1970 280SE - Cost of ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Thomas

New Registration
Reaction score
I have seen an advert for one of these and I am quite tempted.  What should I expect to pay?  Are parts and servicing terribly expensive?

Thanks

Graham

Simon Gray

Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
1970 280SE

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I &"$*^" password didn't work.

I run a 1972 280SE (2.8) and I bought it about 6 weeks ago for £2200. The critical thing is to get one that doesn't have any rot underneath, so I'm told, and mine doesn't (I so I've also been told).
I held out for a full year's MOT from the purchaser and I made him put a new exhaust on (costs around £240).
I've heard that prices can go as high as £8000 but I've never seen one at this level. Most of the ones I loked at were £1500-£3500.
I don't know about parts prices yet. Mine runs ok on LRP but remember that a 2.8 litre car will only do 20mpg at a push and 17-18 is more normal. 3.5 and 4.5 V8s are thirstier I assume.
My car is not very quick either. Fine once you're moving but remember that this is a lot of car and most are automatic. She's plenty capable enough on the motorway but don't expect good acceleration from the lights. That said, pushing Blu down a twisty bit at speed is a liberating experience.

If you like the old stacked headlight look then don't compromise - buy a W108. I nearly bought a 1980 car and I know I wouldn't have been happy.

If you want some pictures look at www.geocities.com/worldofblu

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom