, and have a look for a regulator without the motor. Cheers.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom